Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Another stupid avatar topic...

For any questions, comments, problems or suggestions about anything on this website.
Postby Coasterman Jro on June 11th, 2003, 1:21 pm
Would it be possible to allow linking to offsite avatars? The problem with having a small gallery is that some people have the same avatar. That tends to make things confusing. If you're briefly overviewing posts in a topic, it's easy to tell what people post when, because you'll notice their avatar is the same in the different posts. But when people all have the same avatar, its harder to tell who is posting what, because you can't just view the avatar and tell who the person is. Also, avatars help develop the personality of forum members, and help detract from the impersonal nature of disscussion boards.
Jeff Rowe
Coasterman Jro

Postby SFGA 11 on June 11th, 2003, 2:08 pm
I think that would be great idea. I, myself get my posts mixed up with other peoples posts, because I have the same avatar as them.
SFGA 11

Postby CoasterDave316 on June 11th, 2003, 4:11 pm
We have had people ask this in the past. The reason we don't allow linking to other sites is because people will link avatars from sites that aren't theres. Which will take away from the site owners bandwidth, and they would also be using the image without permission.We may even be making it a rule that you can't post offsite pictures in your signature like you have if it gets severe. We want the forums to load up as quick as possible for people with slow connections, and if it gets loaded with images in Signatures or hugh pictures in offlink avatars that will slow things down.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Coasterman Jro on June 11th, 2003, 6:15 pm
Well as far as my signature goes, and my avatar would go, both were made by me, using photoshop and imageready, and composed of photographs I took myself. Never the less, I understand where you're coming from. I failed to think that the linking of the banner and avatar would take up CF's bandwith as well. If my banner does become a problem, let me know and I'll gladly remove it.Now let me ask this. If you don't want to include linking off site, could you at least expand the gallery? I would be happy to help make avatars for use in your gallery if you yourself don't have the time. Anyways, thanks for answering my question.
Jeff Rowe
Coasterman Jro

Postby CoasterDave316 on June 11th, 2003, 8:49 pm
I add a batch of new avatars every once in awhile. Ill probably add more sometime this month.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby GamRCFreak on June 17th, 2003, 4:32 pm
I also have the ability and the means to make avatars for you. I have a bunch of my pictures up on webshots. If you want me to make some avatars I can. You are also welcome to use my pictures.[/url]
you can't believe it - you didn't mean it
but they saw you do it and they know your name
GamRCFreak

Location: Hinsdale, IL in the summer, DeKalb IL in the School Year (Go Huskies!)

Postby T_Biggs on June 17th, 2003, 7:54 pm
Your image in your signature is fine until I see someone else has an image. Then I'll get on Dave's back again until he disables images in the forums. If you ask me, images in forums are stupid, anyways. Forums are for talking, not showing. If you want to show, use a link. Thats my philosiphy (I know its spelled wrong, you don't need to point that out.)
T_Biggs

Postby TooTired on June 20th, 2003, 1:11 pm
T_Biggs wrote:Your image in your signature is fine until I see someone else has an image. Then I'll get on Dave's back again until he disables images in the forums. If you ask me, images in forums are stupid, anyways. Forums are for talking, not showing. If you want to show, use a link. Thats my philosiphy (I know its spelled wrong, you don't need to point that out.)
Are you sure you'd want to completly disable images? Can't you just do it in the sigs...I'm pretty sure you can in VB.
TooTired

Postby RagingBullFan on June 20th, 2003, 11:07 pm
Just FYI this isn't VB, and disabling all images would really acomplish nothing.
Licensed Mechanical Engineer
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby TooTired on June 21st, 2003, 1:00 pm
Tom Crean - Traitor wrote:Just FYI this isn't VB, and disabling all images would really acomplish nothing.
I realise this but VB is based off PHP and you could probably find a hack, or modify files yourself to do such a thing.
TooTired

Return to Problems, Questions and Suggestions Forum