Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2022 Speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby sfgamnthemoon on March 24th, 2022, 2:14 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:
Jodon wrote:I find it odd and a bit concerning that DC Universe is slated to open with the park in 22 days and yet the media release featured renderings and no actual pictures of the changes.

It's all a bit underwhelming. I get that Six Flags is trying to get the most out of their IP agreement with DC, but this is so meh. I wish SFGAm would stop half-heartedly keep trying to be a semi-theme park. Either do themed areas and do them well or just stop trying.
I don’t think there’s anything to be concerned about. V2 was already being painted and rethemed late last year. The app has an actual picture of Aquaman:Splashdown sign and Whirligig is dismantled every winter anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure the sign on Aquaman is just the logo on top of the YC sign if that’s what you meant

sfgamnthemoon

Postby Aero737 on March 24th, 2022, 7:16 pm
Superheros are in right now. Gotta capitalize on that. I will cherish my soon to be collectors item V2 fountain drink cup from the veeeeery early 00's.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby JackGlass on March 24th, 2022, 8:32 pm
Aero737 wrote:Superheros are in right now. Gotta capitalize on that. I will cherish my soon to be collectors item V2 fountain drink cup from the veeeeery early 00's.

Speaking of nostalgia. Look what I found in my old Intro to tech folder :lol:
Attachments
glad.jpg
JackGlass

Postby Viper 88 on March 25th, 2022, 4:16 am
I'm a park purist gotta be honest I hate it! I'm sorry but soon the entire park will be completely generic!
Viper 88

Postby [jonrev] on March 25th, 2022, 10:08 am
No surprises here. Yankee Harbor has had an identity crisis for so long I remember a full retheme being speculated when I first joined this forum. Joker's opening in 2017 pretty much guaranteed this.
[jonrev]

Postby JackGlass on March 25th, 2022, 10:20 am
[jonrev] wrote:No surprises here. Yankee Harbor has had an identity crisis for so long I remember a full retheme being speculated when I first joined this forum. Joker's opening in 2017 pretty much guaranteed this.

Yes. I remember seeing rumors on Screamscape back in 2004 that Yankee Harbor would get a retheme like Mardi Gras but it never happened.

I also agree with Sven18 they will probably extend DC Universe in the Future all the way to Superman and Dark Knight. Hell maybe even all of Orleans Place
JackGlass

Postby CoasterRiderSC on March 25th, 2022, 1:29 pm
So does The Flash: Vertical Velocity count as a new credit, lol??
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby sfgamnthemoon on March 25th, 2022, 2:44 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:So does The Flash: Vertical Velocity count as a new credit, lol??

In my opinion no but it depends for each person
sfgamnthemoon

Postby JaminOut on March 25th, 2022, 8:42 pm
I am not a fan of the area rebranding at all. It’s simply putting lipstick on a pig. However, I have hope that the Capones remodel will be worthwhile and that some of the current underutilized buildings will actually see a breath of life for the first time in ages. Does anyone think there is any chance the holding brake on V2 makes a triumphant return?
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby staticshadows on March 25th, 2022, 8:52 pm
It appears that one of the buildings will be removed.

DC UNIVERSE, located in the former Yankee Harbor section of the park, will also offer new dining and shopping experiences, as well as elevated guest comforts, like a broad, open midway, new patio space to enjoy refreshments and photo op installations featuring favorite DC characters.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/events/all-new-dc-universe
staticshadows

Postby gottastrata33 on March 26th, 2022, 2:16 am
In response to extending DC, I think they need to get rid of Roaring Rapids & replace it with a coaster for the Mardi Gras section. Hell, use the "Zydecko Scream" name again from SFNO. A multi looper would be great over there. Or a long shot, save up for that giga [emoji23] LOL. BUT seriously, The entire park doesn't need to DC.

Anyways, I agree & as I've mentioned this is just ...meh. Really weird to have that ride themed to aquaman honestly as it's intertwined with Loggers. Glad they partly kept the V2 name though. The villains swing is cool, we all saw that comin but what I didnt See was them opening up the midway. The antique photos building doesn't seem to be re-imagined in the renderings, it's just gone & in the announcement, it says an open midway as posted. So yeah, poof it's gone.

Too bad we didn't get that little janky Harley Quinn coaster from SFDK. haha that would have made me be like ummm Ok, interesting. It would just make more sense to go more "all out" on this with an actual new addition. Even a new flat ride. Anything they could have squeezed in. Who knows what will see in the coming years. The next coaster could go here. Replace Aquaman with Aquaman just as SFOT did. Weirder things have happened.

I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby RobSFGAm on March 26th, 2022, 11:19 am
staticshadows wrote:It appears that one of the buildings will be removed.

DC UNIVERSE, located in the former Yankee Harbor section of the park, will also offer new dining and shopping experiences, as well as elevated guest comforts, like a broad, open midway, new patio space to enjoy refreshments and photo op installations featuring favorite DC characters.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/events/all-new-dc-universe

I am thinking the old antique photo shop building probables got removed to make room for the wide walkway.
Plus that will allow for more visibility to Aquamans entrance as well.
I am wonder if the log flume will now be treated like Yankee Clipper was in prior seasons where it only run for a weeks a year. I like the log flume teaming better, but prefer the single drop of Aquaman / Yankee Clipper more.
I wish they could do a little more re-themeing of this attraction to make it more unique to the Aquaman theming. Ideally they should have painted the ride entire structure blue as it could have used a paint job as well as differentiate it from Loggers Run. I am assuming they will add the superhero cutouts through the queue line like Superman, but not thinking there will be much more than that done to it.
Also Captain Cold Ice Cream should have been Mr. Freeze Ice Cream, unless they want to save that name for future attraction
Last edited by RobSFGAm on March 26th, 2022, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobSFGAm

Postby sfgamnthemoon on March 26th, 2022, 11:20 am
IMG_2078.jpg

Highlighted in red is what i suppose is going to be gone in order for wider pathways

sfgamnthemoon

Postby gottastrata33 on March 26th, 2022, 8:43 pm
I thought "why not Mr. Freeze ice cream?!" myself but I did some google image research on captain Cold & he is a direct villain to the Flash. So it makes more sense now. I really do hope we see a new addition to this area in the coming years to really liven up the area & the more I think about it, the more I could easily see Mardi Gras leaving in the future. Just sucks cause I like the theme & names of the area.

I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby dave41580 on March 27th, 2022, 11:14 pm
While I'm not thrilled with a half-assed rebrand of an area, I can't say I've genuinely liked the fact Yankee Harbor has been an inconsistent land for 30 years since Batman came about in 1992. Yankee Harbor from 1976-1991 had nautical theming, a lighthouse, and even a sandy beach compliments of Tidal Wave's queue from 1978-1991. Batman removed the area's beach and nautical theming, and the last remaining remnant of original theming, the light house, was removed for the 2001 season when V2 came about (which in itself was a no-theme ride).

I don't expect or care that the park will never have Disney level theming, but the inconsistency of the lands and rides they name is more annoying to me. I hope they expand this new DC land further down the line to encompass most if not all of Mardi Gras/Orleans Place. It's not as though the theme of this area save for some cleverly named New-Orleans-esque rides would be missed. The French Quarter it is not. Superman and Dark Knight sealed the deal in that regard.

Tbh, even Marriott when they owned the park 37+ yers ago began not taking their own planned themed lands into account with new ride additions. I.E. 1980 Demon rebrand in the turn of the century county fair land, the 1983 Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote themed The Edge in their New Orleans area, or the 1984 Colorado white water rafting adventure White Water Rampage in their New Orleans area as well.
dave41580

Postby gottastrata33 on March 30th, 2022, 3:27 am
I agree honestly. You have valid points. I would love to see a Mardi Gras/Nola themed coaster replace RR but it's a tiny "land" wedged between a literal DC area & two other DC character coasters. Plus a DC character brand is hella easy to market. So expanding it out would be more likely.

I just LOVE the Hangover name so much haha. Mostly cause it pissed some people off. C'mon - It's clever! So maybe it can easily become Harleys Hangover. There.

As mentioned, I'd love to see the park pull a SFOT & replace aqua man with Aquaman but call it "Aquaman: Tidal Wave". How it would fit Idk but I'm being hella hopeful. Cause I'm sorry this half assed retheme of a 30+ year old flume intertwined with Loggers Run just isn't great.
gottastrata33

Postby Muck Finnesota on March 30th, 2022, 10:18 am
Not much to add that hasn't already been said... Half-assed re-branding and identity crisis sum up my thoughts well. Not surprised. I'm very glad V2 is sticking around, though. Hopefully it's re-brand and fresh coat of paint indicate it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby CoasterRiderSC on March 30th, 2022, 10:30 am
JaminOut wrote:I am not a fan of the area rebranding at all. It’s simply putting lipstick on a pig. However, I have hope that the Capones remodel will be worthwhile and that some of the current underutilized buildings will actually see a breath of life for the first time in ages. Does anyone think there is any chance the holding brake on V2 makes a triumphant return?

Ben - that holding brake is never coming back. I read somewhere that it put too much stress on the train or the brake itself
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on March 30th, 2022, 3:39 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
JaminOut wrote:I am not a fan of the area rebranding at all. It’s simply putting lipstick on a pig. However, I have hope that the Capones remodel will be worthwhile and that some of the current underutilized buildings will actually see a breath of life for the first time in ages. Does anyone think there is any chance the holding brake on V2 makes a triumphant return?

Ben - that holding brake is never coming back. I read somewhere that it put too much stress on the train or the brake itself
I think if they really wanted to make it work, they could. Steel Venom at Valleyfair is the same model as V2 and has the same support structure. It would just be a matter of getting the infrastructure back in place - unless there is reason it was removed other than the cost?
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby gottastrata33 on March 31st, 2022, 12:47 am
Hey, we don't know - the holding brake return could be part of the overall re-theme. I'd be thrilled with that cause I've often wondered how some of the others brought theirs back while the others kept it "off".
gottastrata33

Postby coasterfanatic on March 31st, 2022, 12:50 am
gottastrata33 wrote:Hey, we don't know - the holding brake return could be part of the overall re-theme. I'd be thrilled with that cause I've often wondered how some of the others brought theirs back while the others kept it "off".
Give that they’ve removed some of the brakes on the spike to replace brakes in the station, I don’t think it’s coming back. It’s definitely not returning as part of the re-theme

And coaster rider is right. It was “turned off” (and now partially removed) because of the stress it on the track, ride and breaks themselves.

coasterfanatic

Postby gottastrata33 on March 31st, 2022, 12:53 am
Well, boo hoo. Sucks but we've been without it for many years so it's not gonna effect the ride experience as we know it now.
gottastrata33

Postby Coaster Justin on April 1st, 2022, 11:33 am
Hope it gets these trains

926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby gottastrata33 on April 1st, 2022, 11:56 pm
Imagine it actually got the new style trains. The holding brake def wouldn't be comin back but helll yeah haha but I'm sorry I dont think it's happening.
gottastrata33

Postby FParker185 on April 3rd, 2022, 10:49 pm
V2 is already on it's second set of trains, don't think they'd dump the cash for a 3rd set
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum