Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Coaster Justin on October 17th, 2023, 6:59 pm
JackGlass wrote:I would love to see a Ferris wheel replace hangover. It would finally fill the sky whirl void

Please an Intamin Coaster Wheel. Probably too big

Or maybe a Vekoma Wheel?
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Muck Finnesota on October 20th, 2023, 2:26 pm
What are thoughts on any November operating dates this year? Have they usually been announced/shown on the schedule at this point in the season in the past?
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby coasterfanatic on October 20th, 2023, 2:28 pm
Muck Finnesota wrote:What are thoughts on any November operating dates this year? Have they usually been announced/shown on the schedule at this point in the season in the past?
Last day of park operations is 10/31. Any November days would have likely been announced already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby Agent on October 20th, 2023, 9:01 pm
Muck Finnesota wrote:What are thoughts on any November operating dates this year? Have they usually been announced/shown on the schedule at this point in the season in the past?

Supposedly, the park president said he was considering doing Holiday in the Park this year. It's possible they might announce that instead of another Veteran's Day weekend opening (last years Veteran's Day weekend was a little emptier than an average Summer day so perhaps management doesn't see a benefit in opening).

If I'm not mistaken, Fright Fest was originally supposed to run only til October 29th but got extended to the 31st a few weeks ago. The park is very spontaneous with what events it has and axes so I wouldn't be surprised if HitP gets announced all late.
Agent

Postby coasterfanatic on October 20th, 2023, 9:05 pm
Agent wrote:

Supposedly, the park president said he was considering doing Holiday in the Park this year. It's possible they might announce that instead of another Veteran's Day weekend opening (last years Veteran's Day weekend was a little emptier than an average Summer day so perhaps management doesn't see a benefit in opening).

If I'm not mistaken, Fright Fest was originally supposed to run only til October 29th but got extended to the 31st a few weeks ago. The park is very spontaneous with what events it has and axes so I wouldn't be surprised if HitP gets announced all late.
Holiday in the Park is not returning. The park would have had to do significant decorating already if that was the case. Plus it was cut because it wasn’t profitable and was a logistical nightmare.

Instead, there’s a third party company renting out the Six Flags parking lot and doing a drive thru holiday display in the parking lot. carousel Plaza is expected to be open on the days of the drive thru. This is not run by Six Flags and passes and memberships are not valid.

coasterfanatic

Postby Tardis1972 on October 22nd, 2023, 1:05 pm
Demon has finally reopened.
Tardis1972

Postby Agent on October 22nd, 2023, 1:58 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Holiday in the Park is not returning. The park would have had to do significant decorating already if that was the case. Plus it was cut because it wasn’t profitable and was a logistical nightmare.

Instead, there’s a third party company renting out the Six Flags parking lot and doing a drive thru holiday display in the parking lot.

That's what I meant, Holiday in the Park Lite :lol:

Anyhow, it's now on the Great America website, running from November 17th to December 31st.
Agent

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 22nd, 2023, 3:19 pm
Yesterday (10/21) had to be the busiest day of the year at the park! I was there 11 AM to 740 PM. When I went on Bull it was only running 2 trains! There was a slight rain resulting in 30 minute delay. I asked one of the operators why aren't they running train 3 ?? He said "It can't run 3 trains in the rain." I absolutely don't believe that for a second! If rain was a limiting factor then how can any of its trains run in rain?? Also there was a row grouper at the entrance of Bull's station. That only made it so much slower operations!!

I also asked why Giant Drop was down all day. He said "because of the wind". There was literally NO wind most of the day!

Bull, Batman, Superman and possibly other rides were down BEFORE the rain delay....

It's almost as if Six Flags was doing all it could to make lines longer to coax people into buying flash passes! One guest told me that there were no more flash passes "available" and the office was closed so maybe they achieved their purpose??

Also, the super loop was actually running. I went on to get my last ever ride. 45 minutes wait which should have been like 25 or 30. They were literally loading ONE section at a time!! I asked why and the operator said "that's how we were told/taught to do it". What????

This is probably the LAST time I go there while Fright Fest is setup. At least I will never go back on a Saturday. THe morning and early afternoon was not bad but it got crazy around 4 PM.

I just go there for the rides so I would love if they had a weekend or two in November
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Tardis1972 on October 22nd, 2023, 3:51 pm
Was Demon running? Took them long enough to get Bulls third train running. If only they could do the same with Maxx Force.
Tardis1972

Postby coasterfanatic on October 22nd, 2023, 4:54 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Yesterday (10/21) had to be the busiest day of the year at the park! I was there 11 AM to 740 PM. When I went on Bull it was only running 2 trains! There was a slight rain resulting in 30 minute delay. I asked one of the operators why aren't they running train 3 ?? He said "It can't run 3 trains in the rain." I absolutely don't believe that for a second! If rain was a limiting factor then how can any of its trains run in rain?? Also there was a row grouper at the entrance of Bull's station. That only made it so much slower operations!!

I also asked why Giant Drop was down all day. He said "because of the wind". There was literally NO wind most of the day!

Bull, Batman, Superman and possibly other rides were down BEFORE the rain delay....

It's almost as if Six Flags was doing all it could to make lines longer to coax people into buying flash passes! One guest told me that there were no more flash passes "available" and the office was closed so maybe they achieved their purpose??

Also, the super loop was actually running. I went on to get my last ever ride. 45 minutes wait which should have been like 25 or 30. They were literally loading ONE section at a time!! I asked why and the operator said "that's how we were told/taught to do it". What????

This is probably the LAST time I go there while Fright Fest is setup. At least I will never go back on a Saturday. THe morning and early afternoon was not bad but it got crazy around 4 PM.

I just go there for the rides so I would love if they had a weekend or two in November
That is correct. Bull doesn’t run 3 trains in the rain.

coasterfanatic

Postby Agent on October 22nd, 2023, 5:13 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:Demon has finally reopened.

Indeed it did, but the rock formation in the second loop has been completely removed. RIP. At least now both the California and Illinois Demons are a bit more similar.
Agent

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 22nd, 2023, 6:54 pm
CoasterFanatic - Why can't Bull run 3 trains in the rain? Also I have yet to see Bull run 3 trains ANY time this year and I've been there 10x .

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 22nd, 2023, 6:59 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:Was Demon running? Took them long enough to get Bulls third train running. If only they could do the same with Maxx Force.

What are they saving Maxx 2nd train for?? I haven't seen it used all year!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on October 22nd, 2023, 7:45 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:CoasterFanatic - Why can't Bull run 3 trains in the rain? Also I have yet to see Bull run 3 trains ANY time this year and I've been there 10x .
That I’m not sure. You’d have to ask a ride op but I’ve heard that from several ride ops as well.

As for MaxxForce, they had issues with the second train at one point and sent it back to the manufacturer…there will also having some issues with the ride when it was running two trains. Not sure exactly what those were exactly.

And that’s probably true. Bulls third train is only really necessary on a day like yesterday. It does not meaningfully increase throughput unless they are hitting the exact interval each and every time.

coasterfanatic

Postby Tardis1972 on October 22nd, 2023, 8:43 pm
^ Someone mentioned (they said they were a ride opt) in the Airtime Thrills SFGAm visit video that the SOP was updated which is another reason for the one train.
Tardis1972

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 22nd, 2023, 9:05 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:^ Someone mentioned (they said they were a ride opt) in the Airtime Thrills SFGAm visit video that the SOP was updated which is another reason for the one train.

Can you elaborate on what "SOP was updated" means?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Tardis1972 on October 22nd, 2023, 9:10 pm
Standard Operating Procedures.
Again this was from someone in a YouTube comment section claiming to be a SFGAm ride opt. I have no way of knowing if that’s true or not.
Tardis1972

Postby JaminOut on October 22nd, 2023, 9:34 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:^ Someone mentioned (they said they were a ride opt) in the Airtime Thrills SFGAm visit video that the SOP was updated which is another reason for the one train.
As for why the SOP was updated, I recall a while back hearing something about marginal capacity increase between one and two trains on MaxxForce.

The time it takes for the launch to reset is similar to the minimum load time for operations. Adding a second train therefore cannot meaningfully decrease dispatch intervals, restricting capacity improvement.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Tardis1972 on October 22nd, 2023, 9:49 pm
Not to mention with two trains they couldn’t launch one until the other was unlocked.
Tardis1972

Postby coasterfanatic on October 22nd, 2023, 9:50 pm
Yes. That pretty much sums up the MaxxForce second train.

Demons third train was the same way. It did not meaningfully increase capacity so now they just rotate the trains.

Also, the no third train during the rain I believe is not unique to Bull or are park. At least amongst B&Ms, I believe that is standard is you can’t run 3 trains in rain.

coasterfanatic

Postby coasterfanatic on October 23rd, 2023, 4:06 pm

Bye Bye StupidLoop

coasterfanatic

Postby Tardis1972 on October 23rd, 2023, 4:18 pm
^ Revolution also.
Tardis1972

Postby Goku1910 on October 23rd, 2023, 10:17 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Yes. That pretty much sums up the MaxxForce second train.

Demons third train was the same way. It did not meaningfully increase capacity so now they just rotate the trains.

Also, the no third train during the rain I believe is not unique to Bull or are park. At least amongst B&Ms, I believe that is standard is you can’t run 3 trains in rain.

Worked at the park 2009-2012. When lockers were a thing, Demon three train ops actually did improve to the point it was capable of hitting the million rider mark before the end of the year.

When bins came back, everyone put on their stupid caps and capacity plummeted as a result.
Goku1910

Postby coasterfanatic on October 23rd, 2023, 10:20 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:Yes. That pretty much sums up the MaxxForce second train.

Worked at the park 2009-2012. When lockers were a thing, Demon three train ops actually did improve to the point it was capable of hitting the million rider mark before the end of the year.

When bins came back, everyone put on their stupid caps and capacity plummeted as a result.
Makes sense. Since you worked there and there’s been a discussion about it, do you why Bull doesn’t run 3 trains in the rain?

coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 23rd, 2023, 11:01 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:^ Revolution also.

Pretty much!! Good riddance to both!!

CoasterRiderSC

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum