Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Iron Wolf Last Rides/Removal Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Cole on July 20th, 2011, 10:22 pm
It has been confirmed by Six Flags Great America that Iron Wolf will cease operations September 5th, 2011.

"After a long 21 year history at the park, we will be removing Iron Wolf. Make sure to get your last rides in – Iron Wolf’s Last Stand is September 5."

This is the official "Last Rides/Removal" thread. Post memories, pictures, thoughts, anything you'd like to share honoring the ride. RIP Iron Wolf.
Last edited by Cole on August 7th, 2011, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby tribar on July 20th, 2011, 10:52 pm
I think something is going on
tribar

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 20th, 2011, 11:40 pm
To me, it just makes sense that if we are rumored to get another coaster, I think they would take Iron Wolf just because they want to save money on operation costs. They did it with taking away Deja Vu, and eventually getting Dark Knight. They took away Looney Tunes area to save money on operations for the new waterpark additions. It's just that's what they are doing now. They are adding stuff, but taking stuff away instead of just adding more.

Anyway, how this whole board colors have changed to possibly Iron Wolf, it probably is for Six Flags America because they are just starting construction on taking down Skull Mountain, and all of sudden here comes the Iron Wolf stuff. Seems weird to do it right now. Just saying.

If it's going I understand why, but I wish some other roller coaster would go instead.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Cole on July 21st, 2011, 7:50 am
^I agree. I knew Iron Wolf's day would come but not this soon.
Cole

Postby jpp858 on July 21st, 2011, 9:36 am
On CoasterBuzz, it is posted that there is a rumor Iron Wolf will close on 9/5/11.
http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/59091.aspx

Iron Wolf to possibly close at Six Flags Great America.

I am not one for rumors, but from what I have been told, Iron Wolf will cease operation at SFGAm on 9/5/11. Just spreading the word if you like this coaster (even though most don't). So get your rides in before and up until this date.

Like I said, not into the rumor thing, but I am sure this is legit!!!!
jpp858

Postby ragingbull1331 on July 21st, 2011, 2:32 pm
I have been waiting so long for the park to get rid of this ride, does this now open up a large plot of land for a new coaster since Iron Wolf and Splashwater Falls is gone?
RIP IRON WOLF

Twitter: ILoveJimmy_Pop
ragingbull1331

Postby Galvan on July 21st, 2011, 4:53 pm
Until an official annoucement is made by the park, I wouldn't believe a Damn thing you hear on the internet, especially from a terrible site like Coasterbuzz
Galvan

Postby Cole on July 21st, 2011, 5:04 pm
ragingbull1331 wrote:I have been waiting so long for the park to get rid of this ride, does this now open up a large plot of land for a new coaster since Iron Wolf and Splashwater Falls is gone?

Unless it went up and way over the midway, no. Their not very close.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby Falcon on July 21st, 2011, 5:30 pm
I hope it leaves this year. If you combine its area with the unused wilderness theater you could put a fairly large coaster there. It also doesnt look like it is being maintained so the park probably isnt planning on keeping it much longer.
Falcon

Postby Jcoaster95 on July 21st, 2011, 5:42 pm
This sucks, I love Iron Wolf :'(
Gravity Group fan
Jcoaster95

Postby Galvan on July 21st, 2011, 5:45 pm
Cole wrote:
ragingbull1331 wrote:I have been waiting so long for the park to get rid of this ride, does this now open up a large plot of land for a new coaster since Iron Wolf and Splashwater Falls is gone?

Unless it went up and way over the midway, no. Their not very close.

It is possible to connect those two locations, although highly unlikely and won't happen, to just make a know it all statement like that is incorrect, SFOG has this with Goliath, and its completely possible.
Galvan

Postby Viper 88 on July 21st, 2011, 7:27 pm
Great I was like this far from getting on IW if the belts were a little bigger it would have closed. Now I am not going to get the chance to ride it Just like I never was on Sky Whirl too young and my dad didn't like the fact the ride was only held up by a few chains.
Viper 88

Postby Cole on July 21st, 2011, 7:47 pm
RBrulle wrote:Great I was like this far from getting on IW if the belts were a little bigger it would have closed. Now I am not going to get the chance to ride it Just like I never was on Sky Whirl too young and my dad didn't like the fact the ride was only held up by a few chains.

You've never been on Iron Wolf!!!??
Cole

Postby [jonrev] on July 21st, 2011, 7:56 pm
Lame. Binge-riding time.
[jonrev]

Postby Necropolis on July 21st, 2011, 10:29 pm
Na na na na. Na na na na hey ey ey GOODBYE!!!! :D
Necropolis

Postby CstrFan512 on July 21st, 2011, 11:21 pm
I don't know about you guys but im kinda split on this one. It is rough, but it still is B&M's first coaster. Oh well I'm getting my last rides on it soon.
Don't fight the Bull, ride the Bull!

Best 2011 Moment: "I lost my phone on Raging Bull!"
"WELL I LOST A SOCK!!!"
Best 2012 Moment: "No good! DREAM ON!"
Best 2013 Moment: "I came here for Auntie Anne's pretzels and coasters......in that order!"
CstrFan512

Postby DeathbyDinn on July 22nd, 2011, 12:55 am
As stated, CoasterBuzz is a terrible site, and the park and Hank have said numerous times that the ride won't be leaving anytime soon. So stop worrying about getting last rides in, Iron Wolf won't be closing this year.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Galvan317 on July 22nd, 2011, 1:12 am
Where has Hank said Iron Wolf won't be closing this year?
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby DeathbyDinn on July 22nd, 2011, 1:16 am
^ http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... 0#p1064521

At the TPR day last year he also said in the Q&A that he has no plans to remove IW and wants to keep as many classic rides in the park as possible.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Galvan317 on July 22nd, 2011, 1:20 am
That letter is fake. Also, what was he going to say last year? "We totally want to take this ride out but not for a couple more years" ?
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby DeathbyDinn on July 22nd, 2011, 1:36 am
^True, but how he was talking about wanting to keep the classic rides, and the fact that the park was quick to put out the rumor of IW going to SFA when that first popped up, just doesn't make me think it'll be leaving this year, or within the next few. I'm hopeful the park will just crack down and upgrade it, instead of letting it get rougher and rougher for a few years and then taking it out.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Galvan317 on July 22nd, 2011, 1:46 am
I'm sure they do want to keep classic rides: hence why rides like Whizzer, Demon, Eagle, and many of the classic flats are on rigurous refurb schedules and get a lot of mechanical and cosmetic work on a yearly basis. I used to work on Iron Wolf, they treat it about as well as Splashwater Falls and the Space Shuttle Simulator, not on the path of one of the classic rides they are trying to preserve.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby [jonrev] on July 22nd, 2011, 3:27 am
Plans change in a heartbeat at our park, what Hank said last year may have zero relevance today..... *cough* Whizzerman Ultimate Flight *cough* Chang Lantern *cough*

The "letter" on ThemeParkRevenue is, as BP said, is coming from a craptastic source. At this point, the best I can say is ride it with a supply of Advil on hand; if it goes be thankful you had a chance to say goodbye, and if it stays hopefully we've converted a hater.
[jonrev]

Postby ilrider on July 22nd, 2011, 8:24 am
Screamscape's sources also confirming IW is gone. Interesting. Guess the park needs to address this soon, and be honest.
ilrider

Postby tribar on July 22nd, 2011, 8:37 am
First of all SF told everyone that GASM would not be leaving the park. There was also a similiar thing with a date that happaned with Chang. IW is not a classic and if the park cared about classics then we would have Great America Raceway. Finally Hank said last year that we would NOT get a water attraction for 2011

http://www.sfgamworld.com/forum/great-america-forum/topic10921.html
tribar

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum