Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby sfgamnthemoon on May 25th, 2023, 4:17 pm
Sky Trek Tower re opens this Saturday if you missed Marcus Leshock’s WGN report
sfgamnthemoon

Postby Coaster Justin on May 28th, 2023, 2:44 pm
It wasn't running when I was there.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby sfgamnthemoon on May 28th, 2023, 3:16 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:It wasn't running when I was there.
It was running Saturday when I was there but had difficulties after the first riders were finished; it closed at 2pm on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sfgamnthemoon

Postby Coaster Justin on May 28th, 2023, 6:34 pm
Is the train running?

Coaster Justin

Postby sfgamnthemoon on May 28th, 2023, 6:37 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:Is the train running?
From what I’ve seen, yes.

sfgamnthemoon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 28th, 2023, 8:38 pm
sfgamnthemoon wrote:

I was there 5/19 and no train running
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby sfgamnthemoon on May 28th, 2023, 8:40 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
sfgamnthemoon wrote:

I was there 5/19 and no train running
Everything started opening on Saturday: Aquaman, Sky Trek (which is only till 2pm daily), train (for some part of the day), some Hurricane Harbor slides, etc.

sfgamnthemoon

Postby Goku1910 on May 28th, 2023, 8:42 pm
Looks like just the usual early Summer Staffing problems. I wouldn't be overly concerned.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Coaster Justin on May 29th, 2023, 6:30 pm
Did DC Super Villains Swing get a new big sign?

Coaster Justin

Postby sfgamnthemoon on May 29th, 2023, 6:32 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:Did DC Super Villains Swing get a new big sign?
Nope, that was Aquaman. Super villains has the same sign as last season

sfgamnthemoon

Postby Coaster Justin on June 2nd, 2023, 1:47 pm
Korean Corn Dogs have been added to the Dining Pass

Coaster Justin

Postby Goku1910 on June 10th, 2023, 4:16 pm
I'm sure everyone already knows but Buccaneer Battle is officially walled-off.

Moose Burger's dining area as well.

Hometown Bathrooms near lobster and Strutters is open again with some small renovations inside.
Goku1910

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 18th, 2023, 10:13 pm
Just learned that our park is offering Bring A Friend for 19.99 for both Great America and Hurricane Harbor for the rest of June! The sales must be hurting for them to offer that.

I found out by logging into the portal because a family member was asking me about it.

I also see an offer for bring friend for 34.99 for ANY day. Including FF! Wow!!

P.S. Hopefully the $19.99 doesn't bring out all the bad actors and trouble makers.....

CoasterRiderSC

Postby HCF on June 24th, 2023, 3:28 pm
Looks like the park is setting up an Esports gaming setup in the former Gotham city arcade, looks like this is our new addition to the park this year, according to the website, the gaming event starts in July. Very interesting, seems like the whole chain is following the Fiesta Texas example.
Some time, on way to successful, first of steps of all of the steps to being successful steps are hardest of all of the steps to successing.
HCF

Postby Coaster Justin on June 27th, 2023, 4:33 pm
I saw Giant Drop either testing or operating today.

Coaster Justin

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 27th, 2023, 9:07 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:I saw Giant Drop either testing or operating today.

Thanks for the update, Justin! It's about time that ride opens! (Condor too)

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Coaster Justin on July 1st, 2023, 3:33 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
Coaster Justin wrote:I saw Giant Drop either testing or operating today.

Thanks for the update, Justin! It's about time that ride opens! (Condor too)

And Roaring Rapids and Loggers Run

Course Six Flags can't build a Vekoma Kids coaster at SFStL, So I shouldn't expect much

Coaster Justin

Postby coasterfanatic on July 1st, 2023, 3:58 pm
I believe Condor is not open because they are waiting on a part…

Rapids has been testing and training the last few days so it’s got to be getting close.

coasterfanatic

Postby batmanfan80 on July 3rd, 2023, 6:10 am
Is the park as bad as they say on the news this year? All this talk about 5 minute dispatches with one train operation causing 60-90 min lines when no one is there. Ride closures with some not open yet. Add the cold and smoke and it's hard for me to justify driving 50 some miles. Six Flags based their whole business on insanely low prices and constant new attractions. While destroying their brand with hundreds of thousands of visitors every year by giving them a miserable experience. It was inevitable that they'd run out of space or cash to put new stuff in. There's not much they can do with Great America. Ship Raging Trimbrake to a small park where it'd make a splash and put in some record-breaking monster in its place? RMC The Eagle? Move Pretzelman? Replace Demon? Doing what they did with Iron Wolf seems to be the only real logical choice here.

Now we have this huge maintenance oversight with Carowinds. Makes people wonder how bad Six Flags must be about checking things. Guess there was some pepper spray incident and some other nonsense in the lot this year too? Not a lot of good press. Hopefully I can get to the park this week.
batmanfan80

Postby coasterfanatic on July 3rd, 2023, 8:44 am
The news has certain overdone it. Every coaster at Great America is running 2 trains. Some rides were closed because they were waiting for parts. Others are closed at times for staffing issues.

The security issues haven’t really been all that much. Be careful what you heard on the news. They tend to overblown things. It’s also wrong to jump to conclusions about the Carowinds incident. It’s not like every support of every ride is checked daily. And B&M is already there doing a thorough inspection.

coasterfanatic

Postby briphotoguy on July 8th, 2023, 12:23 pm
Haven’t been to the park since my one ride on Max Force a couple years back but I still have my membership. On the app I noticed a few rides were down. Demon for one, condor (I heard waiting for a part), the newer Larson looper (on the app this says it’s never open), giant drop was down extended time it seems. Has the park been having a hard time with staffing this year? Seems like a lot of key rides down. Whizzer today but probably due to rain. Regardless, seems like they continue to have staffing issues [emoji51] haven’t been in about 2 years myself. Anyone have any other insight if not staffing?

briphotoguy

Postby coasterfanatic on July 10th, 2023, 1:56 am
Staffing continues to be an issue but it’s certainly not as bad as it was the last few years. I think a lot has to do with the company’s focus and Salim. Salims a big cost saving guy. And I can’t imagine attendance has recovered that much given how empty the park has been and the endless Season Pass sales they keep running.

Drop opened late because they replaced the cables. I think the StupidLoops are starting to be phased out across the chain as Georgia took there’s out and I think one of the Texas parks just teased the removal of there’s as well.

Salim has done a lot of damage and now he’s trying to clean it up.

coasterfanatic

Postby Goku1910 on July 10th, 2023, 1:42 pm
coasterfanatic wrote: I think the StupidLoops are starting to be phased out across the chain as Georgia took there’s out and I think one of the Texas parks just teased the removal of there’s as well.

Has Mardi Gras even opened this year at all? I have not seen it run once in my 4 visits this year. I miss King Chaos.....
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Tardis1972 on July 10th, 2023, 6:33 pm
So according to SC we shouldn’t expect any major coasters for a while now. The rumor is the next 2-3 years the park wants to focus more on adding family rides and overall park improvements. This is coming from SC after all so take with a grain of salt.
Tardis1972

Postby Goku1910 on July 11th, 2023, 3:08 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:So according to SC we shouldn’t expect any major coasters for a while now. The rumor is the next 2-3 years the park wants to focus more on adding family rides and overall park improvements. This is coming from SC after all so take with a grain of salt.

I'm all for park improvements because the park is dirty. People need to admit this but when my standards are so low that I find the Bird-crap covered Cedar Point to be better than SFGAm, there's a problem.

As for the Family-focus....I find this hilarious. Not only have they been trying to mix in Family Rides in between Coasters but they've also failed to make their Kids areas better. The family Rides they've been choosing have also been misses, like the Larson Loop that's never open. When they removed Bugs Bunny National Park, they could have used some of the theme, signs, etc at Wiggles World when it was turned into Kidzopolis but they didn't. They've also allowed Camp Cartoon and Kidzopolis to deteriorate into an abysmal state.

I've been calling for Kidz to be turned into a Bugs Bunny Boom Town with the buildings and tent removed to expand closer to the railroad for years. Plant a few trees in the mid-sections of the midway and you have a little shade and a larger area to mess with.

This would require Eagle's Queue to be re-routed again but if Dare Devil Dive is actually on it's way out then that can be accomplished.
Goku1910

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum