Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Superman: Ultimate Flight Media Day 4-29-03

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby CoasterDave316 on April 29th, 2003, 6:21 pm
Today was Six Flags Great America's media day, and I went on behalf of SFGAmWorld to get a update for this site.After about 3 hours of sleep from 12-3a.m. I finally left the house around 3:30 and got there around 4:15. It was a very chilly morning and we waited and enjoyed a continental breakfast as they tested the ride. At about 5 or so I think (didn't have a watch). They let us in to ride the ride. I was on the first train out full of Acers.The station wasn't 100% complete yet, as a matter of fact the only thing that was really 100% complete was the ride itself. The airgates weren't even working yet, so they held us on the stairs until they opened the ride. When they let us in, I headed to the back and sat down in Row 8. The seats are very comfy and roomy, and when you pull down the harness the ankle brace things close too. It was very cold and exciting waiting to be dispatched on Superman for the first time, and it was a long wait since a news station was hooking up a camera. But thats to be expected because it was Media Day after all.Finally we were dispatched and off we went, going from siting down to prone position is so smooth. The lift was very quiet and very comfotable since all your weight really isn't on the restraints going up the lift, but rather more on your seat at that point. The first drop was very smooth and like most B&M's very smooth.Into the pretzel loop we went head over heels, into a extremely intense element! After hearing all that toned down talk, this is NOT toned down. I can't imagine SFOG's being more intense lol. After I finally got my breath back after it was sqeezed out of me you go into a nice diving turn through the pretzel loop. Then into the Horseshoe turn, this element is great especially if you are sitting on the left side. After that you go into another turn but not as steep.Then you go into the final helix, if you are sitting on the left side there are awesome arm choppers. Then you flip very smoothly around into the break run for the end of one incrediable ride!The ride is alot faster than it looks and very intense, my major concern about them taking Shockwave out and not having a really intense coasters is gone now because for the fifth time this is INTENSE!Six Flags was really gracious today with a free breakfest and lunch, I couldn't believe how nice they were and I would really like to thank them for inviting me to the event and for everything they did. They really did awesome job with this event.After nearly 40 rides on Superman today and one right next to Mr. Bolliger himself, this was a great day on a great coaster with a great Superhero.Random Notes:-There will be a big entrance to Superman, its not finished yet though but they said it should be by opening day. Not very many Superman logos around believe it or not, the truck with the logos must not have arrived yet lol.-Best seat on Superman is Row 8 on the left for sure, the front is no where near as intense as the back is.And once again thanks to the great staff at SFGAm, I can't begin to thank them enough.Click here to go to SFGAmWorld.com's Media Day update: http://www.sfgamworld.com/Photos/Constr ... MediaDay/A video has also been added to the Superman: Ultimate Flight page under Rollercoasters. Download it while you can it may come down if it takes up to much bandwidth!
Last edited by CoasterDave316 on May 1st, 2003, 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on April 29th, 2003, 6:32 pm
Sounds like you had an awesome time. You have no idea how jealous I am now. And man, 40 rides, that is a lot. You are very lucky. I can't wait til Saturday, its gonna be great.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby linebacker131 on April 29th, 2003, 6:52 pm
as that the only ride open, also how many trains where they running
linebacker131

Postby coastrcorey on April 29th, 2003, 7:10 pm
40 rides?!?! Not fair!!! Lol... Sounded awesome though :D:D:D! I can't wait!
coastrcorey

Postby 3Sfgam on April 29th, 2003, 7:40 pm
40 rides!!! i got alot of catching up to do. :wink:
3Sfgam

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on April 29th, 2003, 7:49 pm
wow!!! you're soooooooo lucky!!! 40 times!!!! well.....not to sound extremely jealous, but i think they should have limited the rides today....it really isnt fair for everyone else.... :lol: but any ways......your sooo lucky!!! can't wait to ride it THIS SATURDAY!!!!! whoo hoo!!!!
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby CoasterDave316 on April 29th, 2003, 7:59 pm
I must point out...NEARLY 40 rides, im not exactly sure, I sort of lost count around 23 or something.
Go Bulls!
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on April 29th, 2003, 8:24 pm
hahaha!!! :lol: hey, in one of your pictures....i noticed that the sky trek tower car-thingy wasn't at the top.....were they letting people on it??? were there any other rides open today???
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby Blinkcoaster on April 29th, 2003, 8:30 pm
Awsome dude. Im so jealous of you but also happy for u. Thats alot of rides on superman. Cant wait till Saturday :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D thats how happy im to go on saturday
Hey it could happen....
Blinkcoaster

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on April 29th, 2003, 8:30 pm
From what I've heard Superman was the only ride open.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby CoasterDave316 on April 29th, 2003, 8:47 pm
During the Opening Cermony thing, they were moving Sky Trek Tower up and down, it wasn't rotating though. I saw what looked like a news crew in there so they were just probably getting a cool shot. Did anybody see Ariel views on any news stations today? I saw what looked like ABC 7's helecopter and another one hovering above us.
Go Bulls!
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby SfGaMownz on April 29th, 2003, 9:12 pm
Sweet 40 rides!!!! Thats amazing. I'll see on saturday and tell you if SFOG is more intense or not. I have a question though. Did you see how long the que line streches, I am wondering how much walking is involved on short/slow days.
SfGaMownz

Postby TooTired on April 29th, 2003, 9:33 pm
I saw an arial shot of the lift/beggining of the first drop on a teaser add for fox news.
TooTired

Postby Aero737 on April 29th, 2003, 9:42 pm
wow, all I can say is wow. From what I have hears, the back row in the pretzil is one of the most intense elements on a coaster. Cant wait till sat. Did you see any of the WGN news crews? They were wearing tights and wigs...disturbing. :shock:
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby coasterguy on April 29th, 2003, 9:48 pm
very disturbing....
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on April 29th, 2003, 9:57 pm
I saw a guy dressed up as Captain America and another guy in a Superman suit and a wig. I don't get what's so disturbing about it but whatever...
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby coasterguy on April 29th, 2003, 9:58 pm
men don't like to see men in tights unless unless your (not you) gay
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby CoasterDave316 on April 29th, 2003, 10:11 pm
aero737 wrote:wow, all I can say is wow. From what I have hears, the back row in the pretzil is one of the most intense elements on a coaster. Cant wait till sat. Did you see any of the WGN news crews? They were wearing tights and wigs...disturbing. :shock:
Yeah I saw the WGN news crew, the guy dressed as Captain America was running all over the place, I saw him acting like he was beating up Bugs Bunny at one point. Not sure if it made it on T.V. or not though.
Go Bulls!
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on April 29th, 2003, 10:41 pm
I am really jealous yet I'm glad you got to ride it. 40 times that must have been awesome. I can't wait untill saturday. :lol:
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on April 29th, 2003, 10:50 pm
I just read on Coasterbuzz someone who went to Media Day said that an employee hinted SFGAm's next coaster would be a B&M coaster. I hope this is true and I bet it's a floorless. But I won't worry about that too much now and just enjoy the new ride for 2003.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby T_Biggs on April 29th, 2003, 10:51 pm
And one time, I heard we were getting a new B&M that was 480 feet tall. It was supposed to be trackless and carless too. :lol: Rumors are just rumors, don't take it as gospel, and you'll be fine, otherwise you will set yourself up for disappointment.
T_Biggs

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on April 29th, 2003, 10:56 pm
Dont give your hopes up. You really cant rely on what an employee said. They arent told what new rides the park is getting. If they did know they are not allowed to say anything about it.
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby whiteygabe1998 on April 30th, 2003, 6:08 am
first off i thank you for the good news and pics. 2nd dont talk about a new coaster when only one of us has been on the one for this year. 3rd how do you get to go to media day do you call them and ask them or something because in your pics i saw all ages even a real old guy.
whiteygabe1998

Postby NegativeGeez on April 30th, 2003, 6:16 am
they were probably just saying that cause mr. bolliger was there.
NegativeGeez

Postby CoasterMan629 on April 30th, 2003, 4:05 pm
Hey thats really really cool CoasterDude! How do you get to go to the media days!? It is cool also how they added the Superman logo in the fron tof the line entrance. Did they orginally have the building on top the entrance line like that before or did they just add it? Its also very cool how you didnt have to wait at all to ride it! That morning I was sooo happy to see the ride and the helecopter hovering over the park and showed V2. I was just so happy, it just got me mad because I got a detention for being late to my first hour because I had to wait to 8:55 for a freagen 5 minute report on a ride that could have taken like 20 minutes to describe! Arg! Anyway its also sucks how they did take out the coaster dude statue, the park could have made it some how match the new store "Heros" thats going there. Eh oh well! :?Great pics too!
It's not how high or how fast you build the roller coaster it's how smooth you build it!
CoasterMan629

Next

Return to Trip Reports