Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

PTR CP 6-1

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby tribar on June 8th, 2011, 3:33 pm
I went to CP for the first time. It was an overall good expierence alot of the rides were walk ons with a couple exceptions.

Finally a room with a view 8)

I don't get why ID here and TTD isn't. Maybe so families can have something to do besides Planet Snoopy

We then took a walk around

I wish this had been open

Couldn't get around to riding this

or this

The next day was the big day. We got to go in an hour early because we stayed on resort. Went straight to MF. Fun ride but could have more too it. Probably would be more fun in the back or the front. That was about a 5 minute wait. Then we did ID two times cause it was a hop on and was some what fun. Then we did Raptor which was a true hop one (the gate was open and no one was in the row :D :D :D ) That was fun. BS was next hit that twice (by this time the park was open to the public). Hit a couple flats along the Main Midway. Then it was Wildcat ( which was fun) and a third (and final) time on ID. It was than time for TTD

Waited about an hour for that. Than it was Magunum time boy was that coaster fun and out of control and the best part is the wait was nonexistent!!!!!! We hit it a second time and than went on to Gemini another really good ride in my opinion. In typical CF fashion they had half the rows closed off for no apparent reasons on both sides ( i guess something could have been wrong with them but it was the same rows for each side each train) oh well it was still a short wait. Oh and before that i hit Woodstock Express b/c i wanted the credit and i was the only one on the train. I felt like a dork :roll: . Next was MS which like i said here
http://www.sfgamworld.com/forum/general-coaster-talk/topic11262.html was not that bad of a ride.
Even rode it a second time only that time was a little more bone jarring. No wait for that one either
We looked at Maverick but i was hot and didn't feel like waiting the posted 45 minutes (athough i regret it). Next it was CCMR. I don't know if it was just because i rode it in the back or because its old (42 years old) but this ride was very jerky. The worst part was the drop before the track goes over the lake. If thats not enough the lap bars only had one setting. The lowered the lap bars and i groaned. They asked me if i waunted to get off and said no mine as well :lol:. Thank god that was a hop on. We than went to MF again and waited only about 20 minutes for it i was thinking it would be a lot longer than that
Than it was time for Manits where i waited 25 minutes to get barked at to hurry up and adjust my seat and pull my harness down as fast as i could. Definelty not a good expierence and the ride seemed rough and it hurt my legs and those other parts
Last edited by tribar on September 8th, 2011, 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tribar

Postby tribar on June 8th, 2011, 3:37 pm
I then went to Disaster Transport which was actually kind of fun. Ive never been on a bobsled before and one in the dark was a unique experience. We waited a full queue which was only about 20 mins where do they put people when it's longer :?: :?: :?: We then decided that was enough for the day and we left the park around 5. And i can't wait to come back :D :D :D

Ride Totals
MF 2
ID 3
TTD 1
G:R 1
G:B 2
Magnum 2
CCMR 1
Mantis 1
Raptor 1
BS 2
MS 2
Wildcat 1
Woodstock 1
Diasater Transport 1
Last edited by tribar on June 29th, 2011, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribar

Postby BLADE on June 8th, 2011, 10:09 pm
As far as I know, top thril dragster has to be warmed up each morning and is never open early. They start out sending empty trains, then move on to about 4 people, then half a train full, and then about 3/4 full.
BLADE

Postby tribar on June 9th, 2011, 7:08 am
Another reason they don't have it open is probably so that the GP gets a fair shot at one popular ride considering Maverick and MF already have early entry riders in line for them
tribar

Postby Cole on June 16th, 2011, 10:46 am
I see you didn't get on Gemini Jr. I had to steal a kid to get that credit. :lol: Anyways how'd you like Disaster Transport? Personally I thought it was one of the better coasters at CP.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby tribar on June 16th, 2011, 1:11 pm
^
1. No i went up there and the ride op told me i was too tall

2. I thought so too with Disaster Transport. Too Short but still fun :D
tribar

Postby Galvan317 on June 19th, 2011, 3:58 pm
Think of how much it costs to power a ride that is firing off trains at 120mph every 45 seconds and it becomes pretty clear why Dragster does not operate during early morning admission.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby FParker185 on June 20th, 2011, 10:25 am
I don't imagine that Dragster uses any more electricity than say a moderate sized flat ride. It's powered by a or a few relatively small motor(s) that has almost a minute to build up the hydraulic pressure, then when it's ready to launch all the accumulated pressure is released all at once.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Galvan317 on June 20th, 2011, 4:24 pm
When I said power I don't neccessarily mean electricity, what I mean is a lot of personal attention. I meant that running the ride and launching trains at that velocity, with that system, at that frequency, makes the upkeep a lot more taxing and expensive than most other coasters. CP has enough big coasters to occupy peoples time with without having to fire up Dragster early (and the truth is it often opens late anyway so it wouldn't matter). Sorry, bad choice of words originally on my part.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby w00dland on June 29th, 2011, 8:55 pm
Yeah, Dragster requires a lot of manpower, but so does MF and Maverick, and those are open almost every morning. I'd bet Maverick costs a hell of a lot more to operate.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby BLADE on June 29th, 2011, 11:04 pm
I've heard TTD has to be warmed up every morning and that's exactly what it looked like when I was there back in May. It clearly generates more speed as it cycles early in the morning.
BLADE

Postby tp41190 on August 31st, 2011, 6:23 pm
This year Dragster actually opened for early entry a few times. I don't know how often as I never had to work before 12:15pm, but I know last year they never would have it for early entry.
[read]
tp41190

Postby Cole on August 31st, 2011, 6:36 pm
^I got on the first ride of the day around 9:30 when early entrance started at 9.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby tribar on August 31st, 2011, 6:51 pm
Yeah that's what i 've heard too is that their adding TTD to early entry. I also think Windseeker is on their right now as well
tribar

Return to Trip Reports