Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFWoA and CP

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby T_Biggs on June 14th, 2003, 11:02 am
Wednesday evening I was at SFWoA for a few hours. Got on everything I wanted but X-Flight, which broke down right after I got in line. Nothing had a long wait, 1, maybe 2 trains. Basically, the park's layout is confusing, and it feels like a small amusment park that suddenly got big. Wait, thats what it is! Anyways, believe it or not, I think Serial Thriller far surpasses Batman TR. Batman KF had a lot to live up to, if it wanted to beat Kraken. Well, it did. It has a sweet first drop, and not a dull moment. Even the trek to the lift is fun. Finally, to finish up, this park's wood sucks. The only worse wood I've been on was Gwazi. Big Dipper was ok, but Bobs was rough and bounces you back and forth until halfway through, then its smooth, but there is not a moment of air. Villian just plain sucks.Ok, Thursday and Friday were Cedar Point. Thursday's forecast was rain rain and rain. We got clouds rain and clouds. Most everything was a walk on. I got on everything but Dragster (down) and Wildcat (down due to rain.) Wicked Twister's back spike blows away SUE's brake, but not V2's (the water under V2 adds a lot.) Mean Streak is not as rough as I was expecting. It was just long and boring. Blue Streak almost rivals Viper, you're out of your seat every hill, it's just too short. Corkscrew blows away Demon. It's smoother and the bunny hill rules and has great air. Millennium Force has a great drop, but after that, I wasn't over impressed. The hills on it did have nice floater air, but nothing compared to God... err I mean Magnum.Magnum is the single best ride at the park. I had a total of 3 rides on it, all in row 1:3. Over every hill there was ejector air, including the first drop (yes, in the front of the train, the first drop has ejector air.) This ride can not be matched. The second hill, you're thrown out of your seat. Third, same. The pretzel turnaround has a heavy trim brake before it. I'd be afraid without it. Once you go through the pretzel, its bunny hills everywhere. Each one gets more and more violent. I'm amazed my thighs aren't bruised. You've heard the hype for Millennium Force, and some for Magnum, and a lot for Dragster. Well, I don't know how good Dragster is, but you can take the hype for all three, and apply it to just Magnum. This ride is worth the trip alone.Gemini is a nice gentle looking ride. Both of my rides on it, orange and blue, were in the back. This has tons of air! The first drop, second, third... well, every drop! Ok, enough about the non-looping airtime machines. Mantis is a good ride, people said it was rough, hardly. It makes Iron Wolf (which I prefer over Mantis) look like a cakewalk. Mantis has a great start, once you get through the incredibly long load process. It should be shorter, because the trains are identical to Wolf, but they let you board as soon as the previous riders get off, because the seats don't fly up and reset. None the less, it takes close to 5 minutes to dispatch. The ride itself is fun, the loop has awesome hang time. The end is just Iron Wolf over water. A corkscrew and a figure 8. I like Wolf's more agressive figure 8 more, though. Raptor is great. The drop is almost as good at Batman KF, and the ride has many sustained positive Gs. Before the last flatspin there is a nice dip that gives you some floater air. Going in the final brakes there is a jolt that can throw your head around, and it does that a little in the cobra roll too.Disaster Transport was nice, I didn't bang my legs up like I would on Rolling Thunder. Strangely, it closes when it rains. I guess the enclosed ride gets too wet. :roll: I only went on the space shot of Power Tower. I figured I hate Giant Drop, and the turbo drop would be worse. It's a cool ride, but not worth waiting long for.Friday, it was packed. Short lines were 30 minutes. (15 for Gemini.) But, while waiting for Magnum, a very loud woosh combined with the sound Millennium Force makes when going around it's line. It took a few seconds for people to figure out what happend, but Dragster tested. I caught a glimpse of the train desending, even though trees were blocking the view. After riding Magnum, we stood and watched for a little while, but nothing happend except they shuffled trains back and forth a little in the station. We made our way to Giant Wheel, and 2 or 3 times we saw it go over. It's impressive to see. Nothing is quite like it. And, by the looks of the webcam, the ride is still down today. Oh well, Magnum is open 8)My main gripe with the park is food service. I don't know how sit down restaurants are, but food stands are the slowest I've ever seen. To get a simple Icee, I waited 5 minutes with no one in line in front of me. To get Dippin Dots, it was probably 15-20 minutes. For a Pepsi, my uncle waited 10 minutes with only 2 people in front of him. Food is slow, but Magnum is good... I need more Magnum...I guess that got a little long and unorganized, sorry. :lol:
T_Biggs

Postby CoasterDave316 on June 14th, 2003, 12:45 pm
Good TR, Travis. Looks like you just missed Top Thrill Dragster since it looks like it has just reopened today.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby coasterzak on June 14th, 2003, 7:57 pm
Great TR! Glad to hear you liked my SFWoA!! I'm glad someone else agrees with me about Magnum being one of the better rides at CP.
coasterzak

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on June 14th, 2003, 11:33 pm
Nice TR. It sucks that you didnt get to go on TTD. It just reopened today.
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby T_Biggs on June 15th, 2003, 8:52 am
Oh, I forgot to add, I got to ride the Edge. :lol: That ride kicks ass! They should tear it down and take it back home! Sorry Zak, I want it back at my home park. It's spot is wide open again. You can have Shockwave in return. Where would it go? I don't know or care, but I think then it would be "fair." A coaster for a small freefall. :lol:
T_Biggs

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on June 15th, 2003, 9:19 am
Man you are lucky. I wish I got to ride the Edge. If you think its that good then they should bring it back. Wasnt the Edge in the spot where PD was? If it was then just put it back there. :wink:
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby coastrcorey on June 15th, 2003, 11:10 am
Fun time! Sounds like your day(s) were pretty much just like mine during Coastermania (except that it didn't really rain at all). I also saw Dragster test... That thing is amazing! I have a question, did they have trims on at all on Magnum?
coastrcorey

Postby coasterzak on June 15th, 2003, 7:17 pm
The Edge must have been orange and blue in the old days, because Mr. Hyde's is chipping off behind the green and purple and I can see it. I love that ride, I've been stuck so many times I've got a lot of benifits from it! It is a very rough and unreliable but hey, I like it.
coasterzak

Postby Aero737 on June 18th, 2003, 7:26 pm
I wish I could of ridden The Edge. But it seems that it had a rather nasty accident. According to Ultimantcoaster.com the car became dislodged in the lift shaft and fell back down the shaft with 3 teenagers inside. Nobody died. This ride has also been moved around a lot. It looks more exciting than most rides i've seen. I hope to ride one someday!Link to source: http://www.ultimatecoaster.com/spring.asp?cid=nastyfall
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby T_Biggs on June 18th, 2003, 8:16 pm
That incident can't happen anymore. I guess Intamin retrofitted all of the drop rides with antirollbacks in the elevator. And riding a ride that had such a bad accident makes it that much more exciting! I thought Mr Hydes Nasty Fall (current name of the Edge) was way better than Demon Drop just because of that!
T_Biggs

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on June 18th, 2003, 11:29 pm
When I went to SFMM I saw that they had a drop ride next to the Riddlers Revenge. I didnt ride it but I wish I did.
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby dave24 on June 20th, 2003, 4:07 am
^Must be talking about good old Freefall.
dave24

Return to Trip Reports