Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Opening Weekend '04

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Coaster_Chick on May 4th, 2004, 3:23 pm
This is gonna be long, because it covers three days from open-close.

Trip began Friday, got to the park at about 5:15 for the B96 Listener Party. Weather was terrible. Park was WAAAAAAAAY fuller than expected. We had the theory though that the only reason it was so full was because if people already had tickets they HAD to come, regardless of the weather, but they could choose on sat and sun if they were going to come or not. It was rainy and cold for almost the whole evening. Deja Vu ran on and off. Revolution was not running at all. Didn't ride Vu, AE, or IW. Got on S:UF with about a 15 min wait (which looking back is incredibly long compared to the rest of the weekends waits). Bull was the last thing we did, in the FREEZING RAIN, at about 9 PM. Got front row on Viper with a two minute wait. Went on Demon once or twice. Batman once or twice. The days all got mushed together, so I have no official ride counts. V2 two or three times. It would have been more fun if the weather would have coooperated more.

Saturday
Got to the park at 9. Me and my group separated after going through the security, as to avoid picture-takers...although they asked if I wanted my picture taken by myself...uuuuuh?? Okay, got up to the front of the crowd....on the right side of the carousel. We were on the far right in the front. After we were set free, we all ran to Raging Bull, and went on that front row. We were on like the fourth dispatch of the day. It was definitely one of the best rides I've ever had on it. No Vu for us on Saturday either...it was up and running for a time, but no biggie. It's not one of my faves. Did V2 at least three, maybe four times. Viper at least twice.

Funny story....Iron Wolf had no line, and we have this joke that no lines really turns us on and no matter what ride it is, we'll go on it as long as it has no line. We said "it's the principle!" So...we go on Iron Wolf even though we hate it and it's SOOOOOO painful. We went on it and when we pulled back into the station my friend Rebekah said "that is the last time I am riding this EVER!" and then we pull into the station and it's empty and the ride ops ask us if we want to ride again, so we're like "ehhhh, SURE!" hahaha "it's the principle!!!" So we rode again. And as we pulled back in again, there were still no lines...so we debated going on again, but changed our minds, because we were in so much pain. Same thing happened on AE. Went once backwards. It was fun, and less scary than I remember. And forwards we went in the front row twice in a row, since there were no lines. And some guy had told us he rode 15 times in a row already. He was our hero. hahaha, we only did that twice that day though. We did Bull another time that day in the back row. Then again in the middle. We also went to the Looney Tunes "we've got the beat" show which was ADORABLE! We also rode Viper twice in a row, w/o having to get off. We also did Stargate, which SUCKED. But it's nice to use for warmth. And STT. We also went on Revolution, which was okay. A little tamer than expected, but still fun. The day went by sooo fast and we stayed until close, but were DEAD by the time we got back to the hotel.

Sunday
we slept late, because we were so tired from Saturday, but made it to the park by 11. We got a cute group pic taken as we got in with Sylvester. Went on S:UF first which had a shocking line of about 15 minutes. A lot less than the three hours we waited for it last year opening weekend. We also hit up Batman, V2, Iron Wolf (twice), American Eagle (three times), Whizzer (which is actually more fun than I've been thinking...I always act so bored and huffy when I have to go on it, but it's actually pretty fun). Ate a funnel cake (using the 1/2 off coupon) and a pretzel for lunch. Healthy, hey? After that I felt sick, so I skipped out on another ride on the bull and giant drop (which I'm too scared of anyway). We also went on ERC (SUPER FUN!), Condor, Fiddler's Fling, Revolution (broke once). Later in the afternoon we went on Batman again (twice) and were prepping for our third ride in a row until the rude ride op told us we couldn't have a second ride...even though we already did...and made us get off...and they ran the train EMPTY! Uhhhh...they COULD have just let us stay on....but whatever. So we went to superman...and there was NO LINE AT ALL, so we rode 20 times in a row. making good friends with two of the ride ops. hahaha, sooo much fun. But we had to go on Raging Bull again, so we left S:UF...making our new ride op friends sad. But we took a pic w/ one of them, so we went on Bull...fun. Then to Deja Vu...which was a walk on. I was sooooooooo scared. Because I'd seen it break SOOOOOOO many times that weekend. It was fun though, other than my extreme fear. Then it was about 7:55, so we ran to Demon, and got a ride front row on that...and were hoping for another one, but the park was closed. :( So we left....but we'll be back on May 9 to party it up for my 21st birthday!

Overall it was an AWESOME weekend despite the cold and rain. The lines were AMAZING. Although now we're soooooo spoiled and if the line is longer than five minutes, I'll get pouty and cranky...so needless to say, I won't be at the park during July or August. I'll just go every weekend in May. :lol:
~Theresa~
*Undercover Line Jumper Ejector*
Trips in '05: 2 Next up: May 8
The Posse
Coaster_Chick

Return to Trip Reports