Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Advocate day 4/30/2011

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby lord soth on May 2nd, 2011, 10:05 pm
I was at my company's outing at Six Flags Great America this Saturday and here are some points that I observed for the 2011 season. I am not sure if this reflects the normal operating season but with only a week away it seems likely.

Park music back to normal, no pop music playing

Entrance is very different with the construction of Riptide Bay being so close

New show debuting "Screams and Dreams" in May

Legends has been renamed to el Mercado

BBNP is gone and looks very weird as the go-karts are going there and seem to be in the same track layout

Other notes:
V2 is still without holding brake. :(
STT was not operating today
BB was running empty boats every time I walked by
No other water rides running(loggers run, etc.)
lord soth

Postby wishman35 on May 2nd, 2011, 10:43 pm
Thanks for the post! How were the coasters operating? Any breakdowns or anything seem different?
wishman35

Postby Paradise on May 2nd, 2011, 10:54 pm
Best news so far is that the pop music is gone. :D
Have a take and don't suck, it's the Jim Rome Show!
Paradise

Postby Necropolis on May 2nd, 2011, 11:54 pm
No one would know unless I go find out myself, but is that wizards shop still at the park? I wanted to buy something there last year but I didn't have the money. If the item I want is still there I will buy it opening day!
Necropolis

Postby lord soth on May 3rd, 2011, 10:13 am
wishman35 wrote:Thanks for the post! How were the coasters operating? Any breakdowns or anything seem different?

V2 was closed for a bit but opened quickly and I actually took advantage of it and got in a short line around 3pm with little waiting.

S:UF had a 90 min wait due to running one train although I am not sure why.

Bull's line was not too bad as they were running 2 trains that day

Demon still had the "Stride clown car" wrapper on the red train like last year

The Animals (Wolf, Eagle, Viper) were running like last year as well as Batman. I did not go on the mice (DK and RC)

Revolution and Chaos were operating as well as 3 cars on the GD
lord soth

Postby Goku1910 on May 3rd, 2011, 9:33 pm
lord soth wrote:V2 is still without holding brake. :(

Didn't we all see that coming? If it hasn't been fixed by now, I have doubts...
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby lord soth on May 4th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Here are 4 scans of the new 2011 park map that I got last weekend.
*Click on a photo for w larger version
3.7mb
2.9mb
3.7mb
3.5mb
lord soth

Postby 6Flags4Evr on May 4th, 2011, 4:48 pm
^Thank you for posting the new park map, I've been dieing to see it for the longest time.
Can't live without Coasters!!!
6Flags4Evr

Postby FParker185 on May 4th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Wilderness Theater is oddly prominent on the map, wonder if they will have something going on this year in there..
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby sfgam1 on May 4th, 2011, 7:19 pm
They always feature the Wilderness Theater on maps. My guess is to give people direction during special events like the Cheer competition during Fright Fest.
sfgam1

Postby Mr. SFGAm on May 4th, 2011, 9:54 pm
Looking closely at the attractions guide, I see that Whirligig is 48" height requirement, and Ragin' Cajun is 48" with adult and 54" alone!?!? Has this always been like this?

Admittedly, I have not paid attention to height requirements over the years since I have no reason to. I just find it odd that you have to be 48" to ride Whirligig, but only 42" to ride Demon, as well as The Orbit.
Finally Coaster Season!!
Mr. SFGAm

Postby Galvan317 on May 4th, 2011, 10:01 pm
Just depends on the ride. X2 is 48", but Magic Mountain also has B&Ms which are 54" requirements, so kids can go on the most intense ride in the park but not even be close on other coasters. Giant Drop is a 48" requirement but Ricochet is 54" to ride alone, so sometimes people will send their kids in line to ride Ricochet right after they get off Giant Drop and the kid will need to leave the ride to get an adult after waiting in line even though they just rode Giant Drop alone.

Primeval Whirl at Disney's Animal Kingdom, same ride as Ragin Cajun, shares a 48" requirement which is the tallest height requirement at all of WDW (tied with Rockin' Rollercoaster). Space Mountain and Mission Space are both 44" requirements despite being much more intense rides.

When Cedar Fair bought the Paramount parks they changed a bunch of height requirements to match the other CF parks. For example, Orbit's requirement at CGA went up from 42" to 48"
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Jackluver18 on May 4th, 2011, 11:28 pm
The Go Karts are located right in front of Dipper? That's what it looks like in the pictures to me
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby Goku1910 on May 5th, 2011, 11:24 am
Mr. SFGAm wrote:Looking closely at the attractions guide, I see that Whirligig is 48" height requirement, and Ragin' Cajun is 48" with adult and 54" alone!?!? Has this always been like this?

Admittedly, I have not paid attention to height requirements over the years since I have no reason to. I just find it odd that you have to be 48" to ride Whirligig, but only 42" to ride Demon, as well as The Orbit.

Manufacturers set the height requirements, although sometimes ridiculous heights are set. Demon is the only arrow looper I know of that is 42".... :lol:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby FParker185 on May 5th, 2011, 1:50 pm
I think Demon just may never have been updated from the old Huss train requirements, as those restraints were much smaller, and can still be found on some older corkscrews. Anyone who has a tall torso (crotch to shoulders) knows all about that. I'm lucky I was able to ride Python at BGT, though they let me go with effectively no restraint at all :)

Also manufacturers use age and physical development of riders as well to come up with their heights. Someone who is 42" could realistically be 3-5 years old, and someone of that age has no business riding a ride such as Shockwave or the other larger, extremely forceful Arrow Loopers.

Another good example that illustrates that is a majority of Huss Enterprises, to ride solo there is a 60" height requirement, on a ride with no restraints.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby RBullFan97 on May 7th, 2011, 8:16 am
Just saw the map and am very pleased with what I am seeing. All the old Papa John's are now back to their original names (Pizza Orleans, Pizza Luigi, Firehouse Pizza, etc.), and the renamings of some of the shops like El Mercado now fit in with their themed areas. Six Flags is getting creative and original again!
BTW, nice pics lord soth.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby Chitown on May 9th, 2011, 8:22 am
With Splash Water Falls gone and now Great America Raceway, and with the Go-Karts instead moving over by Dipper, that frees up alot of land for a decent sized coaster. We shall see. :D
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 9th, 2011, 8:36 pm
I see a Green Lantern (SFMM) clone or a Dare Devil Dive (SFOG) clone.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Return to Trip Reports