Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Hershey Park announces new coaster

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby SFGA 11 on August 5th, 2003, 2:55 pm
Hershey park just announced their new rocket coaster. It will have atop speed of 72 m.p.h. They haven't named it yet though. But, you can vote for the name of it on there web site. There are three choices: Renegade, Steel Stampede, and Storm Rider. I haven't decided on what I should vote for becasue I think they are all good names. What are your guys oppinions on what the name should be?
Last edited by SFGA 11 on August 5th, 2003, 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SFGA 11

Postby goldmember on August 5th, 2003, 2:57 pm
I voted Renegade. I just think it sounds the best out of the 3. From the video it looks pretty cool. That's what we need to get here.
My Top 5: 1)TTD, 2)Millennium Force, 3)Raptor, 4)Deja Vu, 5)Raging Bull
goldmember

Postby highroller13 on August 5th, 2003, 3:08 pm
I like Storm Rider
highroller13

Postby goldmember on August 5th, 2003, 4:03 pm
Storm Rider is good its just too bad that its not one of the three names. Storm Runner is the other one.
goldmember

Postby coasterguy on August 5th, 2003, 4:14 pm
That is what we need!
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby highroller13 on August 5th, 2003, 4:19 pm
Oh well he said it was stom rider but anyway I do agree that thats what we need. It woud be perfect if there was a little more room in southwest.
highroller13

Postby INTAMIN on August 5th, 2003, 5:04 pm
We already have a Giant coaster in the southwest, we would need it in Orleans place if any where, or carousel plaza, that would be cool.
Keep your head against the headrest and arms and feet in side the train at all times.
INTAMIN

Postby goldmember on August 5th, 2003, 5:33 pm
I wouldn't care where it was in the park as long as it was here and not hundreds of miles away.
goldmember

Postby DemonRules on August 5th, 2003, 5:46 pm
see, this is exactly what i was talking about in my topic about the need for a rocket coaster....don't just clone one of the two that are already made....we could tear down Iron Wolf and put in one of these mind boggling looping rockets. they don't take up alot of room and are simply incredible rides.....think if they stuck with the lap bars.... 8)
The Helix<finally finished
DemonRules

Postby coasterguy on August 5th, 2003, 5:57 pm
Well i don't know about tearing down Iron Wolf but I would do it for this thing. That is what I was also trying to explain in the other topic as well. I seem that some have changed their minds. :wink:
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby Dre on August 5th, 2003, 6:07 pm
Okay people can we stop turning all the topics into what we'd like to see at Great America!! This is a topic about the new ride at Hersheypark...
:x I'm Constipated
Dre

Postby GamRCFreak on August 5th, 2003, 6:26 pm
But most would definately want the ride at Great America!I voted for Renegade.They could put the Rocket around American Eagle. I just hope they don't take out Iron Wolf!
you can't believe it - you didn't mean it
but they saw you do it and they know your name
GamRCFreak

Location: Hinsdale, IL in the summer, DeKalb IL in the School Year (Go Huskies!)

Postby SfGaMownz on August 5th, 2003, 6:32 pm
They could put a rocket coaster at Great America where ever there is room end of the damn Great America is going to get discussion.Anyways, I like the layout of the coaster with the inversions and all I just don't like the OTSR.
SfGaMownz

Postby SFGA 11 on August 5th, 2003, 8:43 pm
highroller13 wrote:Oh well he said it was stom rider
My bad... :oops: :shock: :evil:
SFGA 11

Postby DemonRules on August 5th, 2003, 11:39 pm
GamRCFreak wrote:But most would definately want the ride at Great America!I voted for Renegade.They could put the Rocket around American Eagle. I just hope they don't take out Iron Wolf!
okay, i realize that iron wolf was the first B&M coaster built, but that really doesn't change the fact that it has become painful....i still enjoy the ride, especially front car, but of all the coasters in the park, this is the one i would least hate being taken out, thats all.... 8)
DemonRules

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on August 6th, 2003, 12:44 am
Iron Wolf shouldnt come out. It will be pretty funny when GAm builds the next coaster without taking out anything to build it. Ill laugh for a while when I see that on the news. Anyway I voted Steel Stampede.
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby DemonRules on August 6th, 2003, 1:52 am
how is that gonna happen though...there is just no more room in that park for a major coaster.... 8)
DemonRules

Postby T_Biggs on August 6th, 2003, 9:08 am
Saying Iron Wolf has become painful is like saying Shockwave became more painful over the years. It didn't happen that way, Shockwave was rough from the begining, and Iron Wolf always has snapped you around. And where do people get Wolf is rough from? It's as rough as it was 10 years ago. I think people are just spoiled by today's ultra-smooth rides that a few taps on the head are too much now. I can get away with riding Wolf with no headbanging. Just ride toward the back (you can see how the train whips around, and brace for it,) lean forward in the harness, and put your feet as far back as you can.And why does everyone seem to think to get a coaster, we have to tear down a coaster? In most cases, unless the coaster is pre-designed, nothing has to be removed but maybe a shop to make room for the entrance. There is easily enough room everywhere for the track to snake in and around other rides. As for the part of a rocket coaster that takes up the most room, the launch track, easy. Just put it next to or above the employee coridor. Crap cathers are all that would be needed to protect employees from falling objects that riders drop.
T_Biggs

Postby GamRCFreak on August 6th, 2003, 9:09 am
I think this should go back on topic.I wish the HP Rocket had lap bars. I don't think that those heartline rolls really need OTSR's. B&R Chiller took off their OTSR's for lap bars and the ride is great.Does Penn. have a law like Cali where all looping rides need something to restrain the upper body? I hope not.
you can't believe it - you didn't mean it
but they saw you do it and they know your name
GamRCFreak

Location: Hinsdale, IL in the summer, DeKalb IL in the School Year (Go Huskies!)

Postby T_Biggs on August 6th, 2003, 9:21 am
No such laws exist in California or Pennsylvania. For CA, I quote Montezuma's Revenge at Knotts as saying "I only have lap bars!" and PN, I quote Laser at Dorney saying "I only have lap bars!"Lap bar loops are awesome. I don't think it will be too obtrusive with OTSRs on Hershey's rocket, though. here you can see how Intamin sit-down OTSRs look. They aren't excessivly big like B&M's, and since the cars are so open, you can still put up your hands.
T_Biggs

Postby goldmember on August 6th, 2003, 9:25 am
I wonder if the trains will be special on this coaster like they are on the other 2 rockets. Xcelerator has the old 50's car theme and TTD has dragters, will this have conostoga waggon cars? :wink: What could they do for the western theme as far as trains go?
goldmember

Postby DemonRules on August 6th, 2003, 12:07 pm
i think the major problem with just a lap bar on an inverting layout is that if the train were to ever get stuck upside down there would be the potential for a person to slip out of the restraint. i'm sure they could design it to avoid this problem, and i'm thinking something like a clamshell restraint would be able to hold you in if you were stuck inverted. well whatever....i want a rocket... 8)
DemonRules

Postby T_Biggs on August 6th, 2003, 1:51 pm
Unless you circumvent the restraint, you won't slip out. A lap bar could hold you in just fine in an inverted position. I'd much rather be stuck upsidedown that way than with an OTSR. Thighs handle a lot of weight much better than shoulders.
T_Biggs

Postby highroller13 on August 6th, 2003, 2:13 pm
Makes sence, but then why even have shoulder restraints.
highroller13

Postby InsaneNewman on August 6th, 2003, 3:55 pm
Because, as Travis said, lap bars work if you don't circumvent the restraints. The problem is that lap bars are easier to get out of, if you are so determined to do so... and people are stupid!
InsaneNewman

Next

Return to General Coaster Talk