Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Bobsled coaster, what is your take on them?

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby Chitown on June 22nd, 2014, 8:08 pm
I personally have been on 3 of them. Rolling Thunder at SFGAm (now removed), the one at SFOT, and the one at CP (now demolished).

I think they are fun rides and would love to see more of them at parks. Sure, they will never be a signature coaster at a park, but they provide a fun ride and also add a different kind of coaster to a lineup. The only thing I don't like is when you go into a MCBR and the train jolts left to right to get back to being controlled. It racks my knees. Other than that, I love the free fall feeling. Depending on weight in the train, it can roll more on the side of the sled.

I wish more were installed. It's cool that Flying Turns has now opened. A wooden bobsled that brings us back to the old days when these were very common at parks. I would love this or the more modern ones at more parks.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby Foltzy on June 22nd, 2014, 8:20 pm
From what I remember,
In the later years of disaster transport at CP, all the effects were gone and while you could feel it wasn't a normal coaster. You didn't really have the feeling like there was no set course. And the lift took extremely long
Foltzy

Postby FParker185 on June 22nd, 2014, 8:57 pm
I'm not a huge fan of the Giovanola (INTAMIN) Bobsleds with cramped seating, short track length, not particularly smooth and frequent block brakes. Been on my fair share of em with Rolling Thunder (SFGAm), Disaster Transport, LaVibora(SFOT), and Bob at Efteling. Luckily that's all of em in existence with the Opryland one having been scrapped. Don't ever really need to ride another one.

On the other hand the Mack Bobsleds are awesome, a definite must ride in parks that have me. Only one in the US is Avalanches at Kings Dominion, probably the worst of the 4-5 I've ridden, but still quite a bit better than the absolute Gio model. For these I've done, Avalanche at KD, Avalanche at Blackpool Pleasure Beach which is far and away the best one, Schweizer Bobbahn at Europa Park, Schweizer Bobbahn at Heide Park and the oddly themed Trace du Hourra at Parc Asterix.

Then of course the wooden one i like, that of course being Flying Turns at Knoebels, I enjoy it quite a bit but it's nothing that's going to knock your socks off, and as people ride it I'm sure anticipointment will run rampant.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Luxornv on July 1st, 2014, 1:46 am
I've only ridden Disaster Transport, and didn't really have any strong feelings for it. I was only able to ride it near its final years though and the lack of effects made it mildly confusing. I'm not sure if a new one would change my mind on these. I just found this particular one boring. A park should give another one a shot though.
Luxornv

Postby tp41190 on July 2nd, 2014, 8:38 am
Disaster transport was a great drunk coaster.

Avalanche at Blackpool is by far my favorite. The layout is simple but the quick and continuous left, right, left right, ect was awesome.
Last edited by tp41190 on July 11th, 2014, 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[read]
tp41190

Postby VuDooJoey on July 2nd, 2014, 9:53 am
I only went on DT, but I loved it. I mean you can tell that they are old designs and it was overshadowed by the bigger coasters, but I thought it was a fun coaster to go on.
VuDooJoey

Postby JT3 on July 7th, 2014, 11:53 pm
tp41190 wrote:Disaster transport was a great drunk coaster.

Avalanche is by far my favorite. The layout is simple but the quick and continuous left, right, left right, ect was awesome.

I have never ridden Avalanche, but I just rode the similar Schweizer Bobbahn at Europa Park. The one at Europa is much quicker in its pacing and is more thrilling than the Rolling Thunder type bobsleds.
1. Bizarro 2. Expedition GeForce
3. X2 4. Top Thrill Dragster 5. El Toro 6. Goliath (SFGAm) 7. Millennium Force 8. Silver Star 9. Apollo's Chariot 10. Goliath (SFOG)
JT3

Postby KI2014 on July 9th, 2014, 9:39 am
I've only been on Disaster Transport, but it was an amazing ride even without all of the effects! They really should make more of them that are faster moving like a real bobsled.
My blood, sweat, and tears:
https://besignsideas.weebly.com
KI2014

Postby [jonrev] on July 11th, 2014, 4:22 am
Disaster Transport was fun, in a weird "I like grimey, run-down, pseudo-industrial/Space Mountain-knockoff roller coasters" kind of way, but Avalanche was far more intense. I'd love to hit Flying Turns someday.
[jonrev]

Return to General Coaster Talk