Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

NBC 5 Chicago Special: Monday, May 12th at 10pm

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby coasterzak on May 13th, 2003, 4:01 pm
Yeah but out here, far from the park, all that people knew for 2 days was that a girl died in Chicago on a coaster. It's a good thing I read up out here because I told them the story and they understand now. The papers aren't too specific out where I live. If you heard the story the first day and didn't hear a follow up that she died from gum, you might have thought it was the coaster.
coasterzak

Postby chiatrain on May 13th, 2003, 4:06 pm
The Raging Bull incident reached the news out in Los Angeles as well. I was watching a news program this afternoon and heard the SFGAm incident compared to the Little League player's death.
chiatrain

Postby NegativeGeez on May 14th, 2003, 5:38 am
i dont think that death and injury are necessarily 100 percent bad for business. granted, mommies and daddies arent going to be bringing thier kids to a place that they feel is unsafe, but there are certain groups of people who love the thought of 'riding a coaster that killed someone' (read: ride a coaster that someone died on).talking to my dad about parks...he told me that riverview park had a bit of a notorious reputation (in regards to ride safety) and that it was why a lot of the kids went...because the thought of being in jeopardy added to the thrill.
NegativeGeez

Postby chiatrain on May 14th, 2003, 7:19 am
Here are a few articles on Riverview:a) The mishaps at RV: http://www.suba.com/~scottn/explore/sit ... ervie.htmb) Changing times: http://www.defunctparks.com/parks/IL/ri ... htmPerhaps death/injury is not 100% bad for business, but it does seem to hurt the park in some manner. There may be some who go for that added 'thrill' but a death/injury incident may keep away more people than attract those seeking 'jeopardy.'Also, here's an article explaining last year's AE: Blue incident featured in the news clip:http://www.rollercoasterfans.com/index.php?topic=July3b
chiatrain

Postby coasterkid86 on May 14th, 2003, 11:19 am
rollercoaster doi not harm people. tons of research has been done and there is nothing that will harm anyone. even if there was a problem then rollercoaster theme parks would not be in buisness.Roller Coasters are fine! :D
coasterkid86

Postby linebacker131 on May 14th, 2003, 12:26 pm
i play for the batlett raiders football team and during a practice a girl died from a brain anyurism taking a blow to the head during a tackling drill
linebacker131

Postby NegativeGeez on May 15th, 2003, 1:00 am
as a former streamwood falcon, i have urges to just lay into you for being a raider, but i remember the incident you are talking about and it is a sad thing...and it also is a testament to the fact that we can go at any time in any way.
NegativeGeez

Postby joker on May 15th, 2003, 2:17 pm
Something to state out: Worth a ride in a car, bus, plane, or anything else. Everything you do is a risk. You risk yourself going into a car, bus, plane, and anything.
-Roller Coaster Enthusiast
joker

Postby coasterzak on May 15th, 2003, 2:30 pm
I read an article that says you are at a higher risk for getting hurt on a children's wagon then on a coaster.
coasterzak

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on May 15th, 2003, 3:58 pm
I read that article too. I also read one that stated you get greater G's when you hit yourself with a pillow than you do on a coaster.
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Previous

Return to General Coaster Talk