Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Are arcades dying, and if they are, how can they change?

A Off-Topic forum to discuss things that aren't related to the Amusement Park Industry.
Postby Ilovthevu' on August 17th, 2009, 9:33 am
Everyone knows what arcades are, but are they making it anymore? For pinball, there is only 1 manufacturer left, but that might have to do with space, and maintenance of pinball games. They might take up 2 other games, and there are so many components in pinball that can break.

Besides pinball, are people staying at home, and playing the Wii, X-Box, Nintendo 64, Game Cube, Playstation, and so on instead of a going to an arcade? I really think they are, and I don't think this has to do with the economy. I believe it has to do with the arcade games at home have progressed so much that the arcades are getting hit. I rented a House of Dead game for the Wii, and it just reminds me of the one in the arcade, so why do I need to play it at the arcade than?

However, I think there are games that you can't really get at home (the same experience - feeling) that will make the arcade survive. In my opinion, these games in which the game systems can't compete are bowling, basketball, football (if it's not that new terrible one- I hate that one!), pinball (To me, it doesn't feel the same when just playing on the computer some pinball game.), skeeball whatever kind (They have come up with many different types), claw games (feeling the excitement of the claw dropping your object is priceless), those games where you roll the ball into a slot to get points, and many of those games in which you get tickets. That isn't that many teenager orientated games though. You look at the two sections of an arcade (tickets and not), and the one section has a lot of games that can survive, but the other side's future doesn't look too good.

Even for that Dance, Dance Revolution which many people talk about on this website, they have that on the Wii, and it comes with a mat (I think it comes with a mat). That game isn't going to survive in my opinion in an arcade because you can just play it at home.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby rct2wizard360 on August 18th, 2009, 12:15 am
Dancing Games are going to live on in arcades as long as the hardcore players stay around. The things that are being accomplished on those machines will never EVER able to be taken to the home pad.

Almost anything can be replicated on a home system now. Sure you can go bowling, go play football, go play tennis. But thats not cool. It's easy to go pick up a racket and do it, but there's something so appealing about being able to half a$$ it at home with a remote control. It's really weird if you ask me.

On top of that, kids dont have a mentality that they can win those ticket games anymore. The whole "its rigged" thing actually got to kids now.

It's sad.
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby w00dland on August 20th, 2009, 2:04 pm
To answer your questions:

Yes, arcades are dying. And they need to be able to invent something people cannot get at home with video game systems to be able to compete. Chances are you won't be seeing arcades standing alone in their own shops very much anymore. You'll see them at movie theaters, malls, and other places were people go for a different primary reason than playing at an arcade, but go in on an impulse.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 21st, 2009, 10:19 am
This may help somewhat, but I think they need some games for girls like Hannah Montana, Disney princess stuff, and maybe some games about the mall. I don't know, but there are a lot of games at an arcade that girls might not be interested in, and why not market a little towards them instead of just sports, House of Dead, Racing car games, and so on? Maybe, girls aren't buying the Playstations, X-Box, and so on and would play games for them in an arcade if they find out that there is stuff in there they might like.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Chitown on August 21st, 2009, 10:55 pm
The only way arcades can survive today is if they have a good amount of ticket redemption games to win prizes. Also more hands on games like Pop a Shot basketball, skee-ball, etc, although those usually also dispense tickets.

I remember when Aladdin's Castle back in the 80's had no ticket redemption games. Just strictly arcade.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 30th, 2010, 10:00 am
Well, one arcade chain is going out of business - Gameworks. Some will be sold, and some will just be closed. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2712426420100427

I think Dave and Buster's is next as least in Addison based on the number of people I see there.
Ilovthevu'

Return to Off-Topic Forum