Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

The "I AM NOT A CHILD" thread (for those over 18)

A Off-Topic forum to discuss things that aren't related to the Amusement Park Industry.
Postby SixFlagsChick on March 30th, 2005, 2:31 pm
OK... I hate people who treat me like I am a little child and can't take care of myself or don't have enough responsibility to have certain priveledges.

Something happened today.... and I can't go into details...but it just have pissed me off so bad that I cried for a minute, and now I want to go tell this person off. Unfortunately that would be a bad idea.

The thing that makes me the most upset is the fact that during this conversation they tried to put it off onto someone else in reference to questions I had and proceeded to tell me they had work they needed to get done. AND I DON'T?????!!!!!!??????

Anyone got some suggestions for getting over this crap and sticking it to the person and making sure they know I am not a child and shouldn't be treated like that?

MOD NOTE: Post edited in the future please watch your language.
:twisted:
"Official" Off-Topic Diva
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby SIC COASTER on March 30th, 2005, 3:45 pm
Get over it and then poop on them.
you smell
SIC COASTER
I love lamp

Postby SixFlagsChick on March 30th, 2005, 3:47 pm
.... that isn't very helpful. But thanks for your two cents anyway.
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby SIC COASTER on March 30th, 2005, 3:48 pm
Hey now I think that was a little more than 2 cents, im thinking more like 3 cents.
you smell
SIC COASTER
I love lamp

Postby CoasterDude12-2 on March 30th, 2005, 3:59 pm
2 1/4 at most, SCK
CoasterDude12-2

Postby Do I Know You on March 30th, 2005, 4:14 pm
I'd pay a buck fifty for SCK's wisdom.
this is a signature
Do I Know You

Postby RagingBullFan on March 30th, 2005, 4:39 pm
Wow, your all so helpful. N00bs.

I had to deal with this all the time at Circuit City, I'd have people come in who were middle age and they felt that me, at 19, clearly didn't know anything about computers. I'd tell them what they needed, and they told me what they wanted and they wanted nothing to do with my opinon. Most of the time you just have to swallow your pride and live with it, because for me at least I can't retaliate back. I think that also if you retaliate back that can make you look even more childish, so most of the time I just suck it up and know I was right or can do better.

At least now I get a little more respect from people when I tell them that I'm going to Marquette for Mechanical Engineering, if I just mention the word Calculus to most people, they'll usually then start to listen to what I have to say.
Licensed Mechanical Engineer
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby CoasterDave316 on March 30th, 2005, 4:50 pm
Not me, I hear the word Calculus and immediatly tune out. :)
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby SFGA Bob on March 30th, 2005, 8:22 pm
I'm with Kyle. the best way to deal with it is swallow your pride and do your job the way you're supposed to. you can get back at the person by not being overly helpful in the future, but that could come off as childish. if applicable, you could talk to your boss about the problem and, if it gets bad enough, bring up age discrimination.
I don't have a detonator; its on a timer.
A countdown timer?
No, a count-up timer. It goes from one to explode.
SFGA Bob

Postby twixmix0303 on March 30th, 2005, 9:36 pm
Ummm...yeah. I really don't know what you're talking about without more details.
twixmix0303

Postby Aero737 on March 30th, 2005, 10:05 pm
I'm going to need to see some ID's children. You dont seem 18.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby Mr. SFGAm on March 30th, 2005, 11:52 pm
It's funny how older people will treat the 18 to 24 age group. They figure we're just young, and dont have our own opinions, or as much intellectual knowledge as they do. :roll:

I love when older people try picking political debates with me, lol :lol:
But the best thing to do is keep your cool, and just do what you gotta do.
Finally Coaster Season!!
Mr. SFGAm

Postby InsaneNewman on March 31st, 2005, 1:37 am
Tom Crean - Traitor wrote:Wow, your all so helpful. N00bs.

I had to deal with this all the time at Circuit City, I'd have people come in who were middle age and they felt that me, at 19, clearly didn't know anything about computers. I'd tell them what they needed, and they told me what they wanted and they wanted nothing to do with my opinon. Most of the time you just have to swallow your pride and live with it, because for me at least I can't retaliate back. I think that also if you retaliate back that can make you look even more childish, so most of the time I just suck it up and know I was right or can do better.

At least now I get a little more respect from people when I tell them that I'm going to Marquette for Mechanical Engineering, if I just mention the word Calculus to most people, they'll usually then start to listen to what I have to say.

Hey, 19 year-old here, saying that that sounds very very familiar. As a Best Buy Home Theater Rep., I dealt with a lot of people who assumed that a "kid" didn't know what he was talking about.

But yeah, like others have said, do what you have to do, and find a sympathetic sholder to cry on later.
InsaneNewman

Postby SixFlagsChick on March 31st, 2005, 2:03 pm
Thanks guys. I have been a little snotty to this person, but other than that I can't stay mad. Although....stupid enough... It made me consider leaving my job. When something like that just gets to me that bad it is hard to not even have the thought of leaving. But I decided to stay since it is in my best interest.

We shall see where the coming weeks take me.....!

OOOO 30 More days til SFGAM opens! Then I will be a happy camper!
Resident B*TCH
SixFlagsChick

Postby CoasterDude12-2 on March 31st, 2005, 2:17 pm
Do I Know You wrote:I'd pay a buck fifty for SCK's wisdom.

You are insane. Enough said
CoasterDude12-2

Postby sfga_24/7 on March 31st, 2005, 7:55 pm
Insane in the Membrane.
Out of Colorado in the Piston home red blue and white tonight the 6'3 Chauncey BA....BA....BA.....Bilups!
sfga_24/7

Postby Drkstarboard on April 1st, 2005, 9:01 pm
SixFlagsChick I know how to solve your problem. In the very wise words of Cartman (from South Park for those who don't watch South Park), We will cover that persons walls in poo.
It's green. It's blue. It's all over you! Enjoy your ride on Déjà Vu
Drkstarboard

Postby SFGA Bob on April 1st, 2005, 11:26 pm
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAY! :wink:
I don't have a detonator; its on a timer.
A countdown timer?
No, a count-up timer. It goes from one to explode.
SFGA Bob

Postby yeti_cat on April 2nd, 2005, 9:34 pm
A quote I thought was mildly relevant...came up with it myself:

Ignorance is bliss,
for the ignorant.
-me

I think that you got it covered at this point, and don't really need any advice anymore. But to the rest of the world, people will always treat people like this. Its how the world works. We can make it worse by retaliating or we can swallow our pride and get on with our lives.

Besides, if someone calls you childish as they raise their voice and get red faced...well, thats a good story to tell, and who looks more childish if you take it with a straight face. People that insult people, usually can't deal very well with people who agree with the insults, trust me on that one.
"You are a doodoohead."
"you're right, I am a doodoohead"
"huh? your stupid!"
"you're right, I am stupid"
"I hate you!" (walks away angrily)
"Right back at ya" (walks away cheerfully, stupid people are funny...)

:)
What you don't understand you can make mean anything.
yeti_cat

Postby punkbunny24242 on April 3rd, 2005, 10:17 am
Yeti you said it perfectly. :D

You just have to not let them see that it bothers you and then believe me they will be the mad one because they didn't "get" to you. Be the bigger person and let it go. I know that is much much harder said then done. I am 25 and the youngest person in my office building so I know exactaly what you are talking about and deal with it everyday as well. Hang in there.
punkbunny24242

Postby Dmrbug on April 5th, 2005, 10:16 pm
Read this book, and don't sweat it.
Dmrbug

Postby CoasterTycoon77 on June 3rd, 2005, 1:18 pm
Ditto...I'm 28 and get the same junk from my own FAMILY no less...like, I don't know anything about computers. Well, they for sure don't...so I just sit back and wait until the thing takes a nosedive and they come crying to me...wake me up in the middle of the night, fix this...fix that....badda boom...done. I am a hero. Then it's like, I guess you should've listened to me in the 1st place, huh? So I gotta agree with everyone and say, don't let it get to you. It's not worth it....
CoasterTycoon77

Return to Off-Topic Forum