Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

ShockWave Gone...New Neck rattler... IRONWOLF!

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Galvan on June 30th, 2003, 1:41 am
As Shockwave fades into memory :( (P.S KICK ASS RIDE) The New Neck rattler at GA is none other then the seat in your crotch IRONWOLF, Recently i had the misfourtune of ridding IW and it brings me back to Shockwave. Where you had to wear a neck brace for a week after going to GA. One thing that Shockwave did have that IW will never was a thrill IW is old, and needs to be replaced. Its time in the Sun is over and its time for something New.R.I.P ShockwaveMike
Galvan

Postby coasterguy on June 30th, 2003, 7:57 am
I like Iron Wolf! You have pretty weak neck muscles if it rattles your head around and a low pain tolerance if you wear a neck brace. I don't want it to be replaced. It still has a long line in the summer and I mean a FULL que.
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby goldmember on June 30th, 2003, 8:16 am
I agree. Iron Wolf never seems very rough to me and I almost never bang my head. I think its a great ride and it takes up a very small footprint.
My Top 5: 1)TTD, 2)Millennium Force, 3)Raptor, 4)Deja Vu, 5)Raging Bull
goldmember

Postby InsaneNewman on June 30th, 2003, 8:58 am
As long as you set your seat properly, there's no crotch-mashing... and as long as you lean your head into the corkscrews, it's a great ride.As an added bonus, the rumors of injuries keep the line unbelieveably short.
InsaneNewman

Postby Galvan on June 30th, 2003, 11:21 am
I really used to like IW, But im a Taller and a Little Bigger built guy so for me it does rattle my head and neck . And as for as the neck brace that was a joke. No hard feelings though its all in good fun.MikeCountdown to GA: 22 Hours 7/1/03
Galvan

Postby planea380 on June 30th, 2003, 11:28 am
I liked Shockwave i just wished i could ride it more, I love Iron Wolf and they Better not tear it down.[/u]
planea380

Postby goldmember on June 30th, 2003, 11:31 am
All you have to do is put your head forward so that it doesn't hit the restraints.
My Top 5: 1)TTD, 2)Millennium Force, 3)Raptor, 4)Deja Vu, 5)Raging Bull
goldmember

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on June 30th, 2003, 11:31 am
I really like IW... Sure it's rough but not too rough, and in my opinion, roughness adds to the excitement. I did hurt the upper part of my back on this ride when I went on 6/18, but that was because I was leaning forward and I was really excited after it rained, cause the park really emptied out. I would hate to see them tear this ride down. I have good memories from it. I remember saying "I'm never gonna ride that coaster because you stand up" while looking at it. And eventually 2 months later, I rode it and loved it. I really love the feeling of standing up. It is a great ride with all those sharp turns and inversions. I even get some great airtime on this coaster. It's not like Shockwave was, the line can get pretty full.
Last edited by DejaVuGurl1203 on July 3rd, 2003, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby SFGA 11 on June 30th, 2003, 12:07 pm
I also like Iron Wolf. It ALWAYS has a decent line unlike Shockwave. I only saw Shockwaves line long once, but I have seen IW's line long many times. Also, the GP seems to enjoy it.
SFGA 11

Postby InsaneNewman on June 30th, 2003, 12:23 pm
It's very unique... certainly adds to SF's claim that Great America has a very diverse group of world-class coasters.And, in terms of Shockwave, what's more unique? A (yawn) multi-looper or a flying coaster?
InsaneNewman

Postby coasterguy on June 30th, 2003, 2:03 pm
Well whatever don't ride make the line shorter for me! I can see the corkscrew where ever I sit!!!
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby Do I Know You on June 30th, 2003, 7:45 pm
I personally love Iron Wolf. If you ride in the front and plant your head against the headrest (illogical, but it works) there will be almost no headbanging.
Last edited by Do I Know You on July 2nd, 2003, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this is a signature
Do I Know You

Postby T_Biggs on June 30th, 2003, 7:49 pm
Galvan316 wrote:One thing that Shockwave did have that IW will never was a thrill IW is old, and needs to be replaced. Its time in the Sun is over and its time for something New.
First of all, don't be adding like 3 or 4 empty lines to every post to add that RIP Shockwave thing, it's already in your signature.Second, if we should replace Wolf because it's old, lets get rid of Whizzer, Demon, and American Eagle while we are at it. If you think 13 is old for a coaster, it looks like Batman has 2 years left in it.If you don't think it thrills, thats your opinion. I think Shockwave didn't thrill much. Occasionally you'd get a thrilling ride. My second to last rides on it were my best. I was already numb from riding in 40 degree weather all day, and the ride just seemed to go twice as fast. It was great. Otherwise, it wasn't thrilling, it was bracing for the next impact. I know Iron Wolf can be the same, but at least it does more than loop and corkscrew. It has lots of fancy turns, and awesome extreme changes in banking. Shockwave, other than loops and corkscrews, was just the boomerang and a couple of plain boring turns. But, thats my opinion, maybe you think the Arrow turns and loops kick ass.By the way, my all time favorite inversion is still the classic Arrow vertical loop, especially back to back loops like Shockwave had.
T_Biggs

Postby Galvan on June 30th, 2003, 10:23 pm
You Seriously didnt think Shockwave thrilled you? Thats your opinion but i beg to differ on that one. Unless i have just i little bit higher standards then the Next Person. But personally i think Shockwave was the best. As for Iron Wolf, Like i said before, I have a little bit broader shoulders then then next guy and For me anyway i got jarred around a ton the last time i was on it. Even with my head all the way back. Maybe its my size that makes my head bounce around but in my opinion Iron Wolf is the newest Neck Rattler now that Shockwave is sitting in the Parking lot in peices.Great America Countdown: 10.5 Hours 7/1/03
Last edited by Galvan on June 30th, 2003, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galvan

Postby amy926 on June 30th, 2003, 10:40 pm
IRON WOLF ROCKS BEOTCH!!! :P
amy926

Postby cexd on July 1st, 2003, 5:43 am
I think Demon is the neck rattler. i was sitting by the exit eating ice cream and i heard at least 20 people saying wow i have such a headache.
cexd

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on July 1st, 2003, 2:08 pm
actually, i get a headache on IW, i use to on Demon but not anymore....plus, you guys have to remember, not everyone is the same height as you are....im short and its really hard for me to ride iron wolf without my head being banged against the headrest! :(
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby okinawaboy11 on July 2nd, 2003, 6:04 am
i dont ever think that the iron worlf should be torn down for another 25 years and its a vary smooth ride and was one of the first stand up rollerocasters in the U.S.A
okinawaboy11

Postby Mr. SFGAm on July 2nd, 2003, 11:19 am
I think that the Iron Wolf can be very moody. On my last visit, we rode Iron Wolf in the morning in the last row and had an awesome and smooth ride. We then rode it later on in the afternoon in the same row and it was horrible. Even I got banged around and I know which spots to brace myself for. Yet I still think it's a good ride, and it certainly shouldn't be torn down.
Mr. SFGAm

Postby SfGaMownz on July 2nd, 2003, 3:08 pm
Iron Wolf is almost always rough thats what gives it its charm. You don't find to many rough Beemers, and we can say that we have one at SfGaM :P.
SfGaMownz

Postby raging badger on July 2nd, 2003, 4:02 pm
When I ride Iron Wolf, I pin my head against the right side pad during the corkscrew and some of the last turns and never experience any headbanging. A great coaster!
raging badger

Postby SfGaMownz on July 2nd, 2003, 9:01 pm
raging badger, that is the most intelligent thing that was said in this whole topic. Everyone is complaining about the head banging when 99% of them most likey don't follow the rules as stated. I do on IW and I did on SW and never got any headbanging. So if you don't follow the rules, you don't have the right to complain.
SfGaMownz

Postby coasterzak on July 2nd, 2003, 9:19 pm
I was only on IW once, so it's not fair to say, but I really got rattled. I don't like standups as it is though.
coasterzak

Postby T_Biggs on July 3rd, 2003, 12:03 am
SfGaMownz, are you saying I don't follow the rules on Wolf? :lol: You're right. I always have a comfortable ride on it. I just make the seat about 1 inch lower than if I would just stand in it, put my feet against the backing of the car (still flat on the floor, though,) and lean into the harness. Someone on CoasterBuzz introduced me to that technique. I think it was Jeff explaining how to get a smooth ride on Mantis, but it was so long ago, I don't remember. And contrary to popular belief, Mantis is not rough.
T_Biggs

Postby SfGaMownz on July 3rd, 2003, 10:52 am
So you lean your head in front of the harness? Isn't that uncomfortable?
SfGaMownz

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum