Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

What to do to Space Shuttle America

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby StealthNet on May 27th, 2003, 1:05 am
Anyone else remember during the first couple of seasons of SSA in the queue area inside the building there were actually live actors behind the glass? They were pretending to look busy at all of the control panels in this "mission control center." Anyone else remember this or am I just imagining it?Also, while the ride itself I am not that impressed with (it is decent for what it is, however), I am impressed with Six Flags taking a chance with a dark ride, and spending so much on the theming. I also heard that SFOT got a SSA in 2002, and it is supposedly "improved." Anyone hear anything about this, and what has improved from our version?
StealthNet

Postby coastrcorey on May 27th, 2003, 4:02 pm
Hmm... I don't remember there ever being live actors... There could've been though.
coastrcorey

Postby CoolKevinD23 on May 28th, 2003, 8:22 pm
I have replied to this before. But it seems i must have not mad my statement clear. i ment we should put in another B & M coaster that is 200 feet plus, but this time we should make it a floorless. Or we should put in a new wooden coaster we need a wooden coaster bad. I think we should get ahold of who ever did the Beast and The Son Of Beast. 2 of the best wooden coasters in the world. We should get a very high wooden one with a couple loops would be great. What do you guys think about that? Let me know your opinions?[/img]
CoolKevinD23

Postby chiatrain on May 28th, 2003, 8:43 pm
I don't know if SFGAm needs another wooden coaster at this point, even if it is a looping coaster. During my ride on Rue Le Dodge today, I overheard some kids who wanted to go on Vertical Velocity, but thought it would be 'cooler' to head to Space Shuttle America(which was closed). I vaguely remember live actors in SSA's queue but am thinking it must have been within the first year or two of its operation.
chiatrain

Postby SfGaMownz on May 28th, 2003, 9:29 pm
Kids wanting to go on SSA!!! I am shocked :shock: . Where they by any chance wobbling around or holding some sort of rolled up piece of paper or leaf :? ?
SfGaMownz

Postby T_Biggs on May 28th, 2003, 9:50 pm
Beast is Dinn Corp, which kind of evolved into CCI, (Charles Dinn's daughter founded CCI,) and was driven into the ground, then she was hired by S&S, who is building/built the new woodie at the Six Flags in Seattle. So, if you want a Beast-style of today, Six Flags would need to talk to S&S, I guess.SOB was a whole bunch of companies and Werner Stengel. I know Roller Coaster Corporation of America and Premier were involved, maybe more. Anyways, I hear almost only bad things about it, except the loop. But loops belong with steel. It's the way it's always been for almost forever. Sure, there were a few flip flap railways way back when, and SOB today... But really, want a loop? Talk to Intamin, S&S-Arrow, Gerslauter(sp?), or B&M.Plus, we don't need more wood. We have all the wood types rolled up in 2. We have a giant wood, racing wood, out and back wood, and twister wood. Both filled with airtime (usually both are.)We need more flats! Forget coasters, lets get Huss giant flats! Our coaster collection is one of the best in the world, let it just sit there, glouriously, for a few years while it enjoys the compliment of Huss giant flats. Then, around 2006 or 2007, add a record breaking floorless looping coaster, in height, speed, length, and number of loops! Imagine at least 11 loops! B&M would no way be able to use the standard order, because they would have to repeat some! I think, in order, it could be something like cobra roll, zero-g, dive loop, dive loop, batwing, loop, loop, and interlocking double corkscrews. Sweetness, 2 dive loops, a double loop to fill the void of Shockwave's double loops, and a batwing! And so I may have had interlocking corks, so we could have 13 loops.But hey, I'm just dreaming about what would be one killer ride... Too bad it won't happen. I guess I'll just have to win Powerball and build one for myself. :lol:
T_Biggs

Postby SfGaMownz on May 28th, 2003, 10:01 pm
It could happen :shock: . In RCT2, No Linits, or Hyper Rails :lol: . That would be one sweet coaster and I bet the GP would be to afraid to ride it which equals short lines, except that was SWs case and look at it now :cry: .
SfGaMownz

Postby CoolKevinD23 on May 29th, 2003, 12:43 am
To ChiaTrain: What do you mean by another wooden rollercoaster? There is only 2. American Eagle and the Viper. WE need another wooden one. This time make it high fast loops and dives into itself tima and time again. where it makes you look like your gonna hit your head. And great air time. So i dont know why u say we dont need another wooden one when they only got 2? Let me know what everyone thinks about this concept?
CoolKevinD23

Postby SwissCoaster on May 29th, 2003, 1:03 pm
No more wooden coasters. SAVE THE TREES!!!(It's my opinion, I know.)
SwissCoaster

Postby tacoking1664 on May 29th, 2003, 1:06 pm
yea, they need to put a new wooden coaster in the park. nothing wrong with viper and eagle, but its about time for a 3rd. UNLESS, they can deliver with a great steel coaster, like what they did with Superman.
Eh, what's up?
tacoking1664

Postby DemonRules on May 29th, 2003, 2:55 pm
tacoking1664 wrote:yea, they need to put a new wooden coaster in the park. nothing wrong with viper and eagle, but its about time for a 3rd. UNLESS, they can deliver with a great steel coaster, like what they did with Superman.
I agree, there is a definite need for a new woodie, the only problem is, I love it when they are surrouded in trees, or at least secluded a little, and there is no spot like that left at Six Flags, unless they tear down the Whizzer, which i daily pray that they do.
DemonRules

Postby Aero737 on May 29th, 2003, 3:21 pm
Some of the answers to the Wooden roller coaster stuff can be found in the Why doesnt Six Flags build more woodies topic. I dont see Great America tearing out SSA or the Go Karts. I espically dont see Six Flags building a wooden rollercoaster there. Six Flags doesnt like spending lots of money to maintain wooden coasters and 3 would tick them off.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby T_Biggs on May 29th, 2003, 7:31 pm
SwissCoaster wrote:No more wooden coasters. SAVE THE TREES!!!(It's my opinion, I know.)
Some wooden coasters are hardly any wood at all. There are new and old examples of this. One of the oldest is the Coney Island Cyclone. The only wood is the track (and station, but even steel coasters usually use wood frame stations, just like houses.) Many CCIs have steel structures, too. Zeus, for example, has the highest supports made of steel. Villian at SFWoA I guess is entirely steel. Anyways, they don't just go to random forests and cut down random trees. They get trees of a specific type (I think some sort of pine,) probably from a forest grown specifically for lumber. Don't worry about the remaining forests up North, those aren't harvest forests for the most part :)And someone said they need a new wood that dives in itself, has lots of airtime, and loops. Viper does all of that but the bad part, loops. Leave loops to steel. :roll:
T_Biggs

Postby NoUseForAName on May 29th, 2003, 8:11 pm
aero737 wrote:Some of the answers to the Wooden roller coaster stuff can be found in the Why doesnt Six Flags build more woodies topic. I dont see Great America tearing out SSA or the Go Karts. I espically dont see Six Flags building a wooden rollercoaster there. Six Flags doesnt like spending lots of money to maintain wooden coasters and 3 would tick them off.
Actually Aero my topic became Why doesn't great america buy more wooden coasters rather than why original idea of Why Doesn't SixFlags' Coaster Company build and design any more woodies. I also agree we do not need any more wood. in my opinion we have 3 woodies but, im with the few and the proud that count American Eagle as 2 coasters. I agree with Biggs that we really don't need a coaster for awhile we need flat rides.
Deja Vu, Intensity Over Reliability.
NoUseForAName

Postby Blinkcoaster on May 29th, 2003, 10:30 pm
That might be true. Some people need to ride flat rides. But from Gam perspective what brings in the big bucks is going in for the most part.
Hey it could happen....
Blinkcoaster

Postby planea380 on June 2nd, 2003, 5:04 pm
How bout building a actuall rollercoaster with an enclosed train and have a video screen in front of you so its like SSA and A rollercoaster
planea380

Postby InsaneNewman on June 3rd, 2003, 12:03 pm
That's an interesting idea... does anyone know if the coaster-as-a-motion-simulator thing has ever been done before? As an added bonus, unlike regular motion simulators, you get the real drop fealing and G-Forces. Although, having an enclosed train kind of limits those who want to see the outside world.Here's a thought: have the first row be open, and the rest enclosed. Then make a seperate line for the first row, like on Batman and Bull.
InsaneNewman

Postby coastrcorey on June 3rd, 2003, 3:55 pm
Hmm... I think that would be a pretty complex ride. I'm not sure that sounds like something that would interest me very much.
coastrcorey

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on June 3rd, 2003, 7:34 pm
i think they have somthing like that already, but its very small(only 6 people can fit in it) but i think thats a very cool idea! 8)
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby planea380 on June 5th, 2003, 8:52 am
Yea, hav 2 seperate lines. Mabe the first car open so you can sit more people. We should bring this up to SFGAM. who knows maybe they would build it. We were crazy enough to build all theese first so lets build this.
planea380

Postby planea380 on June 12th, 2003, 1:13 pm
im guessin no1 likes my idea since no1 is respoding :( :cry:
planea380

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on June 12th, 2003, 8:10 pm
its not that no one likes it....i just seems impossible to do.....id would be pretty stange too....maybe you can clear it up a bit and explain more. :wink:
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby planea380 on June 13th, 2003, 10:59 am
You enter the line then half way through the line splits to create one for the simulated part, and another for the open air part.(first to cars). The simulated cras are enclosed trains with a video screen in front of you. While you are riding the ride you feel the G's unlike a conventual simulator. The movie can match the track layout.(ex Flight of the Eagle) The it could also be possible to add sounds behind and infront of you to make a real world experience or also remove the sound if the coaster train. Is that a better explaination?
planea380

Postby InsaneNewman on June 13th, 2003, 6:34 pm
I think that's cool! What about a four-train coaster. Two are simulators, two are basic trains. Split the platform into two sides, like Eagle, but instead of running two tracks, have a switching mechanism alternate trains... simulator, normal, simulator, normal. That way it's actually two rides in one. Two trains running at all times, the third and fourth being loaded at the same time. The next train of each type departs when the other train of that type arrives in station.Only problem: video projection. It would have to be a flat panel screen, and one large enough to do motion simulation would be extremely expensive.
InsaneNewman

Postby planea380 on June 13th, 2003, 8:23 pm
The two train types is a great idea,but each car is an enclosed with a 24" flat screen for each row of seats. The ride maybe a big investment but would be very popular.Raging Bull and Batman were big investment and they are 2 of the most popular at the park.
planea380

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum