Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Young child died at SFGAm today, opening day

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby chiatrain on May 3rd, 2003, 6:42 pm
I just came in and heard this on the radio. I don't know if it's a male or female, but a young child died on Raging Bull today. There was no word as to what the cause was, but I checked some news pages online that state it may have been eating while on the ride. If I find any other information, I'll bring it along.
chiatrain

Postby TooTired on May 3rd, 2003, 7:20 pm
Thats horrible. Did anyone see anything while you were there today?
TooTired

Postby stolen_starz on May 3rd, 2003, 7:33 pm
oh wow, that is really sad. i just wonder how it happened. i wonder if they'll shut down the ride, what do u guys think?
Need a break from college homework.. 2004 season, come faster!!
stolen_starz

Postby T_Biggs on May 3rd, 2003, 7:49 pm
I think this is the first ride-caused death in park history. And if it was caused by food, it's not really the ride's fault, but idiocy's fault.
T_Biggs

Postby stolen_starz on May 3rd, 2003, 7:53 pm
no someone died in six flags when the edge was there.
stolen_starz

Postby stolen_starz on May 3rd, 2003, 7:56 pm
i guess it was like the giant drop and once one car dropped, it would contract in and another one would but it didn't contract for some reason and another one fell on top of it. it was removed that same season. i do'nt think the person that died was actually ON the ride though, i think they were standing by it. my mom said they got hit by something that flew off a car. weird...
stolen_starz

Postby chiatrain on May 3rd, 2003, 8:07 pm
Ok, this is from WBBM Radio AM 720 in Chicago. I don't know if the ride being Raging Bull is confirmed, but a young girl died while choking on candy. I'll bring more word when it comes available.edit> Ok, the story gets more detailed as we move forward. It was an 11 year old girl who was on the Raging Bull with her relative. Apparently, she choked to death while chewing gum/candy. When the coaster came back to the station, she was found unconscious. She has not been identified yet.
chiatrain

Postby joker on May 3rd, 2003, 8:18 pm
So thats not really the rides fault. Thats her stupid fault while chewing gum or eating candy on the ride. I mean...I dont think they can sue...if you kina think about it.
-Roller Coaster Enthusiast
joker

Postby chiatrain on May 3rd, 2003, 8:21 pm
It is not the ride's fault, from what information we know at this point. I don't pay attention to the *warning* signs posted out of the ride, but there may be a "no food" warning posted outside Raging Bull and other coasters. Gum and candy may not seem like much, but when you're on a coaster like Raging Bull, it can easily get caught in the throat especially if you try to scream and such. But, I'm sure there will be more details. But, this is a sad note to start off the season.
chiatrain

Postby T_Biggs on May 3rd, 2003, 8:24 pm
Stolen_starz, that isn't true, nobody died on the Edge. Find that "Rides 911" site, it has a newpaper clip of it. I think it was 3 teenagers were injured because a car rolled down it's elevator, and it curled around them, trapping them. NOBODY DIED ON THE EDGE! Or off, for that matter. No shrapel from the Edge killed anyone (well maybe at Rocky Point or SFWoA, but not SFGAm.)
T_Biggs

Postby joker on May 3rd, 2003, 8:32 pm
My dad someone did...but maybe it was just injury.
-Roller Coaster Enthusiast
joker

Postby dnL on May 3rd, 2003, 8:37 pm
dnL

Postby AmericanRails on May 3rd, 2003, 8:40 pm
Wow, that sucks.
AmericanRails

Postby chiatrain on May 3rd, 2003, 9:10 pm
Latest word from Fox News Chicago. Apparently, a ride operator or a park official did perform CPR on the young girl, but it was too late. Word is, for now, that she died of an non-coaster related incident. Raging Bull will remain open.
chiatrain

Postby stolen_starz on May 3rd, 2003, 9:21 pm
Ok T_Biggs, maybe no one died, you really need to lose the additude though, i really don't enjoy posting with you because you get an attitude about so many things. you can maybe find a way to reword things so they don't sound so cocky maybe? just a suggestion because maybe i'm not the only one who gets the impression u think u know everything. ok, maybe no one died. i just simply posted what my mom told me. my uncle told me that too. and who is to say that site isn't wrong?
stolen_starz

Postby T_Biggs on May 3rd, 2003, 9:23 pm
Sorry, but when people say "and they died on the Edge!" I just get, edgy, so to speak. One of those things I can't stand to hear and must at all costs make it clear nobody died on it. :lol:
T_Biggs

Postby stolen_starz on May 3rd, 2003, 9:24 pm
ok, i was just posting what my mom said. i don't know for sure but that is what people say around here. that someone died that was standing by the ride. i knew 3 teenagers got hurt but i also heard that someone died. i don't know if it's true or not. just posting what i heard :)
stolen_starz

Postby chiatrain on May 3rd, 2003, 9:36 pm
I wasn't going to post this until it was confirmed. There was a boy from Detroit who visited Great America with his performing arts group..but then he drowned at his hotel pool. Now, with the Raging Bull incident, there will be an autopsy on Sunday. Apparently, the State ride safety board gave the green light to re-open Raging Bull later on in the day.
chiatrain

Postby SfGaMownz on May 3rd, 2003, 10:17 pm
They said they aren't 100% sure how she died but they say it was most likey something caught in her throat (gum/candy) or some sort of medical condition. The autopsy is schedualed for tommorow at 8 A.M. As previously stated Raging Bull was inspected and given the green-light to re-open and it did at about 4 today.
SfGaMownz

Postby CoasterDave316 on May 3rd, 2003, 10:32 pm
Yeah they had that whole area blocked off today for a good hour. They shut down Giant Drop and of course Bull. Three guys in the station tried giving her CPR I guess but she wasn't responding. Its very sad, and not a way to start the season. Like SFGAmMownz said though that every thing was back to normal by 4p.m. I didn't even think the girl died since they reopened the ride so quick. But once I started seeing the newschoppers flying around at around 7, I knew something was up.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on May 3rd, 2003, 10:40 pm
I also from a lot of people that not only 3 teenage boys got injured on the ride but also someone died on it. I looked it up on the internet a few years ago and it also said that there. I cant say that its true or not.Anyway I was at the park today and Raging Bull was closed for a while. Of course they didnt say why. It did open later on and I went on it. I did watch that segment about the girl that died. Thats horrible. The segment stated that the girl died while eating candy. So it really wasnt ride related.
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby Papas on May 3rd, 2003, 11:06 pm
I was there in the queue and they evacuated people off the lift and rushed people out of the queue. The ride did open later in the day.
Papas

Postby SfGaMownz on May 3rd, 2003, 11:48 pm
the news person from WGN drove up to me while i was waiting in the drop-off/pick-up area and asked me which coaster was Raging Bull. I had already heard about the person dieong haveing overheard a conversation about it in Guest Realtions. I pointed it to him and he said thank you. He was not filming at the time :lol: . Sadly :cry: .
SfGaMownz

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on May 3rd, 2003, 11:56 pm
I was in line for SUF when it happened because when I got off my dad said that Raging Bull was closed. A half hour later we found out a girl passed out on the ride. At around 4 it opened back up. When I got home my mom said that she heard that the girl died.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby dj6ross on May 4th, 2003, 12:48 am
That's not good that a girl died on the Bull or after she got off or whatever, but it appears to be her own fault I guess. :cry: I'm just glad it's not ride related. :wink:
dj6ross

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum