Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2019 Opening Weekend

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JaminOut on April 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:Did anyone buy food today? Last Spring, it seemed as though the park was woefully understaffed at the Dining locations. Even though it didn't seem that the park was that busy, we stood in line and waited for food for almost 40 minutes. Curious if the same thing is happening during 2019's opening weekend.

Not *as* bad as last year. Chop Six was at 25 minutes at peak lunch time. Other lines looked to be similar. Lines for stands were around 6-10 deep depending on how busy the area was.

A side note: My season pass never registered at the gate, so they couldn’t scan my season pass. They said that was happening to a lot of people.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby anewman35 on April 19th, 2019, 10:14 pm
JaminOut wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:Did anyone buy food today? Last Spring, it seemed as though the park was woefully understaffed at the Dining locations. Even though it didn't seem that the park was that busy, we stood in line and waited for food for almost 40 minutes. Curious if the same thing is happening during 2019's opening weekend.

Not *as* bad as last year. Chop Six was at 25 minutes at peak lunch time. Other lines looked to be similar. Lines for stands were around 6-10 deep depending on how busy the area was.

A side note: My season pass never registered at the gate, so they couldn’t scan my season pass. They said that was happening to a lot of people.

Yes, I would agree - not great, but not as bad as some of the worst experiences I had last year. I'll never get why they can't implement some simple things that could make lines more so much faster. Like I was at a pizza place with one person on the register and two others who kept coming from the back with food and helping to serve people. That's all fine, except the girl on the register also kept going to get food and serve it, and was the only person refilling bottles. So, sometimes it was as much as a few minutes before she would take the next order, and lead to a fairly long line. Would have been so much efficient if the person on the register JUST did the register and had the other two people focus on serving the food and refilling bottles...
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on April 20th, 2019, 1:23 am
Btw to everyone reading that wasn’t here today, they now take your photo which is gonna be awful cause they take it so damn quick, right upon entering/scanning your pass for the first time. It’s the new fingerprint. Found it weird. But moving on to food, yes I went to “JBs” & it took 20min. I got Up there, she asked me what I wanted, typed it in, scanned my pass & I was Done. I literally threw my hands in the air like why did I just Wait in line for 20min when my order took one minute if that?!
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on April 20th, 2019, 8:32 am
I think the photos (if this is a new permanent thing) will ultimately be lot faster than the fingerprints was. This is a positive change I think.
anewman35

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 20th, 2019, 8:43 am
It will be. They can just scan the pass, then look at the picture, then you're in! With the finger scanner, sometimes it didn't work at first when I was using it, people didn't know what to do, and just was slower.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby ChicagoCoasters on April 20th, 2019, 10:27 am

I got food at Macho Nacho (which was actually pretty good) and Go Fresh Cafe in Orleans Place. At Macho Nacho 3 people in front of me complained about how people behind them were getting served and the people had been standing there for 20 minutes. I was standing at the refill station for about 10 minutes at Macho Nacho and it was like he didn't even see me. People were coming up and getting refills in less than a minute and I was just standing there with an empty bottle. So after about 20 minutes I asked him when my order was coming. He goes to check and he says it's not on the order board and I'm like are you serious. Then the guy asked for my receipt but the cashier didn't give me my receipt. So after about 25 minutes of waiting I finally got my food and it wasn't that bad but it's not worth 25 minutes of waiting. Go Fresh wasn't that bad it's just they kept messing up people's orders so the line took a while. I get that's it's opening week and it's Six Flags but c'mon man you guys gotta be better than that.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby ChicagoCoasters on April 20th, 2019, 10:41 am
Sorry for the double post but there was a power outage yesterday and all but 4 rides were closed during it. Batman, X-Flight, and Goliath all got stuck because of it. The only rides that were open were River Rocker, Chubasco, Raging Bull, and Ricochet. I asked an employee why those were open and it was because those rides are connected to a different power box. Also yesterday, Goliath didn't open with the park. We saw it test 1 train and we booked it over there. They then transferred the red train off the tracks and a head supervisor came down and said that the state inspector had to inspect one of the trains. He said that one of them was new but I think it was just new to operation this year. They then transferred the red train back on the trains and then the Orange one on too. It was cool to see them transfer the trains on and off the tracks. They then started testing the brakes and the anti-rollback devices. Both trains stopped on the lift a few times during testing. I assume this was because of them testing and not it breaking down. After almost 2 hours of waiting it finally opened and we got 1st ride of the year in it. They then sent the red train empty and when they sent the Orange train back up with people on it, Goliath got stuck on the lift hill. It didn't reopen until right before the power outage and then got stuck during the power outage and operated smoothly for the rest of the day until about 5:30 when a wheel broke. One of friends got on it and said it was extremely bumpy the whole time. Goliath had a lot of problems yesterday. Let's hope it gets better throughout the season.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 20th, 2019, 11:39 am
They are running one train on RB and XFlight. Not sure why.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby ilrider on April 20th, 2019, 3:11 pm
ChicagoCoasters wrote:Sorry for the double post but there was a power outage yesterday and all but 4 rides were closed during it. Batman, X-Flight, and Goliath all got stuck because of it. The only rides that were open were River Rocker, Chubasco, Raging Bull, and Ricochet. I asked an employee why those were open and it was because those rides are connected to a different power box. Also yesterday, Goliath didn't open with the park. We saw it test 1 train and we booked it over there. They then transferred the red train off the tracks and a head supervisor came down and said that the state inspector had to inspect one of the trains. He said that one of them was new but I think it was just new to operation this year. They then transferred the red train back on the trains and then the Orange one on too. It was cool to see them transfer the trains on and off the tracks. They then started testing the brakes and the anti-rollback devices. Both trains stopped on the lift a few times during testing. I assume this was because of them testing and not it breaking down. After almost 2 hours of waiting it finally opened and we got 1st ride of the year in it. They then sent the red train empty and when they sent the Orange train back up with people on it, Goliath got stuck on the lift hill. It didn't reopen until right before the power outage and then got stuck during the power outage and operated smoothly for the rest of the day until about 5:30 when a wheel broke. One of friends got on it and said it was extremely bumpy the whole time. Goliath had a lot of problems yesterday. Let's hope it gets better throughout the season.

Goliath was not running well today either. We saw it sending empty trains out two different times in the few minutes we were sitting at Fiddler’s Fling.
ilrider

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 20th, 2019, 4:42 pm
Eagle Red was very rough. I didn't like it that much. I really hope the park will restore it soon because the roughness during the helix is awful in my opinion
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Wisco Woody on April 21st, 2019, 2:19 pm
Operations and breakdowns are awful today, and the crews they have on some coasters today dont look like they are capable of improving quickly enough before daily operation. After the last 2 nights of good operations and shorter lines at King's Island opening weekend, this is quite a disappointment.
Wisco Woody

Postby coasterfanatic on April 22nd, 2019, 12:53 am
I was at park on Saturday and here are my takeaways:

1) Park was pretty busy. Got to back parking lot. Longest lines were Joker and Superman.
2) Superman, XFlight and Demon were only coasters with one train. Everything else had 2. Joker only had 3.
Eagle only had red side (both trains), but one blue train was in station and they were working on second blue train. Blue side never opened though.
3) MaxxForce is NO WHERE close to being ready. They have a lot of work to do. Won't be open til at least June in my opinion.
4) They are advertising a show starting in GMH in late May but don't mention which show.
5) Operationally, everything was pretty solid. You can tell there is some new crew but it was only second day. Impressive that maintenance had so much ready despite the quick turnaround.
6) Food was slow as normal.
7) Fountain drinks are now an option as a snack on dining pass.
8) Battle was testing. Flumes and rapids were not filled yet.
9) Whizzer still has missing track pieces and so does the train. Those likely won't open til MaxxForce does
10) Carousel was closed. Not sure why
11) New Flash Passes this year. No more Q-bots. It's a now like a wristwatch. Flash Pass operator scans the flash pass with same type of device that they use to check in tickets at front gate.

I believe that's everything.
coasterfanatic

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on April 22nd, 2019, 3:39 am
coasterfanatic wrote:2) Superman, XFlight and Demon were only coasters with one train. Everything else had 2. Joker only had 3.
Eagle only had red side (both trains), but one blue train was in station and they were working on second blue train. Blue side never opened though.

Demon had/has 2 train operation.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 22nd, 2019, 7:28 am
They were only running the yellow train on Raging Bull too. I don't know why they were doing that because you could see the teal train in storage.

For food, I always try getting to food places right around 11:30. We got there around 11:50ish and there was no line and food plates were already waiting to be served. When we walked around the park one more time the County Fair Food Court was packed and looked awful. It just depends on when you go.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SycoCoasterDad on April 22nd, 2019, 8:49 am
[quote="coasterfanatic"
3) MaxxForce is NO WHERE close to being ready. They have a lot of work to do. Won't be open til at least June in my opinion.
4) They are advertising a show starting in GMH in late May but don't mention which show.

I believe that's everything.[/quote]

I was there on Friday. Member services was handing out member appreciation day flyers which listed May 24th as the member preview day for Maxx Force. Based on how it looked on Friday, I am doubtful that will happen. However, it does seem that they are using areas of HH to access the construction area, so that will have to be done by HH opening date. Maybe there's a chance. I would expect possibly longer working hours to get it done?

On the GMH show . . . we were able to ride Sky Trek early Friday and their new narration mentions Rocklusions as the show for GMH. It is definitely a new narration because it references it makes to Maxx Force, so not sure if the show name is inaccurate, if we are getting the same show, or a reworked version of the same show title?
SycoCoasterDad

Postby Jackluver18 on April 22nd, 2019, 10:53 am
My friends and I waited an HOUR AND A HALF in Guest Relations on Friday for AAP. An hour and a half?! There was one person doing AAP. When AAP is in Mardi Gras, it takes 15 minutes...if that. By the time we got out, it was after 12 and we were hungry. Went to go eat at JB's and when all of us got our food, is when the power outage happened. I got on 2 rides Friday....Dark Knight and Bull because rides were going up and down due to the power outage. I am not a fan of having AAP in Guest Relations. If you're gonna do that, make sure you have at least two people doing AAP because Friday was absolutely ridiculous. The line was still out the door when I left at 4:30 which is insane.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby coasterfanatic on April 22nd, 2019, 11:58 am
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:2) Superman, XFlight and Demon were only coasters with one train. Everything else had 2. Joker only had 3.

Demon had/has 2 train operation.

It only had one train when I rode it early on Saturday. Didn't notice if there was another train on transfer or not and did not ride it anymore throughout day.

Bull apparently wasn't adding second train until around lunch time. It had one train at start of day but added second train later.

Not sure why but the narration didn't play on Sky Trek when I rode it on Saturday afternoon. I assumed that it just wasn't ready but apparently it is as others have heard it.

In regards to MaxxForce, sure, it could be ready by late May but the park is likely not going to be in a rush to get it done. Track pieces are still in back lot, no word on if trains have arrived yet, station isn't built, the hill from Pictorium is still a hill so lots that needs to be done in basically a month, not to mention testing, electrical, training etc. Just don't see how it can be ready in a month. I saw some guys working on it when I was there but it just like one or two guys. It didn't look like there was any major work going on while the park was open, at least not yet.
coasterfanatic

Postby cliffhanger on April 22nd, 2019, 4:07 pm
Jackluver18 wrote:My friends and I waited an HOUR AND A HALF in Guest Relations on Friday for AAP.

What's AAP?
cliffhanger

Postby UnclePennybags on April 22nd, 2019, 4:56 pm
cliffhanger wrote:
Jackluver18 wrote:My friends and I waited an HOUR AND A HALF in Guest Relations on Friday for AAP.

What's AAP?

AAP = Attraction Access Pass

My brother gets it so we can walk up the exit ramp of a ride instead of standing in line for a couple of hours. Think of it as a poor man's flash pass, except you're supposed to be physically or mentally debilitated in some way in order to get/use it.
UnclePennybags

Postby cliffhanger on April 22nd, 2019, 5:10 pm
UnclePennybags wrote:
cliffhanger wrote:

What's AAP?

Wow, that really sucks. Now what was the huge line in hometown square for on Friday?
cliffhanger

Postby SycoCoasterDad on April 22nd, 2019, 5:19 pm
cliffhanger wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:
cliffhanger wrote:[quote="Jackluver18"]My friends and I waited an HOUR AND A HALF in Guest Relations on Friday for AAP.

What's AAP?

Wow, that really sucks. Now what was the huge line in hometown square for on Friday?[/quote]

Membership Services

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SycoCoasterDad

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 22nd, 2019, 8:19 pm
The phones given to employees for scanning passes and taking pictures all had identical popsockets on them. I could see the park selling those popsockets in gift shops.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby cliffhanger on April 23rd, 2019, 9:08 am
SFGAM_Hog wrote:The phones given to employees for scanning passes and taking pictures all had identical popsockets on them. I could see the park selling those popsockets in gift shops.

Attraction specific ones, heck yeah. Id buy a Demon one any day. But no way Im flaunting a plain Six Flags logo.
cliffhanger

Postby rmceagle2021 on April 23rd, 2019, 11:46 am
coasterfanatic wrote:I was at park on Saturday and here are my takeaways:

1) Park was pretty busy. Got to back parking lot. Longest lines were Joker and Superman.
2) Superman, XFlight and Demon were only coasters with one train. Everything else had 2. Joker only had 3.
5) Operationally, everything was pretty solid. You can tell there is some new crew but it was only second day. Impressive that maintenance had so much ready despite the quick turnaround.
6) Food was slow as normal.
7) Fountain drinks are now an option as a snack on dining pass.
8) Battle was testing. Flumes and rapids were not filled yet.
9) Whizzer still has missing track pieces and so does the train. Those likely won't open til MaxxForce does
10) Carousel was closed. Not sure why
11) New Flash Passes this year. No more Q-bots. It's a now like a wristwatch. Flash Pass operator scans the flash pass with same type of device that they use to check in tickets at front gate.

I believe that's everything.

I saw that the Carousel got a new a floor. I saw in jiggidy's video that during the buyout last week that many of the horses will still off so they must of just got them in and did not have time to certified it before opening day
rmceagle2021

Postby cliffhanger on April 23rd, 2019, 4:26 pm
rmceagle2021 wrote:I saw that the Carousel got a new a floor.
At least the bottom level did. The top floor looked like it still had carpet.
cliffhanger

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum