Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby gottastrata33 on September 2nd, 2013, 11:02 pm
Sporlo wrote:
Sporlo wrote:
Sporlo wrote:Is there a master list for all the wood coasters with polyurethane wheels?
Have any wood coasters switched between steel/poly wheels without changing their track type?

Even a simple "no" would be nice.

I couldnt tell ya kiddo, sorry! I know one person who may know but hes really hard to get a hold of. When I can, I will let you know either way, promise.

Our park is going to change forever with these editions, I really hope & think the next 6 seasons are gonna be geared more towards thrill than anything. Maybe the wave of family additions is being turned around...Dont expect all coasters though. I could see "eXtreme" water slide editions, "go-big" flats & yes maybe another coaster or so. But I really think seein we just got XFlight & now this, that the park realizes this works well with the GP & once Goliath outs us back on the map, they'll want that attention/tourism again. Thats my view on all this at least.
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterMike on September 3rd, 2013, 5:04 pm
Anybody know when the construction process will start?
CoasterMike

Postby Goliath72165 on September 3rd, 2013, 7:29 pm
[quote="kossdude1"]Six Flags Great America will with no doubt, be one of the single best parks in the US if not the world next year.

I am not sure SFGAm will be the best amusement park in the world however, I do agree with you that SFGAm will be voted one of the best amusement parks next year due to the addition of Goliath. We are a VERY lucky park. For some reason, there are not alot of big roller coasers being built next year in the US.
Goliath72165

Postby Millennium310 on September 3rd, 2013, 7:53 pm
^ Then hopefully we will see many in two years, but as for next year, it'll be a pretty close competition between Goliath and Banshee.
Millennium310

Postby CoasterMike on September 3rd, 2013, 8:02 pm
Millennium310 wrote:^ Then hopefully we will see many in two years, but as for next year, it'll be a pretty close competition between Goliath and Banshee.

Lets all hope that Goliath wins!
CoasterMike

Postby FParker185 on September 3rd, 2013, 9:38 pm
I can't see any scenario in which SFGAm wins best park, cause it's simply nowhere even close(of course neither is Cedar Point). Best new ride of 2014 though is a serious possibility.
Last edited by FParker185 on September 8th, 2013, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby ZForce Rider on September 3rd, 2013, 10:47 pm
It's great to see Great America getting back into the game again with rides like Goliath. It looks like a real winner and harkens back to the when the bragging rights mattered.

I truly haven't been this excited about a new coaster since Shockwave hit in the late 80s. X-Flight looks ok (haven't ridden it) but pound for pound, dollar for dollar, Goliath will have lines. Long lines.

Great America has had a long tradition of coaster firsts -- going all the way back to '81 when the American Eagle debuted. Goliath follows in those footsteps. I'm looking forward to it.
ZForce Rider

Postby Sporlo on September 5th, 2013, 12:21 am
Glad the thread name got changed.
Sporlo

Postby gottastrata33 on September 5th, 2013, 2:55 am
Yes, I'm glad theres one official thread where anything Goliath can be discussed now.

So there is no reason to worry about this Sept. 9th meeting? It makes me so nervous that Hank stated were still waiting approval & if you look at the animation it could be anywhere - it takes place in the middle of no where woods. Then with the images & logo released, theres no Great America font/logo attached. Its like they knew this thing may not be approved so all media for the coaster could easily be used for another park.

Its 3am, I hope Im just bein a pansy worry wart. Just somethin I was thinkin about.
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on September 5th, 2013, 6:56 am
gottastrata33 wrote:So there is no reason to worry about this Sept. 9th meeting? It makes me so nervous that Hank stated were still waiting approval & if you look at the animation it could be anywhere - it takes place in the middle of no where woods. Then with the images & logo released, theres no Great America font/logo attached. Its like they knew this thing may not be approved so all media for the coaster could easily be used for another park.

Its 3am, I hope Im just bein a pansy worry wart. Just somethin I was thinkin about.

There is zero reason to be worried. Gurnee has never not approved anything the park wanted, the zoning board approved it unanimously, and the mayor is on record as being very excited about this ride. Unless it comes out tomorrow that the park was bribing every official in Gurnee, there's no chance of any problems.
anewman35

Postby ilrider on September 5th, 2013, 7:17 am
gottastrata33 wrote:Yes, I'm glad theres one official thread where anything Goliath can be discussed now.

So there is no reason to worry about this Sept. 9th meeting? It makes me so nervous that Hank stated were still waiting approval & if you look at the animation it could be anywhere - it takes place in the middle of no where woods. Then with the images & logo released, theres no Great America font/logo attached. Its like they knew this thing may not be approved so all media for the coaster could easily be used for another park.

The one video released for the ride does have the park name at the end. The park is already full of signs advertizing the ride. This ride=more tax dollars for Gurnee in more visitors to Gurnee. The park already brings in over $2 million a year in taxes for the village. Then, these visitors stay at the hotels, eat at the restaurants, and maybe visit Gurnee Mills mall to spend even more money. No politician is going to fail to approve it when it increases the village's bottom line.
ilrider

Postby SFGAm Viper on September 5th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Also the reason why the animation wasn't up to par with Keiths other animations was time constraints. Not enough time to add in the other rides and surroundings.
SFGAm Viper

Postby JimPanky on September 5th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Yeah good call on the officialness.
JimPanky

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 7th, 2013, 10:04 pm
September 7th Construction Update

Just about all of the Iron Wolf footers have been removed

No more equipment in the back half of the area

The last Iron Wolf support is gone

Red electrical markings between the railroad station and the warehouse

Iron Wolf support

Nothing has changed over here other than the equipment being moved out
DejaVu2001

Postby Viper 88 on September 8th, 2013, 12:47 am
Just hope the seats and bar are roomy enough......Damn you XFlight :twisted:
Viper 88

Postby coastercrazy on September 8th, 2013, 5:46 pm
Does anyone have the track layout overlayed on a park map/ google earth picture?
coastercrazy
Has A Tasty Cookie

Postby kossdude1 on September 9th, 2013, 7:09 am
The next step to the site is probably leveling. Gary Pohlman said he's imagining stone on the bottom of the site. After that they'd either start station expansion or concrete "footers". My guess is they'll work on just structure to start out, then end with track. No matter what they do, I don't think Necropolis will be that effected during Fright Fest. They're probably going to run the train during FF as well (just not Dead Line)
kossdude1

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 9th, 2013, 5:20 pm
Will anybody be at the meeting tonight?
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 9th, 2013, 5:29 pm
^ Yes. Although I doubt there will be anything interesting. Well, besides people complaining about living next to an amusement park :lol:
DejaVu2001

Postby Road Rash on September 9th, 2013, 6:00 pm
^ I appreciate all the updates you and some of the others members provide around here, DejaVu2001. 8)
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
Road Rash

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 9th, 2013, 9:22 pm
Just got back from the meeting. The variance was approved unanimously. :D And surprisingly only two residents commented.
DejaVu2001

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on September 9th, 2013, 9:34 pm
I don't know why the locals even bother going to these board meetings to complain, the board will always approve virtually anything Great America wants, lol. Tax revenue > Neighbors complaints about loud noise.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby Chitown on September 9th, 2013, 10:44 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:Just got back from the meeting. The variance was approved unanimously. :D And surprisingly only two residents commented.

At least it saved them time from a barrage of complainers.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby Chitown on September 9th, 2013, 10:48 pm
It's the old saying that comes down to this with the Village of Gurnee regarding SFGAm and Gurnee Mills: DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!!!!!
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby Millennium310 on September 9th, 2013, 10:52 pm
^ EXACTLY! Why do these people complain when it's one of the main things driving the economy in their village?
Millennium310

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum