Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 6:01 pm
PfightingPolish wrote:
Goliath72165 wrote:I hope so. If not this ride will get a lot of wear and tear. It will be more rickety because of how fast the train will be going.

As an aside, I actually kind of enjoyed The Boss when we were in St. Louis.

The Boss happens to be my third favorite wooden roller coaster (1. El Toro 2. American Eagle). That ride has a top speed of 66mph (Same as AE) and I agree with you. The faster the wooden ride, the rougher it seems. As a side note, I have been hearing many rumors that the Boss will get an Iron Horse treatment in 2015.
CoasterMike

Postby Goliath72165 on August 29th, 2013, 6:06 pm
CoasterMike wrote:
PfightingPolish wrote:
Goliath72165 wrote:I hope so. If not this ride will get a lot of wear and tear. It will be more rickety because of how fast the train will be going.

As an aside, I actually kind of enjoyed The Boss when we were in St. Louis.

The Boss happens to be my third favorite wooden roller coaster (1. El Toro 2. American Eagle). That ride has a top speed of 66mph (Same as AE) and I agree with you. The faster the wooden ride, the rougher it seems. As a side note, I have been hearing many rumors that the Boss will get an Iron Horse treatment in 2015.

Goliath is going to have a top speed of 72mph. At that speed, I almost think that the ricketiness would almost be unbearable/uncomfortable and unsafe. I'm sure however that this ride will be smooth. With that being said I will stop talking about it being rough.
Goliath72165

Postby Goliath72165 on August 29th, 2013, 6:10 pm
I think that airtime hill will provide extreme ejector airtime like El Toro (Again the BEST roller coaster in the world as of now).
Goliath72165

Postby PfightingPolish on August 29th, 2013, 6:15 pm
CoasterMike wrote:The Boss happens to be my third favorite wooden roller coaster (1. El Toro 2. American Eagle). That ride has a top speed of 66mph (Same as AE) and I agree with you. The faster the wooden ride, the rougher it seems. As a side note, I have been hearing many rumors that the Boss will get an Iron Horse treatment in 2015.

The Boss was kind of a "right idea, wrong time" sort of thing. This current generation of wood coasters is something else, but The Boss was kind of the last attempt at something big and wood using a lot of the now-outmoded construction techniques. Build it now and I bet it's amazing. Also, build it now and it's not CCI doing the work, which probably also makes a difference. I sense their work was inconsistent at best.

While I enjoyed it (and we were in the back row), Pam didn't, saying she got knocked around too much. Personally, I think we've experienced worse on Eagle, but I can see how folks aren't fans.

Now, an Iron Boss? The ride itself has a ton of potential. Needs a different name, though. Reminds me too much of some previous workplaces.

Goliath72165 wrote:Goliath is going to have a top speed of 72mph. At that speed, I almost think that the ricketiness would almost be unbearable/uncomfortable and unsafe. I'm sure however that this ride will be smooth. With that being said I will stop talking about it being rough.

The ride will be smooth. It hasn't been confirmed, but just looking at the sim and the way some of the boards are cut on there, I'm anticipating this will use prefab techniques. Some say El Toro doesn't even feel like a wood coaster — never ridden myself, but it seems like RMC has mastered taking a lot of the ricketyness (is that a word?) out of wood.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby rizash on August 29th, 2013, 6:20 pm
Can I just say one thing.... HOLY CRAP!

This is like a DREAM layout for me. First you get the UBER first drop... then you get the insane overbanked turn, an EPIC airtime hill, then you do a 1/2 barrel roll into a dive loop.... The arc of the track seems to continue at a constant bend from the moment you enter the dive loop until you crest the top of an airtime hill.... For those that have not yet realized this, this will be a LONGER constant positive G force than any coaster out there, period. YOLO coaster is a round loop, and it looks like you almost fall out at the top. This is constant G like a clothoid loop but it is in a TRUE round loop because it starts as a dive loop, and continues to about 270 degrees.... No coaster in the world has a clean positive G moment like this that I am aware of. As insane as that exchange already was... you then promptly twist into the zero g roll/inverted airtime hill. You go from an EPIC long positive G to a twist and near zero g... This looks like a seamless glass smooth transition from LONG positive G to ultra low G to positive G to ultra low G. This looks absolutely perfect to me. Trust me this looks MUCH stranger than it will feel. Then you twist right back down and then back up a hill to the zero G stall. The zero g stall is the very weird overbanked turn, high bank straight track, then overbanked turn weirdness (the lower, later part) it looks strange, but this will feel really weird. Then a final pop of airtime and you're done. This looks INSANE.
rizash

Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 6:22 pm
Goliath72165 wrote:I think that airtime hill will provide extreme ejector airtime like El Toro (Again the BEST roller coaster in the world as of now).

I think so to. NO other ride in the world has as much extreme ejector airtime as El Toro! That is why it is number one in mine and your opinion.
CoasterMike

Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 6:25 pm
rizash wrote:Can I just say one thing.... HOLY CRAP!

This is like a DREAM layout for me. First you get the UBER first drop... then you get the insane overbanked turn, an EPIC airtime hill, then you do a 1/2 barrel roll into a dive loop.... The arc of the track seems to continue at a constant bend from the moment you enter the dive loop until you crest the top of an airtime hill.... For those that have not yet realized this, this will be a LONGER constant positive G force than any coaster out there, period. YOLO coaster is a round loop, and it looks like you almost fall out at the top. This is constant G like a clothoid loop but it is in a TRUE round loop because it starts as a dive loop, and continues to about 270 degrees.... No coaster in the world has a clean positive G moment like this that I am aware of. As insane as that exchange already was... you then promptly twist into the zero g roll/inverted airtime hill. You go from an EPIC long positive G to a twist and near zero g... This looks like a seamless glass smooth transition from LONG positive G to ultra low G to positive G to ultra low G. This looks absolutely perfect to me. Trust me this looks MUCH stranger than it will feel. Then you twist right back down and then back up a hill to the zero G stall. The zero g stall is the very weird overbanked turn, high bank straight track, then overbanked turn weirdness (the lower, later part) it looks strange, but this will feel really weird. Then a final pop of airtime and you're done. This looks INSANE.

I completely agree with you. I think I will like this ride more than El Toro. I have not ridden Outlaw Run so I won't be able to say if Goliath will be better than Outlaw Run. This ride may be short however, it will be EXTREME!
CoasterMike

Postby Goliath72165 on August 29th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Everything about Goliath in my opinion is perfect. You got that intense almost 90degree first drop, breath-taking speeds of 72mph, some extreme ejector airtime, a dive loop, and the most EXTREME element on any roller coaster in the world, the negative/zero-g stall :shock: . That all combined with a top hat and some steep overbanked turns, this is definitely going to become the number one wooden roller coaster in the whole world and will definitely be WAY BETTER than El Toro. What more could you ask for about this coaster? It's 100% perfect. :D
Goliath72165

Postby Powerdive on August 29th, 2013, 6:42 pm
BBH wrote:
It's a shame there's only one airtime hill but it looks like some killer ejector.

It's to bad they couldn't squeeze one last airtime hill at the end. Instead of going up and down into that long downward brake run, it could've gone up and right back down for some airtime at the finish and then into a more horizontal brake run. oh well
Powerdive

Postby UWW-10 on August 29th, 2013, 6:49 pm
Yet another solid addition for a park that well deserves it! I'm glad this will bring a new face lift to the back part of the park. Even with the last few years of IW operating, that back portion of County Fair really didn't offer a whole lot.

It doesn't surprise me that they turned around with another coaster this quickly when they saw the success of X-Flight....Goliath will definitely bring the crowds through the gates once again!

I also wouldn't count on this being open with the park if the ads are saying 'summer 2014'.....which I'm hoping that there aren't many delays with this as they venture into construction season. Assuming the train doesn't operate for FF, they will probably be doing a lot of work (at least with the part south of the service road) to get ready as that particular area really doesn't affect the flow of guest traffic.

I'm also going to guess seat belts and lap bars after the NTG incident? It seems logical enough to me.
UWW-10

Postby Johnny.Ink on August 29th, 2013, 7:20 pm
As someone who has ridden Outlaw Run a ton I can assure you RMC rides are short, but intense. Not one wasted moment on "filler" or anything less then thrilling.

The back on Outlaw Run is killer and the ride is smooth as glass.

Also, dor those who haven't ridden it, you will have shin guards locking you down. This will be no different I'm sure. I have heard those that are tall (6'3 or so) or have long legs may be with some discomfort though.

This looks awesome and will be a good time for sure... Imagine this at night :)
Johnny.Ink

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 29th, 2013, 7:21 pm
This is just truly amazing and I can not wait for media day! The only thing that would.make this better is if Miley Cyrus is there twerking when it opens!
:lol:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
B&MGuy35

Postby Millennium310 on August 29th, 2013, 7:31 pm
I think Goliath is awesome! It will be the better than Outlaw Run without a doubt, but I just wish it was a little bit longer because the ending seems a little too much like this to me: http://funnypoon.blogspot.com/2013/03/t ... cycle.html
Millennium310

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 29th, 2013, 7:31 pm
UWW-10 wrote:Assuming the train doesn't operate for FF, they will probably be doing a lot of work (at least with the part south of the service road) to get ready as that particular area really doesn't affect the flow of guest traffic.

As surprising as it seems, the current plan is for Railroad to operate for the entire season. A couple visits ago, I went on Sky Trek Tower and one of the Team Members was asking what would happen when Tower closes for Fright Fest, and the Supervisor said they'd be getting trained for Railroad. Not sure if it will be themed at all though. Running it shouldn't be an issue, I assume that Railroad would only run Saturday and Sunday (closed Thursdays, Fridays, and Columbus Day) which would still give the construction crew the usual Monday-Friday work schedule.
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 7:36 pm
RollerCoasterRyan wrote:
Goliath72165 wrote:Everything about Goliath in my opinion is perfect. You got that intense almost 90degree first drop, breath-taking speeds of 72mph, some extreme ejector airtime, a dive loop, and the most EXTREME element on any roller coaster in the world, the negative/zero-g stall :shock: . That all combined with a top hat and some steep overbanked turns, this is definitely going to become the number one wooden roller coaster in the whole world and will definitely be WAY BETTER than El Toro. What more could you ask for about this coaster? It's 100% perfect. :D

I 100% agree with you on that. Goliath WILL be the most INTENSE wooden roller coaster in the world when it opens next year! That first drop will probably be the BEST drop on any roller coaster in the world. It will be like jumping off a cliff and because you will not have a harness, it will feel like you are flying, and you are going to hit/run straight into the ground :shock:

I agree with you two! Goliath will be a GIANT success!
CoasterMike

Postby Goliath72165 on August 29th, 2013, 7:41 pm
Goliath will probably be the most popular ride at the park in the years to come. It will undeniably be a GIANT success! There is no other roller coaster that does what this ride will do.
Goliath72165

Postby BroServant7 on August 29th, 2013, 7:49 pm
Goliath72165 wrote:Goliath is going to have a top speed of 72mph. At that speed, I almost think that the ricketiness would almost be unbearable/uncomfortable and unsafe. I'm sure however that this ride will be smooth. With that being said I will stop talking about it being rough.

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised
BroServant7

Postby 2014Goliath on August 29th, 2013, 7:55 pm
Goliath will most likely be the BEST roller coaster/ride Six Flags Great America has ever built in it's 37 year history! I haven't even ridden the ride yet however, I can already tell you that I absolutely LOVE this ride! Words cannot descried how AWESOME and INTENSE this ride is going to be. I agree with everyone who thinks/believes Goliath will become the number one wooden roller coaster in the world! This ride is going to be FANTASTIC, nothing less! :D
2014Goliath

Postby 2014Goliath on August 29th, 2013, 7:58 pm
BroServant7 wrote:

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised

Hank Salemi (SFGAm's park president) assured everyone at the announcement today that Goliath will be a very smooth and INTENSE ride. No need to worry about it being rough. Plus all Rocky Mountain Construction roller coasters are smooth.
2014Goliath

Postby 2014Goliath on August 29th, 2013, 8:10 pm
Because Goliath will be designed/manufactured by Rocky Mountain Construction, I wanted to let you guys know that I have ridden all three (Going to go to Six Flags Mexico in 2014 because their Medusa is receiving an Iron Horse treatment) RMC roller coasters and I honestly have to tell you that Goliath will probably be the BEST out of all the RMC coasters! :D The one and only reason why I think its the best is not just because of the three world records its going to break, but because of the most unique element on a roller coaster which is the one and only zero-g stall.

(I'm truly sorry if this post did not make any sense :oops:)
2014Goliath

Postby Goliath72165 on August 29th, 2013, 8:13 pm
2014Goliath wrote:Because Goliath will be designed/manufactured by Rocky Mountain Construction, I wanted to let you guys know that I have ridden all three (Going to go to Six Flags Mexico in 2014 because their Medusa is receiving an Iron Horse treatment) RMC roller coasters and I honestly have to tell you that Goliath will probably be the BEST out of all the RMC coasters! :D The one and only reason why I think its the best is not just because of the three world records its going to break, but because of the most unique element on a roller coaster which is the one and only zero-g stall.

(I'm truly sorry if this post did not make any sense :oops:)

I myself have not gotten a chance to ride any of the RMC roller coasters, however I have ridden El Toro and Goliath looks better and more unique.
Goliath72165

Postby JimPanky on August 29th, 2013, 8:17 pm
An RMC design with topper track and polyeurethane wheels; it will be smooth.
JimPanky

Postby Goliath72165 on August 29th, 2013, 8:21 pm
JimPanky wrote:An RMC design with topper track and polyeurethane wheels; it will be smooth.

Hank Salemi also mentioned that the polyurethane wheels will also provide a quiet ride (except for screaming riders).
Goliath72165

Postby PfightingPolish on August 29th, 2013, 8:23 pm
Millennium310 wrote:http://funnypoon.blogspot.com/2013/03/tree-fell-down-after-hitting-bicycle.html

I'm saving this picture in my file for future use. This reminds me of some of the days when I do the 10-mile bike-to-work thing.

/Threw a flat Tuesday
//Not fun
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby CoasterMike on August 29th, 2013, 8:24 pm
JimPanky wrote:This is SFGAm's first RMC right?

Yes it is. We are so lucky to be receiving this new state of the art roller coaster next year!
CoasterMike

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum