Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Trip Report - 7/27/03 [LONG]

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby CoasterDave316 on July 28th, 2003, 6:09 pm
Alright heres the day of fun, joy, excitement and hell....not to mention shopping and eating.Day starts out in the very early mornings with me waking up at 5:15...dammit set my alarm wrong. Day restarts at 7:15 and im out of the door around 8:15. Stop to get gas before getting on the highway, and ended up getting a really slow pump. It took like one minute for every dollars worth the car needed. 16.30 minutes later we were on the rode to Six Flags.Got to the park at around 9:30 maybe a little earlier. The parking lot looked full already, but it always does now thanks to the preferred parking. Got front row...of non preferred parking, and off we went on our quest to ride Deja Vu for the first time this year.Got in the gates fairly slow, thanks to my lines person typing in half the ticket numbers. My belt didn't go off in the metal detector which is a rare occurance this year. Then off we went to the chain to run for Deja Vu. Not many people over by the chain until around 9:45 so we had no problem getting up front to make the run.Chain dropped at 10 and me and my brother booked. I had my heart in this run, to get to Deja Vu my favorite ride in the whole dam world lol. Nobody was going to get thier before me...not even my brother. Ive only lost this run once so I had to win it for my ego lol. I wasn't even past Whizzer and everyone was already a few 100 ft. behind me, then when we got by Orbit I turned around and ran backwards wondering where everyone was at. They all headed to Raging Bull! Leaving just me and my brother to walk the rest of the way to Deja Vu....to easy :).Of course the ride wasn't opened yet right when we got there. We sort of figured it wouldn't open until around noon. But we were going to wait it out no matter how long it took, because when it opens you never know how long it will run. We were waiting there for about 5 minutes when finally some more people start coming over and getting in line...and the usual "Do you know when it's going to open" questions for the ride op. One girl even said "I paid $50 for admission and this can't even open on time". I wanted to make some smart ass comment but decided against it, but she doesn't know how lucky she is to pay $50 to come on a day when it might open. If she would have came a week earlier it wouldn't have opened at all.At around 11:15 the ride finally opened! YAY! Number 53 for me and better than ever. Row 1A, right side. Just before boarding my brother says "Watch how many idiots pull down the green harnesses right after they say not too". I laughed. The gates opened and I sat down, buckled my orange seatbelt and then of course go to pull down my green harness right away. Doh, im an idiot. The ride op and my brother both stopped me from pulling it down, I thought it was pretty funny.Onto the ride, going up the tower again was a great experience. Way different and way less secure than Superman feels. This is what I love about this ride. At the top we heard the catch car release, but the train didn't go. Odd...then it finally went. Down the drop we go once again, the speed was awesome! Felt so much faster, not sure if they did something to it or just that I haven't rode it in awhile. Through the Boomerang we went, nearly as smooth as Batman. Through the loop with some nice speed and then up the second tower. YAY! We caught the catch car. Backwards through the loop we went with the awesome G's..then into the cobra roll which again felt a little faster than normal. Up the tower and to the stoping catch. WOOHOO! My rides back and better than ever :).Got off with a big smile on my face and then headed to Raging Bull. Bull's line was already out of the queue with none of the switchbacks open. It was nearly noon though so this is normal. Go on the ride within a half hour, maybe a little more than 15 minutes. Going around the first turn we saw Vipers line had one switchback open and was nearly to the end of the queue. Yikes, going to be a crowded day.Next we got a quick ride on Giant Drop since it had a pretty short line. Its alot more thrilling when you haven't rode it in a few weeks.We decided we were going to head to Eagle Red next, but noticed Deja Vu was still down (I noticed this while in line for Raging Bull and on the lift). So I figured it was going to reopen soon so we decided to wait it out again. Two minutes later it opened up and we go in line again. Crew was moving pretty fast and the wait was only about 20-30 minutes from where we were in the line. Got my 54th ride and my first inside seat ride (besides 1A). Thats a very different experience sitting so close to the seat in front of you. I like Row B alot better though!Went to Eagle Red next, and had a awesome ride. Both sides of Eagle were running really good today. After that we decided it was time for lunch and to go shopping for some more shorts for our California Trip next week.Went to McDonalds in Gurnee Mills for lunch, then we figured we would check out JC Penny's for some shorts. They didn't have any! All pants. I couldn't believe this being summer and all. I got some pants that zip off into shorts instead...these will have to do. And back to the park we went.I just got my new digital camcorder and the lines were really, really, REALLY BAD! Spacley's had a full line...thats how full it was! We had to park about 4 rows back in the overflow parking lot. So we had a really nice and long walk back to the park. Walked around for about an hour just taking Video and using my new camcorder. You will probably see some of the footage I took in videos very soon on the site.While walking around the park, we happened to walk past the Southwest Amplitheatre while Espana Extreme was going on. Started watching from where people were standing and watching. Amazed, we walked in and took a seat.WOW, I have always said I wanted the Stunt Show back. But this show was pretty dam good. Im not one for circus's but these people were doing more daring stunts then any of the stunt shows have done. GO SEE THIS SHOW!! I highly recomend it. Im not going to ruin the stunts, but heres some that the show features: A girl dangling by 2 ropes about 50 feet in the air with no safety devices at all, a swinging platform that launches people really really high, and one of those domes that the motorcycles ride around in circles in. Within inches from each other. Go see the show!After we walked around the park I decided to Walk my camera back to the car, even though it could have fit in my pocket. I didn't want to chance breaking it my first time using it. When we came back we waited in Aunt Martha's Chicken Dinner Restaurant and enjoyed the air condition until Cold Fusion was schedule to start. I have heard good things about this show and decided since the lines were unbareable that today was the perfect time to see it.Got a seat right next to the ice on the side, and thought it was a alright show. Im not one for watching people pranch around on Ice skates. Ive never been a big Ice skating fan, and they didn't really do that many tricks. More dancing then tricks. The women were nice though, the only thing that made this show worth seeing :). If your a guy, thats the only thing you might want to see this show for. Unless of course you like Ice Skating or dancing routines.Got out of there and noticed that both Vu's catch cars were on the tower. Oh how nice I said, Vu is broken down. Then I thought a little harder and wondered if the catch cars are there, then wheres the train. I looked in the station and noticed it wasn't there, so I got a little worried. I thought the worst (it being in between the loop and the boomerang). But thankfully it was only in between the second tower and the loop, and empty too I might add. I watched them work on it for about 20 minutes. Most the work seemed to focus on the first catch car. I found out later that this was the test run after the first mis-catch with people in the same spot. Looks like Superman will have to be my last ride for tonight.Headed over to Eagle Blue and got a awesome ride on that, with the shortest wait of the day. Then got on Iron Wolf right after that with a fairly short 15 minute line. Both were running good..nothing bad to say about either. We are going to take a little time to interupt this Trip Report with a special message: "This has been a long TR..so I bet some people will just post "Good TR" and not read it lol. So lets see who doesn't read it..if you are going to post a reply to this TR please put two periods before your response lol. Lets see who makes a fool of themselves :)" Back to your regularly sceduled TR.V2 and Batman still had packed lines so we walked around a little until we found out the Six Flags show was about to start. I can't remember the last time I saw the show right before the nightly parade, so I figured. Since the lines suck lets check it out. My brother agreed. The shows pretty lame and meant for smaller kids lol. Which explains why I haven't seen it in awhile. Daffy had some good moves though lol...I think he did the sprinkler, and the move where you grab your knee and jump around in a circle. It was enough to put a smerk on my face.We then wanted to head over to Superman, but got trapped by the parade. So we had to follow it over to Superman. If you are ever following the parade, be prepared to hear some explosions. Every once in awhile the final float would blow off a explosion with streamers, which helped make little kids cry and scare the crap out of everyone else. Not the greatest idea if you ask me lol.We finally made it over to Superman and got in line, had a pretty good ride on it. But nothing to write home about. So with that ended the really crowded and nearly rideless day at Six Flags.After a mile hike back to the car I was out of there. :)
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Do I Know You on July 28th, 2003, 6:39 pm
..:wink:Great TR. I'm surprised I didn't see you. We seemed to be in nearly the same places most of the time o_O
this is a signature
Do I Know You

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on July 28th, 2003, 7:42 pm
..lol. Sounds like you had a nice time. Now I'm even more excited to ride Deja Vu again...
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby SfGaMownz on July 28th, 2003, 7:50 pm
.. 8).Great day Dave. I want the Batman Stunt Show back too, that show owned. Deja better be working when I go tommorow or else I will be very mad :twisted:.
SfGaMownz

Postby Mr. SFGAm on July 28th, 2003, 8:14 pm
.. Sounds like you had good time seeing the shows and just walking around, picking up a ride or two here and there. I hope they get some of the tweaking done on Deja Vu before I go in two weeks. :D
Finally Coaster Season!!
Mr. SFGAm

Postby goldmember on July 28th, 2003, 8:40 pm
I heard your brother say that. I was with coasterguy and i was in row 1B. There were alot of people that pulled down their harnesses right away too.
My Top 5: 1)TTD, 2)Millennium Force, 3)Raptor, 4)Deja Vu, 5)Raging Bull
goldmember

Postby CoasterDave316 on July 28th, 2003, 8:47 pm
Yeah the Batman show was great, but im telling you this new show is pretty good. Check it out lol.And so far we have 1 fool ;)
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby T_Biggs on July 28th, 2003, 8:57 pm
Good TR. Why is everyone putting "..?" Because they are your tools? :-p
T_Biggs

Postby Do I Know You on July 28th, 2003, 10:07 pm
Maybe we have two now, Dave. :)
this is a signature
Do I Know You

Postby goldmember on July 29th, 2003, 7:39 am
..I am not a fool anymore.
My Top 5: 1)TTD, 2)Millennium Force, 3)Raptor, 4)Deja Vu, 5)Raging Bull
goldmember

Postby T_Biggs on July 29th, 2003, 9:19 am
Which is better? Fool or tool?
T_Biggs

Postby SearchforRB12 on August 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
..viper had a switchback :shock: this is a hisorical moment :wink:
face the face of DA RAGING BULLcan ya handle it?NORide it at SFGAm!
SearchforRB12

Return to Trip Reports