Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm, 06/27, a few hours of fun.

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Chitown on June 28th, 2003, 11:49 am
Going to make this TR short and sweet.Picked up my daughter from her babysitter at 6:00. Got to the park at 6:30.Park was moderately crowded. Took a first spin on Demon with a 5 minute wait.Next was Eagle red forward. For some reason I just love this coaster. Been riding it since it opened and never get sick of it. I took some pics of the 3rd shiny Blue train and hopefully Dave from SFGAmworld gets them put up. If not, oh well.My daughter loves Giant Drop, so we took one plunge on this. Free falling is a cool sensation.Made the dash over to Viper which turned out to be a 25 minute wait due to the mad chaos in the station house. I absolutely love this ride but the station situation just flat out sucks.Got off Viper and hit RB. 3 train operation was in full swing so we got on in about 15 minutes. Great night ride. The park was now officially closed.Here is where I got really aggravated. It took us 45 minutes to get out of the parking lot. I mean come on!!!! The traffic light at Grand Ave. wasnt staying green long enough for people to exit and the fact that the Washington St. access road is no longer used really added to this mess.They need to at least have the Washington st. used for an exit at the end of the day. I used to love leaving out that way. Most people didnt use it.Oh well, besides that, we had a great 2.5 hours of fun.Thanks for reading.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby CoasterDave316 on June 28th, 2003, 12:03 pm
Good TR Chitown.Heres a tip for the traffic light on Grand Ave. When its backuped, get over to the right lane and make a right onto Grand Ave. Then get to the left lane on Grand Ave, and make a left turn on the first block you see. Right when you turn you will see a church's parking lot, which is a perfect turnaround. Turnaround there, then make the right on Grand Ave. and your headed on your way towards Gurnee Mills within about 3 minutes. Whenever its backed up I use this way of getting out, because usually the right lane is empty coming out of Great America.Also BTW, I put those pics up you sent me. They are in the Eagle's 3rd Train Topic.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on June 28th, 2003, 12:05 pm
Glad you had a good time. I used to use the Washington entrace all the time. Anyway I had this idea for a while and Im gonna tell you it. I bet other people had this idea too but here it goes. They should build a coaster in the bus lot and make one of the drops go through eagle. Since the dont use the Washington entrance they can put a drop right where the road goes under eagle. Kinda like what they did with the Steel Phantom (now Phantoms Revenge). I think it can be done.
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby whiteygabe1998 on June 28th, 2003, 12:41 pm
yea we can call it shockwaves revenge lol
whiteygabe1998

Postby Aero737 on June 28th, 2003, 6:16 pm
I too hate the madness in the Viper's station. I dread getting in there and waiting 45 min in a hot crampt station. Its one of the reasons I dont like riding that ride. People just keep on smashing in there... :evil:
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby CoasterDave316 on June 28th, 2003, 6:47 pm
In Vipers station, go and smash in over at 1:3, usually you only have to wait about 5 trains. Since the rails for front row prevent people from making a line there. All you have to do is squeeze into that corner behind the rail.
Go Bulls!
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby T_Biggs on June 28th, 2003, 7:16 pm
Dave, don't give away that tip, now everyone will do that!
T_Biggs

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on June 28th, 2003, 10:46 pm
Not everyone, Travis... I'm sticking with the back row, lol.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on June 28th, 2003, 10:49 pm
Back row for me 8)
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby SFGA 11 on June 28th, 2003, 10:54 pm
Yep, me too. I usually go for the back or :arrow: second to back. I tried 1:3 once but I didn't like it as much as the back... Oh, well.
SFGA 11

Postby Aero737 on June 29th, 2003, 4:13 pm
I dont like the front. It seems like you get a pop of airtime and then the lag kicks in and you get thrown forewards (painfull last time I rode 1:3). in my opinion, back is better, and thats where I will always ride.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby CoasterDave316 on June 29th, 2003, 5:11 pm
I always used to ride back thinking it was the best. Then I moved up to 1:3 and 2:1, at first it felt odd. Since you don't really get airtime on the double down and the first drop, turn, and drop after first turn feel very slow. But then I realized how much airtime I got everywhere else in the ride. The hill after the double down throws you out of your seat, the two hills in the middle of the ride throw you out of your seat. And the biggest airtime hill on the ride is the last ride, it really ejects you out of your seat. Don't give 1:3 just one shot, ride it a few times and you will realize how much better it is then the back. You just get airtime in different parts of the ride, not the parts you are expecting it in while riding back.
Go Bulls!
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Chitown on June 29th, 2003, 9:49 pm
Not only do you get great airtime in seats 1:3 and 2:1, you also get killer laterals in the turnarounds. Thats something the back doesnt have much of.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Return to Trip Reports