Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAM 5.20.03

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby chiatrain on May 20th, 2003, 9:55 pm
Left for SFGAm at 7 am, putting in some gas in the tank before hitting the highways. I normally wouldn't leave this early, but I know how crazy travel times can be from the Suburbs to the park. Finally, what normally is an hour drive took about an hour and 45 minutes. Got to the park at 8:45 am but there were no cars waiting. So, I took a detour to McDonald's for a bathroom break.

Then, got back to the park at 9am and the gates weren't open(Somehow, I thought the gates to the parking lot always opened at 9am). Finally, the gates open up 20 minutes later, and walking to the Park gates, listen to the playing of the National Anthem, it's time to enter. I took it light today, because I had to be somewhere by7 pm. Today being one of my first solo trips to the park, I took it light because I had to drive through that crazy trip on the way back.

The following will just be a list of rides and a few comments:American Eagle: Blue (3 rides)Got in three rides today. My final ride was at about 2 pm, and Red had not opened yet(and don't think it opened all day). One note: I felt spit coming from the back and some of it hit the back of my head..not cool.Demon: (5 rides, including 2 rides in a row)As usual, there was little to no wait for this ride. It might not be the best ride in the park, but it's still a fun coaster.Whizzer: (4 rides)I haven't been on Whizzer for awhile, and thought I should take a few rides while the lines are short. It doesn't pack in the punches when it did while I was a child, but it's still a great addition to SFGAm.Sky Trek Tower: (2 rides)I needed a break from all the riding and took the opportunity to take a scenic view.

A few notes: It was some Physics Day at the park and a group of kids thought the blue tracks were for a new ride, not noticing it was Shockwave. Also, I spotted my car and noticed that the parking lot filled up to about 4-5 rows with a line of buses.Fiddler's Fling: (1 ride)What craziness. This is a 2-person ride, because with one person it's pure madness. Plus, it's fun trying to squish the other person, too.Scenic Railway: (1 Round Trip)Strangely, the Railway was only operating Round Trip rides from County Fair, passing through Hometown Square.Chubasco: (1 ride)I don't know if I didn't have the strength today or what(better with more people) but I couldn't get the teacup to spin that easily.Viper: (11 rides, including 3 rides in a row and 5 rides in a row)I haven't ridden Viper for awhile either, and boy, did I miss it. This is one of my favorites in the park, and it gives a great ride no matter how many times you ride it.

It was strange to see an entirely empty station, so I took the advantage of getting plenty of rides on it today.Quick side-notes: This is my second visit to the park this season, and my second time seeing a Marching Band. Apparenly, today was Physics Day as it seemed that half the crowd were students and the other half General Public. There was no crowd problem, as many students were frantically taking measurements and solving problems.

So far, I haven't spent a single penny at the park, minus my Parking Pass fee. I got in 28 rides in just under 6 hours, which doesn't seem to bad. All those rides on Viper gave me quite a rush. Many of the flat rides were closed today. SFGAm was forecasting 60% chance of rain, but it turned out to be a beautiful, sunny day. Don't you hate it when 60% chance of rain turns out to be a sunny day while 20% chance of rain turns out to be a terrential downpour? Iron Wolf seemed to have some problems, and Giant Drop had some cars at the top all day(no riders stuck).

Deja Vu still has no train. Superman's queue house looked finished, and the 'S' logo seems to be getting dirty already. I did notice the 'no chewing gum/candy' signs on all the rides, which seemed to be a white strip stuck onto the original signs. But, I saw a girl who was chewing gum on Whizzer and told her mom that she chews gum all the time. All in all, the staff was fine and it was a great day to be at the park.
Last edited by chiatrain on May 26th, 2005, 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chiatrain

Postby Bman231 on May 20th, 2003, 10:10 pm
No Bull, V2, or S:UF on an empty day?
Bman231

Postby chiatrain on May 20th, 2003, 10:15 pm
Since the crowd skewed younger, those were some of the most popular rides on the day. Plus, while I was thinking about heading for Raging Bull, I decided to take all those rides on Viper. I've been on S:UF during the day and I'm still waiting for my first 'night flight.' Since the park closes at 7 pm this Friday, it may still not be dark enough to take that flight. But, I'll be sure to get in a ride at opening. I guess I was trying to hit some of the "classics" today, and hit the big rides this coming Friday when I'll be with a group of people.
chiatrain

Postby coasterguy on May 21st, 2003, 6:57 am
I have been on it once in the night and it is awesome too
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby FamilyGuy on May 21st, 2003, 11:53 am
Hi everyone - long time lurker, first time poster here. I am surprised you didn't ride S:UF. I arrived at the park with my wife and son @ 10:10AM, was in line for S:UF by 10:20 and was riding by 10:55. It was my first ride on a Flyer of any sort. How awesome it was!! :D The wait was much longer as we were exiting the ride and also later in the day when I had passed by. Everything else wasn't too bad at all. 25 min wait for V2 and no virtually no wait for others as you had mentioned in your TR earlier. I imagine both the forcasted weather (which did not turn out as anticipated, but instead much better) and the fact that it is early in the season contributed to the short lines on all the rides.
FamilyGuy

Postby coasterguy on May 21st, 2003, 1:27 pm
So everything was open but Deja Vu.
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Postby chiatrain on May 21st, 2003, 3:04 pm
I've ridden S:UF before, so I took the advantage of riding the other coasters. Deja Vu was the only coaster that wasn't open all day, but there were numerous flat rides that weren't open, too.
chiatrain

Postby coasterzak on May 24th, 2003, 11:25 am
I honestly am almost just as excited to get a ride on DV as I am one on S:UF. When this ride finally opens its going to be great! Remind you, I haven't been on either.
coasterzak

Return to Trip Reports