Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm Best Day yet for me 5/18/2003

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby CoasterDave316 on May 20th, 2003, 8:07 pm
Well I have been very busy this week at work, so this Trip Report is a little late but here it is:Six Flags Great America - May 18th 2003Well after 2 unsuccesful visits one being on Opening Day when it was not only crowded but V2 and Raging Bull were closed all day and the other being Mothers Day with just Batman open all day. I was finally ready to have my usual good Sunday at the park and I finally did.Got to the park just before the National Anthem played, once inside the park I got stopped at the metal detector for my belt (no matter which belt I wear the thing goes off...odd thing is later in the day it didn't go off for the belt hmmm). Walked over to Superman and was surprised there wasn't much of a line waiting, I was wondering where everyone I saw running went lol. Turns out the employee accidently left the chain open so the people who got there quick got up to the station and had to wait there. Still got on the first train though.Got seat 5 I think, was still sort of tired since I didn't fall asleep until 3 the night before but off we went on my 43rd flight on Superman. It could have been that I was tired or it could have been because the ride was Superslow and Superboring but this ride really supersucked. Out of all my rides this one was the worst, hell even Spacleys might have been more exciting than this one. After getting off the train I had nothing but bad things to say about the ride, and heard other people saying bad stuff about the ride also. "That was it", "That sucked" that type of stuff. So I couldn't help but think, "Holy crap that Tribune writer was right." Not a good start to the day at all.Went over too Batman, it was stopped on the lift broke down with nobody on it. Oh great not again I said. Im not a big fan of V2 which had about a 20 minute line so I skipped it and went to Iron Wolf. Iron Wolf was going to be closed until 10:30 which is a half hour than it opened most days last year.Finally I got to Eagle Blue and it was open and was walk on. Sat in the back car/first car to leave the station. Had a pretty good ride on it with nice airtime on the first two hills since my lap bar was pretty loose. Then onto the nice smooth helix...until we left the newly retracked section, then it felt bumpier than hell sort of as if it didn't track right from the new portion of the helix to the old. Odd, continued on and had a hard trim before the final helix. For a pretty bad ride on Eagle. The day wasn't going so great yet so we decided to get on our second ride on Raging Bull for the season due to bad luck with it our first 2 visits.Yay, finally something to snap the bad streak we had going. My Bull ride on opening day was fantastic and this was about the same. I wanted to kiss the lap bar after my ride, but it was dirty so I wasn't going to lol....but the love was there. Went on it again right afterwards for another awesome ride.Then went to Giant Drop...Up....Down and ride over. Me and my brother were talking on our way up and just continued the conversation while dropping 200ft. like nothing was going on. Not as thrilling as it used to be but we were still happy about our Raging Bull rides and then headed to Viper.Viper, I don't know who the mechanics are for this ride or what they are doing but on May 3rd I was sitting in Row 2.1 when my lap bar went up all of a sudden 2 click in mid-ride. Now I usually try to ride with a little room between me and the lap bar in the first place, so 2 clicks was almost up all the way and I didn't notice it until the last hill when I almost got ejected but thankfully caught myself with my knees on the black handle things in front. Don't think im stupid and allowing to much room for airtime either. I allow maybe 3 or 4 inches usually, the lap bar poped up. So me and my brother were joking around about that while in line since he was sitting next to me when it happened. This time we rode row 1.3, and this time around on the first turn my brother's lap bar went up 2 clicks. He noticed it unlike I did and got to enjoy some great airtime with his feet hooked under the seat in front of him. But im really hoping whoever works on those restraints doesn't work on Supermans!After a great ride on Viper we walked to Demon, and as always it had a nice airtime filled first drop and some semi-intense loops. Fun ride, we were finally have a pretty good day as we looked around we saw everything running and went over to Batman and V2 to get a ride on them so we rode the train over there.Got on Iron Wolf, it always feels rough to me in the begining of the year and this time was no different. It was rough and I ended up smacking my jaw off the restraint, but it was still a fun ride.Got over to V2 and Batman and found they had pretty big lines so we figured we would head to lunch, on the way to lunch we stopped to ride East River Crawler and Rue le Dodge. My car was kicking ass in Bumper cars :)After we got back from lunch my belt didn't go off in the metal detector which was odd like I mentioned above. We headed back to the right side of the park towards Raging Bull and Viper since that side was all closed during Mothers Day. Viper and Bull both had a decent line and Bull was still running 2 trains and since I knew they would be running 3 pretty soon I skipped it until then. Went to Eagle Red instead, as we were walking over there, thier were two kids covering to "WO" and the picture of the women on the womens sign in the bathroom so it read Men. I thought it was pretty clever, I wonder if any guys fell for it lol.Went to American Eagle and rode Red side. It was alot smoother then the Blue side was in the morning, and we took a pretty funny on ride photo since I accidently elbowed my brother in the face while trying to pose for the photo, and the photo caught it perfect lol. I almost bought it, but decided not to. This was one out of 2 funny on ride photos of the day.Went to V2 and Batman again to check waits, still full. Rode Batman too much the week before and I think V2 sucks so we skipped them again and went back and decided to ride Loggers Run. No wait since it wasn't that warm out, but last time I rode Loggers Run I didn't get that wet from what I remembered so I figured we would be good. Convinced my brother and off we went, while riding though after the first small drop that got us a bit wet I remembered it was Ice Mountain Splash that I came off dry and not Loggers Run. Loggers Run was the one I came off soaked, so I basically informed my brother that we were screwed. As we were going down the first drop I ducked down so the water wouldn't hit me but my brothers hat went flying off so I reached up and grabbed it quick and the next thing I know the top half of me is soaked. If I would have just let his hat go I would have came off dry. :) When we came off the ride we basically had two sales people coming up to us trying to convince us to buy the on ride photo and when we looked at it my brothers hat was in mid air and you could see my reaction. It was priceless, but not worth whatever they charge for onride photos lol.Next we walked back to the front of the park and my brother posed with Daffy Duck and Sylvester...earlier before lunch he had got a picture taken with Bugs Bunny. I thought they were hillarious and joked about putting it up on the featured ride thing on the main page. We went over and saw somebody we knew over by Hometown Fun Machine I talked to him while my brother rode the ride.Then we went to Whizzer. During our ride there was a dumbass who thought he was funny in front of his friends so he took off his seat belt and turned around in his seat going up the lift and rode the whole ride backwards. Pretty dumb idea if you ask me, seeing as how he could have easily fell out on any of those high banked turns whizzer makes. Some people do the stupidest things and then wonder why people get hurt on rides.Rode Orbit and Demon again, then rode Eagle Backwards again and had a much smoother ride than earlier in the day on the helix, plus lighter trims. Rode Eagle red again as well. After that we rode Raging Bull, Giant Drop and Viper a few more times until it was almost 8 when we went over to Superman.On our way to Superman two kids approached us who were walking the opposite direction and told said, "If your planning on going to Superman, DON'T its not worth the wait" and after my morning ride me and my brother agreed but decided to go over there anyhow. About an hour later I got on the last train of the night in back seat left row, the money seat. Had a much better ride and took everything back I said about it all day long. This ride really needs to warm up because it felt much faster.All and all my best day so far this season with pretty light crowds, still haven't rode V2 yet this year but I don't really care I find it boring. Didn't ride Batman either since I rode it so many times during Mothers Day. Its off to Indiana Beach next weekend for a break from Great America for a weekend :)
Last edited by CoasterDave316 on May 20th, 2003, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby SFGA 11 on May 20th, 2003, 8:30 pm
On opening day, when I was waiting out side of the queue line some kids were also saying to us things like, " don't wait in line it's not worth it" and stuff like that, but I think they were just kidding to try to be funny. I agree with you that S:UF needs time to warm up and then it is a great ride. I think the majority of the GP likes the ride.
SFGA 11

Postby coasterswimgurl12 on May 20th, 2003, 9:21 pm
when you went on sunday did you get on some of the rides a couple of times in a row like i did??? it was towards the end of the day.....i got at the park around 5 because of a swim meet i had....but i got on a lot of rides for having 3 hours at the park! :wink:
*~There's a light~*
*~In the darkness~*
*~Of everybody's life~*
coasterswimgurl12

Postby GamRCFreak on May 20th, 2003, 9:25 pm
Great TR. I was one of those few who got into the queue before the ride op opened it up. I was on the first train in the back.The thing with the Viper lap bars happened to me as well. It was fun, but a little scary cause it happened while on the first bunny hop (after the drop and turnaround. I sure hope they can fix it.
you can't believe it - you didn't mean it
but they saw you do it and they know your name
GamRCFreak

Location: Hinsdale, IL in the summer, DeKalb IL in the School Year (Go Huskies!)

Postby chiatrain on May 20th, 2003, 10:18 pm
I didn't have any trouble with the Viper lap bar today, 5/20, but I overheard somebody behind me who had experienced the lap-bar incident. Nice TR CD316, glad to see this last trip turned out to be better than Mother's Day.
chiatrain

Postby coasterguy on May 21st, 2003, 6:58 am
That has happened to me on viper as well, I got to the top of the lift and it poped up!
16 Rides on TTD
10 in Front
4 in front at night
John kerry's got a big head
coasterguy

Return to Trip Reports