Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGam 5/17-18

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby GamRCFreak on May 19th, 2003, 8:46 am
Day 1Saturday started out with a run to superman. It was a little dishearting to see those Cbuzzers on their ERT. Especially because I was almost a part of the event. At about 5 to 10, it broke down, which made the wait a little longer. I was on the third train, in the money seat.After superman, I went through OP and ended up riding V2 which was a two minute wait for the very back. I almost forgot how high you go on the back tower.Next came Iron wolf. I decided to go in the front row and I was a liitle surprised that it didn't feel as rough as it usually does.I then made my way over to eagle. It was only running the blue train until noon, which seems to be the norm for the year. The trims were on real light in the morning, and you really gain some speed through the helix.After Eagle I headed to Deja Vu to see if the trains were on the track yet. They weren't. So then I headed to Demon and rode it in the very back.After Demon I went on viper. I havent ridden it since early last season so I forgot how much fun it is. I got to talking with a person in the station and he turned out to be one of the people from coasterbuzzcon. So we decided to go around the park for a while.We went over to Raging Bull and waited about 45 min. People continue to say that this ride is over braked and has no airtime, but I really disagree. Even with the brakes on the first hill, you still get some floating ejector in the back seat. The trims on the helices at the end of the ride were set really low and we flew through them.After Raging Bull we went to Eagle and rode it forwards. I havent ridden this side in a while, and loved the airtime.After Eagle we got in line for Batman. I had to go to the bathroom so I said goodbye to my new friend and left the line. So I went and rode Raging Bull again.After that I went and rode Superman again. In the back of course.Then I decided to ride whizzer. The trees are really disappearing.Then I met up with my brother who was at Ft. Sheridan for his Reserves. We went to eat and came back. We got his pass processed, then headed to superman. It was his first ride on it. After that we were both a little tired and it was about 10 to 9 (the park closed at 9) so rather than make one more attempt at a ride, we went home.Stay tuned for Day 2 coming soon.
you can't believe it - you didn't mean it
but they saw you do it and they know your name
GamRCFreak

Location: Hinsdale, IL in the summer, DeKalb IL in the School Year (Go Huskies!)

Postby chiatrain on May 19th, 2003, 8:51 am
Nice TR, GamRCFreak. Looks like you had a nice day. Looking forward to reading Day 2's report.
chiatrain

Postby GamRCFreak on May 19th, 2003, 11:08 am
Day 2Sunday 5/18Today I started out real early and was the first one at the gates. I ran to Superman and when we got there there was no employee so we went into the queue all the way to the station. The op said we had to go down to the bottom of the stairs. So we did. My brother wanted to go front row, and was third inline until some stupid girls just jumped in front of him. Those people are so annoying. I was on the first train of the day in the far right seat. This ride is so much fun.Next we were going to go on Batman, but it was having problems and wasn’t open, so we went to V2. Rode in the back after a 5 min wait. In line I talked to a guy who was from CP and he told me that dragster is insane.Next we went back to Batman. We were on the first train to leave all day. This ride has aged so well. We rode in the second to last car.Next we went to Iron Wolf. Today I rode in the second to last car. This ride was 10x rougher in the back than in the front. I was pleased at least with the soft padding on my harness.Next up was American Eagle Blue. We walked on to the last car. The trims were on a little rougher today, but it still flew through the helix.Next we went on Demon and I had to squeeze into the car. For some reason the car I rode in was a lot smaller than the back one. I am a tall guy (6’2”) and some rides can be uncomfortable.Next up was Viper. I don’t know why I didn’t ride this coaster more in recent years. It is so much fun. We rode in the back after a half hour wait.Next we got in line for Raging Bull. It looked so short; didn’t even go into the first covered area. However looks were deceiving. The line was moving so slow. It appeared that they were only running two trains. That decreased capacity so much. We waited about 20min and did not get inside the covered zig-zag areas. So then we saw American Eagle was running the red side and decided to get out of line.Red side on Eagle was a walkon. We rode in the back and got some great airtime.By now we were feeling tired and hungry so we decided to go on the train. We rode it all the way around the park, then another half way and got off at Hometown Square. We then rode whizzer which was a fifteen minute wait.After that we went to superman and the line was down a little so we decided to ride it again. Back row right end again for me. For some reason the pretzel loop seems to be getting less and less intense every time I ride it.After Superman, we decided to go and eat, which ended up being go home. I was so tired from two days of walking.Couple things I noticed over the course of the day:There are no canopies over any of the queues except for superman. What happened to them?American Eagle only runs Blue train until noon. This was the same as the previous day. I think they should start out with just the red train running. A lot of people want to ride a coaster forewards before they go backwards.My next trip will be on Thursday for my AP Physics trip. Can’t wait!
GamRCFreak

Location: Hinsdale, IL in the summer, DeKalb IL in the School Year (Go Huskies!)

Postby chiatrain on May 19th, 2003, 3:15 pm
Again, nice TR on your second day. I agree that American Eagle: Red should be running first and Blue opening at noon...or if possible, both open up at the same time at park opening. Hope you enjoy your Physics visit this week, too.
chiatrain

Postby GamRCFreak on May 19th, 2003, 7:19 pm
thanx chiatrain. hopefully thursday will be less crowded due to the fact that a lot of schools are still in school
GamRCFreak

Postby Aero737 on May 19th, 2003, 8:29 pm
. I am a tall guy (6'2") and some rides can be uncomfortable.
I know what you mean. Im 6'3" and getting on some of the rides (Demon and Space Mountain at WDW) are a real pain. Another bad thing is looking at the max. height limit on DeJaVu. It will be a sad day if/when I cant ride that anymore.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby GamRCFreak on May 19th, 2003, 11:45 pm
That is one thing I have been looking at since it opened. I am fortunate that I got to ride it when it was open. I always make sure I wear shoes with shorter soles. hopefully 1. I dont grow much more, and 2. They get Deja Vu to work consistently.
GamRCFreak

Return to Trip Reports