Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Mediocre day at best...

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Aero737 on May 4th, 2003, 3:24 pm
We got to the park around 9:30 and got in line. Our line moved pretty fast so I was happy. We ran to S:UF and got in a fairly long line. So far the day seemed okay except the park was getting a bit crowded.S:UF:Great ride. Line was only about 10 min from where I was. Loading was a little slow but that was okay. Kinda weird watching everyone run through the ratmazes before the que area was full. Ride was kinda short, but the back row rocks. I gave it a 9/10After getting off S:UF I was pumped, untill I realized I lost my keys on the ride. I looked at the ground coming out of the exit and found nothing but lots of change. That kinda ruined the first half of my day. We decided to head to BatmanBatman The Ride:It wasn't too long of a line only 10-15 min for the front row. It was the first time I had ever ridden the front of this coaster and it rocked! It was fast and pulled lots of G's. I thought I was going to get hit by the willow trees flying over the water. It was better than any other time I had ever ridden B:TR. Unlike last year, both trains are running without wheel covers, and new ones are sitting in their wrappings before the station. The rat-trap that we always see was gone too :D . I gave the ride a 9/10.After B:TR we decided to do a B&M marathon, and try Iron Wolf. The line was out the entrance, and we didn't want to wait in a long line for a quick ride. We decided to check out AE.American Eagle:We hit the blue side (only one open at the time). I never thought I would be waiting for this coaster either. The line was full to the bridge. We rode in the last car to leave the station. While getting restraints checked, I asked the Ride-op to run the coaster w/ no trim brakes on. He said "You will die if you run AE w/ not trims." They raced us against a lone ride op in the red side. The helix was smooth but looked bad. I gave it a 6/10We decided to head over to southwest territory.When we got there, we walked to Raging Bull. They had just closed the line and a couple of 40 year-olds were yelling at the girl keeping people out of the line. I thought they were putting another train on the track b/c there were people by the train shed. Then I saw them evacuating the people off the ride and they started ushering us to leave southwest territory. We hung around to see what was happening, but when they took garbage cans and blocked off Raging Bull's enterance/exit we left.We got out passes processed headed out to the drop-off zone to wait for my spare set of keys to arrive.Once I got my keys back, we got in the park and headed to AE again.American Eagle (2):This time I wanted to ride the red side. I enjoy this side much better. You seem to get more airtime than you do on the blue. I gave it a 7.5/10.From the line we saw Raging Bull testing and on the ride we saw V2 testing. I would have rather ridden V2 so we headed over there. The ride op at the entrance said "It wont open today" (liar). We made it back to Raging Bull.Raging Bull: Back row is always good. Nice airtime, seems faster this year. Not much to say except the ride ops are slow. It was stacking 2 trains when there was no problems in the station. They forgot to check the back half of the trains restraints and realized it at the last moment once. 8/10 (B/C of ride-ops)Viper:We rode the Viper next. Line went fast. At this time we were guessing on times for the rides. I was 4 seconds off..heh.. Lots of rows were broken. We rode the front row, and it seems so slow over the hills. You would float up for a second, and then be thrown forwards as the train slowed down. Painful 6/10.Raging Bull (2&3): It was 6 o'clock now and we tried Raging Bull again. We got in the station and the dang thing broke down. All day they had a mechanic in the station for RB so he got on it quickly. After a 20 min delay we were on our way. We rode back row again. Colder and windier than before. The ride just seemed better. After that we ran to the line to try and get one more ride before we headed off to S:UF. We went for the second to last row this time. Same as before, only colder. My hands were dang cold by this point. 9/10.We grabbed a parking pass and headed over to S:UFS:UF (2):We got in line around 7:45. Kinda cold. I looked at all the change accumulated at the bottom of the drop. We wanted to try the front row, but the guy wouldn't let us. We went for the back row, and met an interesting coaster enthusiast in line (he wasn't too font of GAm). The ride is better at night. I thought it was a good way to end the day. 10/10.The lines were long, my knee hurt, I lost money and my keys...Not the best day at the park. Not to mention spending money on food. From now on, no more eating in the park for me.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on May 4th, 2003, 3:40 pm
Raging Bull did seem faster. I forgot to metnion that in my TR. Best ride on RB ever. Even though the trims on the third hill seemed a little strong it was still faster than before.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby joker on May 4th, 2003, 5:33 pm
See I never eat in the park...only something really small. I also dont bring a lot of money so I dont waste it all on junk. If I do I bring money to eat at Dennys and get a nice meal at the end of the day.
-Roller Coaster Enthusiast
joker

Postby NoUseForAName on May 4th, 2003, 7:58 pm
I thought today was great. Superman is awesome i love that pretzel loop. I didnt think it was crowded at all besides around superman . Yeah the new work kinda sucks on AE whats up with that additional trim before the helix? Every coaster i went on today was stacking but the crowds werent bad so it didnt really matter. Bull was amazing today. Anyone notice that animated video in batman's station? Looked kinda like BDK maybe we will get a floorless next year :wink:
NoUseForAName

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on May 4th, 2003, 8:03 pm
Yeah, that animation of that coaster has been around for a few years I'm guessing because I remember seeing it last year and the year before. Hopefully we will get a floorless but we shouldn't worry about that now. Let's just enjoy flying on Superman!
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby keg5651 on May 4th, 2003, 8:32 pm
My day was great, we were there from 3:30 to 7 and the place was deserted. S:UF was an hour long at first, then we went on Viper (a walk on), Raging Bull - which i thought felt tame (10 mins), American Eagle twice (walk on), Iron Wolf (walk on), Vertical Velocity - great ride (practically a walk on), Batman (walk on), and the Superman again (10 mins). So we hit everything but Demon, Whizzer and Deja Vu (which i knew wouldnt run) in 3 and a half hours. You cant do better than that!
Last edited by keg5651 on May 4th, 2003, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keg5651

Postby coastrcorey on May 4th, 2003, 8:36 pm
How did you get on superman in only 10 min.? Every time I looked, it was really long!
coastrcorey

Postby keg5651 on May 4th, 2003, 8:43 pm
coastrcorey wrote:How did you get on superman in only 10 min.? Every time I looked, it was really long!
I'd say it was around 6:45...there were always people standing at the entrance but the line was forming at almost at the stairs up to the station...
keg5651

Postby coastrcorey on May 4th, 2003, 9:17 pm
Man... That stinks, if I would've known that I would've ridden again!
coastrcorey

Postby T_Biggs on May 4th, 2003, 9:57 pm
NoUseForAName wrote:Anyone notice that animated video in batman's station? Looked kinda like BDK maybe we will get a floorless next year :wink:
That is an animation by the guys at Badnitrus, made for Six Flags. It in fact is BDK. It's been playing since Badnitrus made it (I think last year, wasn't last year when BDK debuted?) I doubt it means anything, just Six Flags said "Here, we got a Batman animation, you have Batman, play it on an out of place TV in it's station." I'm not saying that I don't want a floorless like it, I love Kraken, and smaller B&Ms seem more intense from my experience, so a small floorless would be sweet!
T_Biggs

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on May 4th, 2003, 10:37 pm
I figured it was BDK. My friend that went to media day said that Walter Bolliger said that SFGAm gave them their start when they first were working for Intamin AG. . Anyway they said since we gave them their start that this new coaster wont be the last thing that SFGAm gets from them. I figured that we were going to get a floorless. Then when I met my buddy he said that his friend who makes sure all the rides operate properly told him that we were going to get a floorless. The media day part I know is a fact but the second part about the floorless coaster I think is a rumor.
R.I.P. Deja Vu 10/07/01-10/28/07
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on May 4th, 2003, 10:56 pm
Raging Bull is faster only because they got new wheels. The ride is better than ever now.
Last edited by SFGAmfreak4life on May 5th, 2003, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby NegativeGeez on May 5th, 2003, 1:11 am
i was thinking itd be nice to get a floorless...its obvious this park doesnt have the resources to have big record breakers like magic mountain and cedar point, so i think it should focus on unique rides like s:uf and something like a floorless. the question is...whats next on the chopping black? do you think they would knock down another ride...if so...which one (its obvious whizzer isnt going anywhere)? i know its heresey to say so...but...i wouldnt mind it at all if they knocked down iron wolf for a new floorless.
NegativeGeez

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on May 5th, 2003, 2:07 pm
At media Jim Wintrode who I am pretty sure is the park president said that he knows that S:UF isnt a big ride or all that fast. He also said that building the tallest or fastest ride isnt a concern to him. He said he is out to build the most unique coasters. Which we do have. When it is time for GAm to add a new ride I think that they would have bought more land by then or they are clearing space in the park. I dont think they would take out another coaster anytime soon.
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby Aero737 on May 5th, 2003, 2:30 pm
One more thing I have to say about the 3rd. The staff was so unfriendly. I should complain. A blind man (or almost blind) got on American Eagle. He had to ask me if this was the red side and what the ride is basically like. After the ride he got off and walked right past 2 ride ops, who seemed to be having a non-important conversation, and into the bins. We waited about a min. for the ride ops to help him (they saw him and they were about 5 feet from him) and they never did anything. We ended up leading him out and to the exit. Throughtout the day we saw other people helping him, yet I never saw any employees helping him. The food and pass processing staff also seemed unfriendly. They wouldnt correct out order when we didnt get the right pizza, and when they picture didnt show up/spelled my broethers name wrong on his pass, they did nothing. I Really hope that they can get their act together and make us feel more like guests in the park.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby joker on May 5th, 2003, 2:33 pm
I heard this from a couple people. Maybe they were just in a pissy mood about going back to work, or maybe they werent going to run Superman. But if you dont want to work there and be in a pissy mood, then dont work there!
-Roller Coaster Enthusiast
joker

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on May 5th, 2003, 2:40 pm
I thought that all the employees I ran into were nice. I didnt see one mean employee all day.
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby NoUseForAName on May 5th, 2003, 2:54 pm
oh yeah by the way what happend to viper's hangtime on the lift? now it just cruises up it
NoUseForAName

Postby SFGAmfreak4life on May 5th, 2003, 3:02 pm
There is still hang time. I rode it a few times over the opening weekend. I think its better than ever for some reason.
SFGAmfreak4life

Postby coastrcorey on May 5th, 2003, 3:42 pm
Yeah, aero... I was in line for American Eagle when that happened with raging bull. Also, the girl at the gates that scanned my card was just really pissy. It really bugs me when staff is like that. Otherwise I generally thought the staff was ok. There were some employees that were really helpful and kind.
coastrcorey

Postby keg5651 on May 5th, 2003, 3:43 pm
SFGAmfreak4life wrote:Raging Bull is faster on because they got new wheels. The ride is better than ever now.
Yeah i noticed this, the drop doesn't feel any faster, but near the end the helixes are really fast.
keg5651

Return to Trip Reports