Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

KMG XXL

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby FParker185 on April 5th, 2006, 7:32 pm
Been tracking something here for the past 10 or so months and it's development, and after seeing blueprints, testmodels, initial construction and testing, it's nice to see the final ride. It's the first of 3 that are scheduled for delivery. One in the pics is for Family Kroon, the next one will be for an un-named English showman, and third this year will be for Maier in Switzerland. Quick rundown right fast here, it's portable, it racks on 3 trailers, requires no crane for setup which only takes about 30 minutes for the actual erection of the structure, weighs in at 78 tons, it comes in at 145 feet in full swing (8 feet taller than the Huss Giant Frisbee), and holds 20 people in 4 groups of 5 across gondolas.

Wont really find anything on the KMG site exept though hidden links, but here is a setup picture, it is fully automatic.

http://www.kmg.nl/Bas/XXLOpbouw.jpg

Here are pictures of the ride sitting fully racked inside the KMG factory.

http://www.ditiskermis.nl/index.php?s=0 ... entry33423

And here are pics of testing.

http://themepark.nl/ubbthreads/showflat ... rt=62&vc=1

and here is a video of testing (they are doing long duration swing testing only, so there is no rotation and it's not going up to full swing)

http://www.steedseenbeetjemeer.nl/Speci ... KMGXXL.wmv

(love the noise it makes as it revs up during every swing)

And finally here are pics from when the first pieces of steel were welded up until fairly recent. (page 3 I believe is where you can see the first erection inside the warehouse though the retractable roof they have)

http://www.kermissite.nl/forumsite/view ... sc&start=0
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Trailblazer Tony on April 5th, 2006, 8:32 pm
That looks cool. Do you happen to know where it might end up? Is it a traveling thing, will it be stationary? Any deals yet? Just curious and with the language barrier on those websites I thought maybe you might be able to answer before i found anything.
RIP: Trailblazer and Deja Vu...heck, even Alien Encounter :(

Fangs Up Cobra Style!!!

Chitown's finest resident here!!!!!
Trailblazer Tony

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 5th, 2006, 8:55 pm
I've been on Freak Out, and I can tell you that KMG makes a great ride. This is the smaller version of that ride. I haven't been on the bigger version yet, but it would be great if some carnival would get it by us. To bad, the closest claw to that is the Fabbri AfterBurner at All Star Amusments now called NAME.

Spin Out is the other one they make which I really enjoy. I know the other version of the Spin Out (We've been over that Top Star Tours already.) that's by a different company.

Here's the bigger version of (AfterBurner=claw ride) that type of ride by KMG.
http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/K ... burner.jpg
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby FParker185 on April 5th, 2006, 10:00 pm
the Fabbri afterburner was recently sold out of country, no more exist in the united states, it had maintaince issues.

How many were sold, the portability of the ride, and who bought them was posted above.

As of now they do not offer a park model, and it is nowhere close to road legal in the US, so dont ever expect to see one over here unless it's in a park.

Also quick error I made up above, my metric isnt so good, it isnt 145 feet, it's 147 feet (45 meters, so 10 feet taller than the huss giant).

Also, Top Star Tour is fun, but it's mothballed and for sale, and will likely be sold out of country due to it's accident 2 years ago. Drop of Fear is also up for sale which you likely rode if you saw G-Force. the Schwarzkopf Dopple is also up for sale. And technically SpinOut was designed by KMG but they never made it, the design was sold to Tivoli in the UK represented in the US by Amtech, Tivoli makes them in the UK.
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 6th, 2006, 4:36 pm
What ride did All Star Amusements (NAME) get instead of the AfterBurner if anything at all? Didn't it cost them a million dollars to buy that? I did notice that during the Glendale Heights Carnival they were having troubles starting and it was really bad stopping that ride. It took a while, and workers had to get on the thing when it slowed down a little bit. It was pretty bad?

What is the difference that Murphy's Brothers had in Wisconsin at the State Fair. It doesn't look much difference.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby FParker185 on April 7th, 2006, 4:21 pm
at Wisconsin State Fair that is a KMG Freak Out, the smallest in their Afterburner line.

NAME is buying like 4-5 new rides this year, but cant remember any off the top of my head, mostly fairly standard spinning rides, not sure where these new rides will be going within the company though, one possibly 2 may be a new style of Tivoli Remix(Orbiter but with inverted seating), with 4 arms instead of 6, so it fits on one trailer, I know 4 were sold in the US this year and I heard the name of NAME thrown around a bit.

All Star had a Fabbri Space Jam, I believe it was actually one of the first made, it's a very near clone cosmetically to the regular KMG afterburner, mechanically it's a whole lot different. Traditionally Fabbri is fairly low quality, along with all the other Italian Manufacturers, Pinfari(defunct), Moser(improving), Zamperla(improving), Technical Park, IE Park, Top Fun, etc.
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 7th, 2006, 10:47 pm
You know All Star has to get something to replace the AfterBurner. All Stars/Astros Orbitor in my opinion was horrible after the replacement a couple years ago. Astro's (at the time) original Orbitor was taken down before the carnival ended at Riis Park in Chicago. After that ride broke, the new one was bought by them. Last year, All Star had the ride while Astro had Downdraft. I would suspect the one that keeps the Orbitor would definitely not have the remix.

This Remix does look awesome. On a carnival website, they showed me a video of this ride, and had a strange program. Some cars go slow while others don't. Then, the other cars go faster. Then, it tilts. It was kinda of freaky.

This ride, in my opinion is boring compared to the Orbitor that they had before. My thinking is that it just doesn't tilt enough like the Typhoon at All Around Amusments (now gone), or more prevantly like the Predator at Windy City Amusments. The Predator (same as the Orbitor) with a different color package is my favorite ride while All Star's borrowed Orbitor would have to be way, way, way down there on my favorite lists ride. It is just so boring. All Star used to have a Typhoon that ranks with the other Typhoon (Favorite ride) at AAA and the Predator.

I tried to think that maybe it's the speed, but it does seem to go the same speed as the other one. It can't be the height, because it goes up the same way. The only other conclusion could be the arm tilt. I know there has to be a difference. I ride the Predator to death, and I can feel something between the Predator at WCA, and All Star/Astro now NAME.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Director_Guy on April 8th, 2006, 2:10 am
Don't they have the same thing at Knott's? La Revolucion or something? And one at PGA?
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking, isn't thinking of.
Director_Guy

Postby FParker185 on April 8th, 2006, 4:22 am
Well technically All Star amusements doesnt exist anymore, it's just NAME, so anything NAME buys would be part of the company.

Also without getting anything new, you may start seeing different rides at the carnival spots as NAME has over 200 rides, and so far this year alot of movements have been made, and fairs are seeing rides that used to be with the 4 (now 6) shows that have been bought out by NAME, so by all means in thoery you could see Space Roller or a Zamperla Mouse or one of Conklins old coasters at an All Star spot (not saying you will, as all those are reserved for the huge spots like state fairs but it's a possibility, word has it Space Roller will remain in the states this year rather than going on the Canadian route for the entire summer like it has for the past couple seasons (which is why it stopped appearing at Wisconsin State Fair)

And i forgot to mention up above but for Wisconsin State Fair it's no longer Murphy Brothers Expo, while the contract is under their name, Jim Murphy sent just about all his rides to China, for his US route, Reed Expositions covers the route, and just about all the rides at the WSF are Reed rides, with a few book in's from Tally and some random other carnival companies (like Freak Out, the Jungle Drop and one or 2 other rides), I think all that's left of Murphy that makes it to WSF is one of the Chance Century Wheels. And the other staple of the fair, the Zyklon is and always has been Van Hull (you should see that crew set it up and tear it down when time is tight, it's downright astonishing, goes down in a matter of hours as those guys have been sloughing that coaster for 15+ years now)
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 8th, 2006, 3:07 pm
So, basically it's a free for all. That doesn't seem right. In my opinion, for the most part the rides were stick together. Now, if All Star switches with Farrow 10 rides, then I probably should expect those new 10 rides to be part of the All Star Fleet even though there is no All Star anymore. It just doesn't make sense for All Star (now Name) to switch back and forth with Farrow (now Name) every week.

So, in essence if Spin Out is being borrowed by Farrow, then I won't be able to find it in this area considering Farrow stops are never around here except for the Taste of Chicago. To me, it's like a disorganized chaos. On top of it, I'm guessing that all the trucks have to be changed to NAME.

I hope Windy City Amusements doesn't get into this mess. I don't want that main midway to change much!!!!!!

Do you agree with on NAME (formely Astros) Orbitor, and the Predator at Windy City??
Ilovthevu'

Postby FParker185 on April 9th, 2006, 2:58 am
yeah, for the Orbiter it all depends on the show, some tilt theirs and some dont and it does make a difference in how the ride feels.

Right now there are 2 regular Remixes in the US, Strates and Michael Wood (an independant), Strates just blocks it flat while Wood adds alot of wooden blocking to the back of the ride to put it on a decent angle (he does the same with his Mondial Shake)

And I have found out that a KMG afterburner that NAME bought from Cumberland Valley Shows is the most likely candadite to fill the hole left by the Fabbri Afterburner on All Star's Route. NAME bought out about 3/4 of CVS, which is most of their major rides, so along with the KMG Afterburner (Feuerball I believe it's called) there may be some other CVS rides showing up around the area. Some people here may have been to a CVS show, they always set up in Valporaiso, IN in July every year. Will be nice to have a KMG piece here in the Chicagoland area, it's about damn time :)
FParker185

Postby FParker185 on April 9th, 2006, 3:00 am
Also, figured I'd do another post for this, as the topic here is jumping around a bit, but XXL did open on Sat at a carnival in the Netherlands, pics are at...

http://themepark.nl/ubbthreads/showflat ... rt=27&vc=1

that should take you to page 27, there are also really good pics on page 28.
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 9th, 2006, 4:04 pm
FParker185 wrote:yeah, for the Orbiter it all depends on the show, some tilt theirs and some dont and it does make a difference in how the ride feels.

Right now there are 2 regular Remixes in the US, Strates and Michael Wood (an independant), Strates just blocks it flat while Wood adds alot of wooden blocking to the back of the ride to put it on a decent angle (he does the same with his Mondial Shake)

And I have found out that a KMG afterburner that NAME bought from Cumberland Valley Shows is the most likely candadite to fill the hole left by the Fabbri Afterburner on All Star's Route. NAME bought out about 3/4 of CVS, which is most of their major rides, so along with the KMG Afterburner (Feuerball I believe it's called) there may be some other CVS rides showing up around the area. Some people here may have been to a CVS show, they always set up in Valporaiso, IN in July every year. Will be nice to have a KMG piece here in the Chicagoland area, it's about damn time :)

Thanks for the information. Is there any possibility that they bought the Space Roller? I wouldn't mind trying that thing out for size. :D
Ilovthevu'

Postby FParker185 on April 9th, 2006, 5:44 pm
NAME did buy Jane Baxters Space Roller, but that will only do the really big spots, like State Fairs.
FParker185

Postby FParker185 on April 10th, 2006, 3:17 am
well, solid update on All Star, from someone who works there....

"the afterburner was sold to a park in mexico and was replaced by the furerball from CVS. we also got their electric 7 tilt to replace our grandma tilt which we sent to 2nd unit."

Takes care of that. :)
FParker185

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 10th, 2006, 11:29 pm
FParker185 wrote:NAME did buy Jane Baxters Space Roller, but that will only do the really big spots, like State Fairs.

Darn it!! I want to try that thing. It looks so cool. Have you been on it, and how was it??
Ilovthevu'

Postby FParker185 on April 12th, 2006, 4:55 pm
I've ridden it dozens and dozens of times in probably a half dozen or so locations. It's spectacular, one of the best flat rides in the country.

If it shows up within a 500 mile or so radius I'll be sure to sent out an alert here. Though best bets is IN State Fair, IL State Fair. It always used to do MN State Fair and State Fair of TX, but not sure if NAME will continue that (if they are smart, they will, as those fairs are no wristbands, tickets only $5-6 per person per ride with lines on the weekend)

Also it was at Wisconsin State Fair in Milwaukee for 2-3 years back I think in 02 and 03, I believe 03 also had Magnum, the Mondial Shake (think Fiddlers Fling but with spinning and looping gondolas)
FParker185

Return to General Coaster Talk