Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Recent Sea World Trip-Mako Report

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby batmanfan80 on September 14th, 2016, 4:02 pm
I was just at Sea World Orlando last week and got a couple days in. Due to me picking up a cold and the high temps and humidity, we only rode each coaster once per day. Kraken had been my fav coaster since riding it for the first time a little over 18 months ago, but I wasn't as into it this time(but I haven't been that into coasters a lot this year in general). It's still extremely smooth and probably the best looping coaster that I've been on though. No lines at all at Sea World. Manta had like a 15 min line on the 9th and that's the only line really. Mako had a 5 min wait on the 6th. Otherwise these rides were walk ups all the other times. Manta was still real good but the ops there are just as slow as Pretzelman at Great America. Must be a flying coaster thing. I'm not sure the ride needs all the corkscrews, it beats Pretzelman on the variety in the course and scenery alone. Pretzel loops are not good with a cold.

On to Mako. Absolutely insane. First, it just dumps you over the steeper than usual lift hill, no pre-drop. It's pretty out there to be almost 200 feet up on the next hill where you're on your side. Every drop on this coaster has the most and best ejector air I've ever felt. Kills Raging Trimbrake in this regard really bad. It reminds me more of a woodie like Viper than RT. Mako has an angry trim on one of the smaller hills which isn't too bad. No stupid helixes. Instead we get some cool turns. Mako is exceptionally smooth, no rattling at all like we sometimes experience on RT. I think if the queue filled up people would be passing out from the heat even with the water fountains.

These Sea World coasters are almost too much in some ways(although these days I don't know if I could make it through several of our coasters in one day). Even riding them hours apart. None of them feel like they're too short, which is how I often feel about the rides at our park. However, if you're riding 10 rides in one day, you probably don't want a million huge airtime hills and inversions on every one. Sea World was just as crowded as Great America, it's just that maybe 5% of the crowd actually rides the coasters(and the crowd is almost all tourists). I guess that if one was to boycott Sea World because they have captive dolphins and such, we'd have to boycott Six Flags since Discovery Kingdom is almost the same thing, even down to having a near clone of Kraken. I wonder if Cedar and the other theme parks have captive animals.
batmanfan80

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 15th, 2016, 12:23 pm
That MAKO looks awesome! I've ridden both Manta and Kraken in 2014. I thought Manta was much better than our Superman due to the extra elements, and the "splat" effect that Superman doesn't have. Plus the close calls with the water. Kraken was excellent as well.

One thing that Mako makes clear: You don't need a huge rectangular footprint to build a big coaster. The footprint for this ride is like a big letter 'L'.

https://rcdb.com/12758.htm
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby jojocardee on March 29th, 2017, 11:04 pm
jojocardee

Postby Coaster Justin on March 30th, 2017, 12:27 am
Cedar Fair parks have petting zoos if that counts.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on April 4th, 2017, 11:08 pm
Agreed with just about everything you said about Mako. I thought Diamondback had the stronger ejected airtime though, so that's why I have Diamondback as my #1 hyper and Mako at #2. But Mako was a splendid surprise, certainly exceeded expectations.
Dan The Coaster Man

Return to General Coaster Talk