Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Unpopular Opinions

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby JT3 on July 8th, 2014, 12:07 am
Do you have any opinions that most other enthusiasts seem to disagree on? These opinions could be based on coasters, parks, basically anything theme park.

For me, it has to be X-Flight. So many people, mostly on TPR, feel that this ride is boring and slow and is a let down just because it doesn't suck you eyeballs to the back of your skull with G-forces. X-Flight is a plain fun ride that actually gives some of the best weightlessness on any ride out there in my opinion. That first zero-g roll is sweet. Also, I've never understood the whole "vest locking" issue. Its a little tight, but the ride experience is not hindered.

Another for me would be Top Thrill Dragster being the best ride at CP. Millennium, Maverick, Raptor, and Magnum are incredible, but not one of those rides gives you an adrenaline rush like TTD does. Scratch that, not one ride on earth gives an adrenaline rush like TTD.

What are your unpopular opinions?
1. Bizarro 2. Expedition GeForce
3. X2 4. Top Thrill Dragster 5. El Toro 6. Goliath (SFGAm) 7. Millennium Force 8. Silver Star 9. Apollo's Chariot 10. Goliath (SFOG)
JT3

Postby RollingCoasting on July 8th, 2014, 12:21 am
Well, some people on the site agree with me on this, others don't.
I think Demon is rough. When I go through the corkscrews, my head slams into the side, crushing my ear in the process. I know it's not the roughest out there, but it's the roughest ride in the park. Others think Demon should stay and it's a great first inverting ride for kids. Not me. I guess a lot of people still like it , and I respect that. I actually like the ride too- but not the roughness.
RollingCoasting

Postby VuDooJoey on July 8th, 2014, 12:31 pm
JT3 wrote:Do you have any opinions that most other enthusiasts seem to disagree on? These opinions could be based on coasters, parks, basically anything theme park.

For me, it has to be X-Flight. So many people, mostly on TPR, feel that this ride is boring and slow and is a let down just because it doesn't suck you eyeballs to the back of your skull with G-forces. X-Flight is a plain fun ride that actually gives some of the best weightlessness on any ride out there in my opinion. That first zero-g roll is sweet. Also, I've never understood the whole "vest locking" issue. Its a little tight, but the ride experience is not hindered.

Another for me would be Top Thrill Dragster being the best ride at CP. Millennium, Maverick, Raptor, and Magnum are incredible, but not one of those rides gives you an adrenaline rush like TTD does. Scratch that, not one ride on earth gives an adrenaline rush like TTD.

I agree with you on TTD. Nothing beats that launch :D

I think mine would be Raging Bull. I think it's a fun ride, but I don't think it lives up to all the hype that people give it. It's in my top 5 at SFGAM, but it's in the lower 5. After that trim brake, the ride is pretty much just coasting until the last set of turns.
VuDooJoey

Postby JimPanky on July 8th, 2014, 1:10 pm
Im a big fan of Kick It Up, The Dark Knight, and Indiana Beach.
JimPanky

Postby Foltzy on July 8th, 2014, 1:23 pm
I actually kinda like superman...
And I think TTD is great. But Kingda ka isn't as good as TTD. OTSR ruin it
Foltzy

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on July 8th, 2014, 1:28 pm
I did not think that Iron Wolf was rough at all, I never had head banging, and I enjoyed riding it very much. That is why I was one of the few people that was actually sad to see it go.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby CoasterCale on July 8th, 2014, 1:55 pm
JT3 wrote:

Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:I did not think that Iron Wolf was rough at all, I never had head banging, and I enjoyed riding it very much. That is why I was one of the few people that was actually sad to see it go.

I agree with those statements soo much.

Foltzy wrote: But Kingda ka isn't as good as TTD. OTSR ruin it

I disagree with this. (Which is a unpopular opinion in itself.) ORSRs don't effect it to me.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby CoasterCale on July 8th, 2014, 1:57 pm
Another unpopular opinion is that American Eagle and Demon are rather good coasters. They almost never have a line, and give a relatively good ride experience.

CoasterCale

Postby JimPanky on July 8th, 2014, 2:12 pm
I enjoy em both. Demon has grown on me over the years.
JimPanky

Postby JT3 on July 8th, 2014, 4:58 pm
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:I did not think that Iron Wolf was rough at all, I never had head banging, and I enjoyed riding it very much. That is why I was one of the few people that was actually sad to see it go.

Interesting! You know back in 2005 when I got tall enough to ride the 54" coasters, Iron Wolf was my first. I loved it my first time and it did not bang my head at all. Ever since then, the ride would usually beat me up, but would randomly have a couple smooth rides thrown in there.

Another unpopular opinion for me would be that SFMM is a totally enjoyable place. I once heard someone on TPR say that he would rather go to the dentist than SFMM. Honestly. My experience at SFMM was awesome, and operations were pretty good on their rides. It was a little dirty in some parts, and they are very coaster heavy, but overall it does not deserve half the amount of flack it deserves.
3. X2 4. Top Thrill Dragster 5. El Toro 6. Goliath (SFGAm) 7. Millennium Force 8. Silver Star 9. Apollo's Chariot 10. Goliath (SFOG)
JT3

Postby Paradise on July 8th, 2014, 6:52 pm
I have a ton of unpopular opinions. I love TDK, I think Millenium Force and TTD are two of the best rides in the world, I think the screaming swings are the best flat rides around, I also wasn't as big a fan of DejaVu as many others here. Do I get alot of garbage for it? Yeah. But it makes us who we are. We're allowed to have different opinions. Otherwise, there would just be one coaster type, one height, and one type of train.
Have a take and don't suck, it's the Jim Rome Show!
Paradise

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 8th, 2014, 7:03 pm
Paradise wrote:Do I get alot of garbage for it? Yeah. But it makes us who we are. We're allowed to have different opinions. Otherwise, there would just be one coaster type, one height, and one type of train.

*Slowly applauds, then gradually gets faster gaining other people, ending with a standing ovation*

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Sharon29060 on July 8th, 2014, 7:35 pm
JT3 wrote:For me, it has to be X-Flight. So many people, mostly on TPR, feel that this ride is boring and slow and is a let down just because it doesn't suck you eyeballs to the back of your skull with G-forces. X-Flight is a plain fun ride that actually gives some of the best weightlessness on any ride out there in my opinion. That first zero-g roll is sweet. Also, I've never understood the whole "vest locking" issue. Its a little tight, but the ride experience is not hindered.

I agree

I think I'm one of those very few people who actually like Mt.Olympus. Maybe I was lucky to go on a good day? I actually thought it was great and both parks were very nice especially the water park(and I'm one of those people who prefer the amusement park over the water park).
Sharon29060

Postby sfgam-fan on July 8th, 2014, 8:47 pm
I've only been to Mt Olympus once but I liked it. Wooden coasters were good and the go karts are a unique contribution. That park will never build big, world record coasters, but they are a good regional offering. The one thing that disturbed me was the unprofessionalism of the ride operators. The operators at Hades didn't check people's restraints, and when the trains left the station, they sat down on the floor of the platform with their feet in the track well. Then when the train came back they'd stand up on the track, hop up onto the platform, and advance the train into the station. They did it for every cycle while I was in the station. I half expected them to light up cigarettes and smoke at the same time! It was funny but in a completely disturbing way. This was a few years ago so maybe they've improved.

As for SFGAm, Raging Bull is a good hyper coaster but it's easily eclipsed by the other B&M hypers out there in the world. The first half of RB is great and the second half is boring. On busy days I don't bother with it because the wait time to ride quality ratio just doesn't work for me.

I really liked Space Shuttle America. It was hokey in its later years, especially when they started showing Dinosaur movies, but when it debuted it was really something special. They put a full size space shuttle next to it, the indoor queue theming was a nice Disney-like touch, and it was air conditioned, the only ride to have that at the time. It was up to a 1.5 hour wait on hot days. I'm sure it was a maintenance nightmare, but I wish they'd refreshed it Star Tours style with CGI upgrades. After all, Star Tours had terrible CGI for a long time too. Oh well!
sfgam-fan

Postby CoasterCale on July 8th, 2014, 8:52 pm
sfgam-fan wrote: They put a full size space shuttle next to it, the indoor queue theming was a nice Disney-like touch, and it was air conditioned, the only ride to have that at the time. It was up to a 1.5 hour wait on hot days. I'm sure it was a maintenance nightmare, but I wish they'd refreshed it Star Tours style with CGI upgrades. After all, Star Tours had terrible CGI for a long time too. Oh well!

That reminds me of another unpopular opinion that I have. I liked the original Star Tours allot better then the updated version. 3D+Motion Simulator= Extreme Motion Sickness.

CoasterCale

Postby [jonrev] on July 9th, 2014, 2:29 am
Stirring the pot is my specialty...

-Magic Mountain > Cedar Point
Point obviously wins in flat rides and overall aesthetics - that's just common sense. However, the decent coasters at the Mountain are more plentiful, and when I travel to parks: coasters are usually the priority. The only real winners at Cedar Point for me were Maverick and Magnum. I never got into the Millennium Forceless hype; and Dragster was probably ruined by a miserable 5 hour wait for Kingda Ka to break down in 2006 - so after a dismal front seat ride on Dragster the following year I avoided it entirely on my return trip in 2012 (if I want an acceleration rush like that I can easily hit up my friend with his LS3-swapped Pontiac Fiero - much more fun). Gemini and Blue Streak hurt though the latter is excused for age (the former is just bad, even for Arrow standards). Mean Streak, while I seem to be FAR in the minority in that I actually get-along with this ride, is otherwise nothing special. The rest are merely bloated, less-forceful "one-ups" on whatever Great America installed the previous year; "bigger and faster" mean nothing if the pacing is slow or the layout is bad.

-On a related note: I rode X2 about a month ago. I gave it three chances... and didn't enjoy either one. The seat rotation kills it for me; the back and forth "bucking" was so violent that it reminded me of T2 at Kentucky Kingdom (which absolutely should've been melted down instead of Greezed Lightnin'... piece of crap). Apparently part of it was because I sat in outer seats, though - might have had a better ride on the inside.

-Demon, and Eagle have never really bothered me - I hope they stand another hundred years. Back in the day I wasn't really fazed by Shockwave or Iron Wolf, either. Iron Wolf actually still remains my favorite standup; over Mantis, Riddler's, Chang, and KD Shockwave (in that order, probably).

-I'm totally fine with the outcome of the Chang fiasco of 2010 (it was boring when I rode it at Kentucky Kingdom).

I'll probably think of more...
[jonrev]

Postby JT3 on July 9th, 2014, 10:06 am
Man, I keep remembering more know.

This one is pretty recent. About a week and a half ago I went to Europa Park and saw the impressive Silver Star, but I really did not expect to much because it is always forgotten about and I thought it was trimmed to death, I thought it would be Raging Bull 2.0. Turns out its the best B&M Hyper I've ever ridden. It snuck into my top ten and I would say it has the most airtime I've ever had on a B&M. Fantastic coaster, but almost every other review rates this as the worst B&M hyper...then again I did ride Silver Star without the trims, that has to have something to do with it.

BTW...Europa is an amazing place. Its perfect. Back on topic...

Another one would be along the lines of what jonrev just said, Mean Streak really is not that rough. Its just a snooze fest. It has no airtime. Its a gentle giant, that's it in my opinion. It's a little bumpy, but nothing intolerable.
JT3

Postby JimPanky on July 9th, 2014, 10:10 am
Very interesting topic. Im sure well all think of more.
JimPanky

Postby Foltzy on July 9th, 2014, 3:16 pm
I really like suspended coasters. I think the swinging is great. Like I thought iron dragon and what was flight deck. They were great
Foltzy

Postby JT3 on July 10th, 2014, 11:45 am
^ Yeah suspended coasters are really fun. I don't really care for Iron Dragon, but Ninja is really fun and Big Bad Wolf was good too.
JT3

Postby BBH on July 10th, 2014, 1:51 pm
Dark Knight is ****ing dreadful. Awful, awful ride that no one should praise in the slightest.

I thought Wildfire was better than Powder Keg.

I think Viper, barring Goliath, is the best ride in the park.

X-Flight is deteriorating rather quickly while Eagle and Bull ride better every time.
"Remove this man before I commit an act of violence against him."
-Ron Swanson
BBH

Postby Foltzy on July 10th, 2014, 1:56 pm
BBH wrote:Dark Knight is ****ing dreadful. Awful, awful ride that no one should praise in the slightest.

X-Flight is deteriorating rather quickly while Eagle and Bull ride better every time.

Dark knight. It's name is the crap knight

I think blue eagle rides better. Red I think has gotten worse. Also the signs on blue are good
Foltzy

Postby tribar on July 10th, 2014, 4:27 pm
BBH wrote:Dark Knight is ****ing dreadful. Awful, awful ride that no one should praise in the slightest.

What do you find so bad about Dark Knight
tribar

Postby BBH on July 10th, 2014, 4:27 pm
Rough, boring, painful, and unenjoyable. Easily the worst out of the 22 coasters I've ridden.
"Remove this man before I commit an act of violence against him."
-Ron Swanson
BBH

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 10th, 2014, 5:44 pm
tribar wrote:

What do you find so bad about Dark Knight

The camera pretty much temporarily blinds you. And when you get your vision back... SULFIDE! A subway train that nearly gives people a heart attack. Theater Royale was a MUCH better attraction. TDK is the worst coaster in the park. Easily

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Next

Return to General Coaster Talk