Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Unpopular Opinions

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby coasterlove on July 23rd, 2014, 10:56 pm
sfgam-fan wrote:The one thing that disturbed me was the unprofessionalism of the ride operators. The operators at Hades didn't check people's restraints, and when the trains left the station, they sat down on the floor of the platform with their feet in the track well. Then when the train came back they'd stand up on the track, hop up onto the platform, and advance the train into the station. They did it for every cycle while I was in the station. I half expected them to light up cigarettes and smoke at the same time! It was funny but in a completely disturbing way. This was a few years ago so maybe they've improved.

I agree because that's what I've thought the few times I've been there. The last time I was there was also a few years ago. They do seem unprofessional to me and it makes me worry about the safety of the people who go there that might not know enough to take precautions themselves. I've seen at many parks where employees have pushed a restraint down another notch because there was still room to do so or make sure riders fastened their seatbelts, etc. I noticed that many ride ops seemed careless and not very interested in doing their job. Considering that the coasters there run one train, they have downtime so it's not like they're 'overworked' like working on a coaster that runs three or more trains and needs constant attention. If the park needs to give them a seat to rest in between boarding to avoid sitting between cycles in the coaster well. I saw one ride op cross through right as the train was about to enter. Anyone that's been there knows the final brake run is the station itself and it flies in there. One slip and that ride op is a goner.

As for my unpopular opinion, I liked Shockwave a lot. It was one of the few intense coasters they had and it was huge! I know a lot of people don't like Superman that replaced it so that part of the opinion isn't all that unpopular. My other unpopular opinion is that I really don't like American Eagle anymore at all. I went on it last year for what might be my last time. It's just uncomfortably rough and the seats on it suck with that stupid lapbar design. Whether they gave it a possible RMC treatment or just got rid of it, just please do something with it. Such a huge piece of land there for what is a bad coaster in my (un)popular opinion.
coasterlove

Postby MNSFGAmfan on November 8th, 2014, 1:04 pm
As much as I liked Goliath's zero-G stall, it didn't blow me away like everyone else says it does. It's still one of my favorite coaster elements, but I thought the first drop was better.
MNSFGAmfan

Postby RollingCoasting on February 12th, 2017, 2:15 pm
Lol
Last edited by RollingCoasting on April 8th, 2018, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollingCoasting

Postby Tardis1972 on February 12th, 2017, 3:27 pm
^ I agree with you on Lightning Rod. No way it should of won best new attraction for 2016 seeing how much it was closed. As for Cedar Point I completely disagree with you.
Tardis1972

Postby RollingCoasting on February 13th, 2017, 3:07 am
Lol
Last edited by RollingCoasting on April 8th, 2018, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollingCoasting

Postby Tardis1972 on February 13th, 2017, 9:56 am
Ok yeah I'll agree it's a little overrated but its defiantly the top CF park and I've been to the majority of the parks in the chain. This includes: CP, Caro, KI, KD, MA, WOF and VF. I would rank the top parks like this.
1. CP
2. Carowinds
3. CW (haven't visited but I want to)
4. KD
5. KI
So maybe it's because I've been to Cedar Point so many times. Including the last 2 years. In fact up until last year I had gone to CP the year before they opened their next coaster 3 times in a row.
Tardis1972

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on February 13th, 2017, 11:28 am
Alrighty, here we go!

--

1.) Goliath is the 3rd best woodie at SFGAm/Eagle is the best.
Even with all of the RMC glory, Goliath is just missing something, probably about 500 ft of tract to be honest. Storm Chaser blew me away as I was expecting something like Goliath and a certain other RMC that was closed when I visited (I'm talking to you Lightning Rod) would have been fantastic. Eagle offers really everything I look for in a woodie and does them quite well. Are the trims a little (maybe very) annoying? Yes, but Eagle is still a very good ride, especially after 35 years.

2.) Mount Olympus is not the worst park in WI, not even in the WI Dells.
Timber Falls and Avalanche (or is it Roller Coaster, or is it Hellcat?) is by far the scariest amusement park trip I have done. After paying a ridiculous amount of money to ride that Alan Schilke "masterpiece," it rides like there has been zero track work or train rehab ever done. Also, in August, multiple rows were missing lap bars. In fact, you couldn't sit in the 2nd or 6th (I think it was the 6th) rows because there were no restraints. Sure Mt. O is bad, but not that bad. The crown jewel of that park is the log ride which has decent theming and a decent layout for the space available.

3.) Six Flags (at least GAm's) food is not that bad.
After trying quite a few of the dining plan options...
I can say that my favorite meals are the Bacon Chicken Wrap and Pulled Pork. I know that the food is not nealy as quality as it once was, but there are still plenty of good meals. Sure, the pizza is not very good, but you don't have to get that. Guy_With_A_Stick said his favorite meal was the Fish and Chips. Does that necessarily sound like a good idea to get from a SFGAm? Not unless you like gas station sushi. Turns out they nailed it! This being said, I am really excited to see what changes are coming to the Dining Pass for next year, especially to see what Macho Nacho will serve.

4.) Raging Bull is the best hyper*
I know, I know. My coaster count is only 122 and I haven't ridden that many, but Bull has a really unique and interesting layout unlike the straight lines or L shaped layouts. Magnum hurts, Wild Thing feel like it should have more air, but doesn't, and Diamondback felt like it was kind of meh. Bull has an amazing first drop, fun over banks, and very strong floater air. I will keep this updated after I ride Phantom, Nitro, and Superman @ SFA, but for now, this stands.

5.) I like the old Sally shooters better than the new ones
Justice League was a fantastic addition to the park last year, but I just love the old school corniness of the cardboard cut out sets that can be found on the old ones. I love Den of Lost Thieves at Indiana Beach and Gobbler Getaway at Holiday World, both of which are a ton of fun (and don't have 2 hour lines everyday). I am glad that JL has real sets to go along with the screens which makes it better than the Triotech ones for sure, but I would rather hold that laser gun and shoot the targets than fire into a digital picture.

Just my two cents! If I come up with anymore, I'll be sure to post them.

* = for now :lol:

Thanks,
Whiz
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Tardis1972 on February 13th, 2017, 2:10 pm
^ Den of Lost Theives is one of my favorite dark rides as well. Back when I was younger I used to go to IB a lot and I would always ride it.
Tardis1972

Postby CoasterRiderSC on February 14th, 2017, 7:18 pm
Two rides that really take a lot of heat from many on here

Superman - Yes, I know it could use 1-2 more elements (see Manta at Sea World) but the ride is still fun and enjoyable. I think no other ride has the "lift hill anxiety" of new riders as much as this ride. And it has a very unique riding position. That pretzel loop packs a punch!

I also don't understand why some miss Shockwave so much. If you think Demon is rough and causes headaches, I've got news for you, Shock Wave was 100x worse! And that first drop on Shockwave was a big disappointment because it wasn't steep at all.

Dark Knight - I don't get the hatred for this ride. It's not meant to be an absolute thrill ride. It's a fun family coaster that is very enjoyable. And it is ALWAYS up and running.

Queue the hate mail.......
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on February 22nd, 2017, 4:38 pm
MNSFGAmfan wrote:As much as I liked Goliath's zero-G stall, it didn't blow me away like everyone else says it does. It's still one of my favorite coaster elements, but I thought the first drop was better.

I agree with you on this point a little bit. My fave part of Goliath is the first drop (I must be in the last 2 rows) and the airtime hill. The zero-G stall is OK but I would have much rather had a longer layout with several more airtime hills like El Toro.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterCale on March 23rd, 2017, 4:28 pm
My favorite Cedar Fair Park is Canada's Wonderland. Cedar Point is definitely overrated but the operations are great. Coasters are good. (Blue Streak, Top Thrill, Magnum, and Maverick) I don't judge other parks until I've visited. La Ronde has decent coasters but that did not make up for the fact that the park was horribly managed and half of the credits aren't even on Flash Pass.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Previous

Return to General Coaster Talk