Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Obesity Added to Ride Regulations: YES or No?

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby Cove26flags on April 7th, 2014, 1:50 pm
In light of coaster accidents involving people flying out, do you think obesity should be added to the WARNINGS Panel placed before every ride? Since ride operators are too afraid to confront a rider and say "hey I think you may be to big to ride, its for your own safety" They let em ride anyways! I always say that really obese people should have some personal responsiblity to know that they cannot ride something, I mean its really not that hard. Who's blame for these incidents? I mean parks are being sued out the A** for this crap and its not fair.
Cove26flags

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 7th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Again, it is up to the ride manufacturer to determine how far the restraint must be down to be effective.
DejaVu2001

Postby Viper 88 on April 8th, 2014, 10:15 am
Being larger myself I always try the test seat. But sometimes the test seats don't work because jack asses are hanging all over them and breaking them and doing god knows what to them. But also regarding ride manufacturers why can't they realize that Americans are large? I mean if Disney can implement "Pooh Bear Seats" then why can't other parks? Zamperla is the biggest offender, I would laso say that B&M and Intamin are absolutely the worst in terms of coasters.
Viper 88

Postby Ace on April 8th, 2014, 7:49 pm
This would be a PR nightmare, its easier to leave it to the manufacturer.
-Remember there's nothing but air beneath the chair.
Ace

Postby TwistedSTEEL666 on April 10th, 2014, 3:34 pm
I would say yes for some coasters, no for others. If you cant fit in the seat or the restraint wont lock properly then you cant ride. I have seen 200lb. to 300lb. people ride the coasters at SFGAm, and no one stopped them. Some of them were even able to stuff themselves so deep in the seat that they ended up looking like a displaced and crampped sardine in a too small can. It was funny too. :P Anything for one ride, right?
SECOND 2014 VISIT: May 24th, 2014.
2014 Season Pass Holder

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?" - The 4th Doctor (Doctor Who).

Antonio Aguilera
https://www.facebook.com/BEAMER3K
http://beamer3k.deviantart.com/
View my artwork.
TwistedSTEEL666

Postby Muck Finnesota on April 11th, 2014, 12:31 am
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. Some coasters have max height limits, and all have minimum height requirements. They're enforced for safety reasons- how is excessive girth any different if it would jeopardize the safety of the rider?

Several years ago, I was waiting for Raging Bull in the station house. I'll never forget how sad I felt for a larger woman that had trouble securing the lap bar. One of the ride ops came over to assist and was basically throwing all of his weight onto the bar in an effort to secure her (to no avail). The way I remember it, another op joined in (that part is fuzzy to me, not 100% sure on that). This went on for what felt like a few minutes and resulted in stacking. As this was going on, it got very quiet in the station and drew everyone's attention. I can't imagine how she must have felt. She ended up not being able to ride.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby FParker185 on April 11th, 2014, 5:37 pm
Yep, there is already a weight warning on just about every sign at Six Flags and I believe Cedar Fair, says riders of exceptional size may not be able to ride due to the design of the restraint system.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Goku1910 on April 11th, 2014, 10:37 pm
Viper 88 wrote:why can't they realize that Americans are large?

That's like saying you're large for the sole reason of being an American. I'm American and I'm underweight. I'm about to sound like the worst person on the planet but the only person to blame is yourself. You can do something about it and I know others that have. America does have an obesity problem, but don't go pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

In my personal opinion it should stay as it stands where the manufacturer decides how far the restraint goes.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby w00dland on April 11th, 2014, 11:26 pm
The simple (yet sad) answer is - if more obese people fall out of rides, parks will tighten the hammer on size restrictions. Certainly worth a few angry guests to prevent a death, negative press and a lawsuit.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby Goku1910 on April 12th, 2014, 11:03 am
w00dland wrote:The simple (yet sad) answer is - if more obese people fall out of rides, parks will tighten the hammer on size restrictions. Certainly worth a few angry guests to prevent a death, negative press and a lawsuit.

There's a problem with that. If the park does modify the restraint system then the responsibility moves to them. Not a lot of parks are willing to take that risk if there is a lawsuit down the line.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby GoBears on April 12th, 2014, 4:50 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
Viper 88 wrote:why can't they realize that Americans are large?

That's like saying you're large for the sole reason of being an American. I'm American and I'm underweight. I'm about to sound like the worst person on the planet but the only person to blame is yourself. You can do something about it and I know others that have. America does have an obesity problem, but don't go pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

In my personal opinion it should stay as it stands where the manufacturer decides how far the restraint goes.

Well, "the only person to blame is yourself" isn't always the case for rare exceptions of being overweight with certain medical conditions. I'm living proof of that. However, I completely understand any restrictions manufacturers have because of the way different harnesses are built. I have no problem with it since they're for the safety of the guests.
Founder of http://www.sfgamnation.com
Favorite Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force
Favorite Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Beast 3. American Eagle
GoBears

Postby w00dland on April 13th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
w00dland wrote:The simple (yet sad) answer is - if more obese people fall out of rides, parks will tighten the hammer on size restrictions. Certainly worth a few angry guests to prevent a death, negative press and a lawsuit.

There's a problem with that. If the park does modify the restraint system then the responsibility moves to them. Not a lot of parks are willing to take that risk if there is a lawsuit down the line.

Not what I meant. I don't believe they will modify any type of restraints, I just mean they will add even more redundancies that make riding tougher for larger guests.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby tp41190 on April 14th, 2014, 4:56 pm
I think it depends on the park, and how willing they are to accommodate.

Certain states, or regions, are fatter then others. It would be in the interest of parks in the Deep South region, or the bible belt, to offer "big boy seat" modifications to rides. A park like Dorney, Dollywood, SFOG, ect have more fat people visiting in comparison to a park in Colorado or Washington.

The other danger to parks are having very restrictive ride sizes. All it takes is a 400lb white trash person to sue a park because they can't fit on any of the rides.

I bet this will come off mean, but...eh...
Sadly instead of our country being interested in fixing the problem, we are more worried about accommodating people without hurting their feelings. Roller coasters are not for everyone. Just like not everyone can sky dive, not everyone can be properly restrained in machinery, throwing you around 200ft in the air.
[read]
tp41190

Postby FParker185 on April 14th, 2014, 6:42 pm
Perhaps parks should have teat seats out front, if you don't fit, you pay child price or something like that. To much hassle though. Then if you fit in the seat out front, but not on the real ride, there will be hell to pay.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby CoasterCale on April 20th, 2014, 12:39 am
FParker185 wrote: Then if you fit in the seat out front, but not on the real ride, there will be hell to pay.

This happened so much at the parks in Texas, especially with NTG and IR. People get the green outside but can't fit and then blame the ride ops. I feel so bad for them. :oops:
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby Luxornv on June 11th, 2014, 1:34 am
Just from my observations, it seems like some of the newer rides are being made to handle larger people. Not to mention, we also have the big boy seats featured on some B&Ms. Some people have also brought up the issue that if the restraints aren't large enough, it prevents people who likely have medical conditions from riding. However, being overweight is not exactly a sign of someone with heart problems. Some people are just overweight and enjoy food a little too much, but don't have any of the related health issues to go with it. That may not always be the case for those people though. It's really up to the manufacturers though. They need to take into account what a typical person who would ride their rides is built, and then design a proper restraint system around that. That could be why some newer rides are starting to have larger seats (again, just my observation, someone else may see this differently).
Luxornv

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on June 11th, 2014, 1:47 am
Luxornv wrote: we also have the big boy seats featured on some B&Ms.

Yes, such as the 4th row on X-Flight (with the red seatbelts). I have seen some workers swap rows so the larger riders can ride but other times they have just been told they can't ride. Why don't they make note of the 4th row on X-Flight being able to accommodate larger riders?
Iron Wolf 90-11

Return to General Coaster Talk